21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:07:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Tickets not available"  (Read 779 times)
Clan Line

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2023, 12:47:28 »

My daughter was planning to travel from Kent to Warminster today. She had to cancel at the last minute - but the planned journey has come up with something I do not understand.

She checked the train times/fares a few days ago and found a service from Kent via WAE/WAT to WMN» (Warminster - next trains) on a Super Off Peak Return ticket...............but it said "via Southampton". This struck me as a bit odd - so I checked it online and it was there exactly as she had said. She intended to buy her ticket from the machine on her local station (often not manned) on the day of departure.
Last night I checked that the trains were still running OK and found that her chosen route now said "tickets not available". I could not find any fares quoted for her planned jouney.

Question: If I had not checked the status of her chosen train - what would have happened if she had purchased a Super Off Peak ticket (as the web site had told her a few days previously) and boarded this train ? I have now been told that "via SOU" is not a valid route so, she would not have had a valid ticket. A £100 Penalty fare + £?? to make the ticket valid ..............who knows ? That is assuming that the Guard/gate staff would have had a clue as to what was going on either!

She would have had absolutely no proof that she bought her ticket in good faith - and I also checked that this fare/route was valid. I assumed it was valid as the reduced service from WAT to SAL, (because of the problems at Hook) now meant that it was actually quicker to do this journey via SOU - no 58 min wait at SAL !

I have told her take a screen shot of any fares/routes that she is "offered" on the web in future.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before ? or can offer an insight as to what is/was going on ?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 13:16:18 »

She would have had absolutely no proof that she bought her ticket in good faith - and I also checked that this fare/route was valid. I assumed it was valid as the reduced service from WAT to SAL, (because of the problems at Hook) now meant that it was actually quicker to do this journey via SOU - no 58 min wait at SAL !

I have told her take a screen shot of any fares/routes that she is "offered" on the web in future.

Yes, she would - the ticket itself. If she'd had the ticket sold by a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) or ticket office, that is a contract to travel. The route would almost certainly have been printed on the ticket. If it wasn't available then the 'offer' would have been said to have been withdrawn & she would have had to choose an available ticket at point of purchase.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 15:38:00 »

Yes, you are probably correct to a degree, but your response almost seems to imply that you should take a legal advisor with you before setting out on a train journey. Perhaps my daughter should get a "two together" card.

You are answering my question from the same viewpoint as I was when I "queried" her statement regarding travel via SOU - you and I both have some experience of the peculiarities of the ticket system. My daughter, like the overwhelming majority of rail travellers, is not quite so au fait with the ticketing jungle.

She had been told by a TOC (Train Operating Company) website that a £48.60 ticket would take her to WMN» (Warminster - next trains) via SOU.  I had checked that on the GWR (Great Western Railway) and NR» (Network Rail - home page) websites and found that to be correct. Why, then a couple of days later, should she have to read all the small print on her ticket as to what route she can use - having already been told that ? Also, I would hazard a guess and say that the ticket might well have carried the usual meaningless statement about "valid on any permitted route" (talk about blindingly obvious) ..............totally useless to the average rail traveller ! Routes printed on tickets are invariably sketchy to say the least. Would it have said NOT valid via SOU (or Weymouth ?) - more likely to have said via SAL, which it still was !

The web tells would-be passengers to check valid routes on the National Rail website -  I did just that - and was told the route and fare, on the day in question, were both valid. Why check two days later that they still are valid ? The web also tells would be passengers that they can check on the National Routing Guide................how many people have even heard of that document, let alone how to use it ? ("PLEASE NOTE this guide is of necessity a complex document" - from the ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) website !) OR to ask the Ticket Seller (if there is one there). I did ask the very competent lady at WMN station this morning - she couldn't explain it either, but did (after a lot of keyboard bashing) offer a multi ticket route via SOU for £85.............NR couldn't offer any fare.

Had I not double checked her designated train (just to see if it was still running) my daughter could well have ended up putting forward a seemingly “the dog ate my homework” excuse - when a hungry dog actually did………………and still have got a large bill !!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 16:13:01 »

You forget that checking  a TOC (Train Operating Company) website for a fare only means that the fare is available at time of checking and/or purchasing.

Same for any retail website - the cost may change at any time.

Tickets also have a validity - as does any ticket to travel. If you don't travel in the validity period, it is null & void. Thus, you need to specify (at least) the outward date at time of purchase, from which the validity period of the outward would start. Some tickets have to be started on the date of outward travel, some (singles?) are valid for 3 days including the specified date.

All this covers most/all of what you are discussing. It's the same for any travel tickets.

I do suspect that the ticket had added validity while the disruption on the SW main line was ongoing, and that got removed between the time your daughter looked it up & the time she went to buy the ticket/checked it a second time. Again, similar things happen across travel.

Had I not double checked her designated train (just to see if it was still running) my daughter could well have ended up putting forward a seemingly “the dog ate my homework” excuse - when a hungry dog actually did………………and still have got a large bill !!

She wouldn't, because she wouldn't have been able to purchase the 'wrong' ticket as it was no longer available for sale at the time she would have been buying it.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 17:23:19 »

Slightly off-topic: use the National Rail site to look for returns from say Ashford International to Warminster and the site's pretty much reduced to tears, with liberal routings via Southampton on offer, combined with ample helpings of 'No fares available for this journey' and, when other tickets is selected, 'Sorry, service error'.

The days of well used, secure, reliable and comfortable through trains, running at convenient times between Waterloo and Bristol - that even set out with a well-stocked catering trolley - that feels like a long time ago.

Mark
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 23:03:00 »

Slightly off-topic: use the National Rail site to look for returns from say Ashford International to Warminster and the site's pretty much reduced to tears, with liberal routings via Southampton on offer, combined with ample helpings of 'No fares available for this journey' and, when other tickets is selected, 'Sorry, service error'.

The £80.40 fare is "any permitted" route, with a Maltese Cross indicating valid for travel between London Terminals.

It is hard to understand why it is valid Ashford-Waterloo East-Waterloo-Basingstoke-Warminster
also valid via Ashford-St Pancras-Paddington-Westbury-Warminster

but NOT valid via Ashford-St Pancras-Waterloo-Basingstoke-Warminster (at least, the Nat Rail JP thinks there isn't a valid ticket, which is the "de facto" indication of a lack of validity).

Huh Roll Eyes Cry Angry
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 10:15:39 »

It is hard to understand why it is valid Ashford-Waterloo East-Waterloo-Basingstoke-Warminster
also valid via Ashford-St Pancras-Paddington-Westbury-Warminster

but NOT valid via Ashford-St Pancras-Waterloo-Basingstoke-Warminster (at least, the Nat Rail JP thinks there isn't a valid ticket, which is the "de facto" indication of a lack of validity).

It is interesting to know how the lack of validity would be identified as the only difference is in central London where the Maltese cross indicates acceptance between London terminals.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: