Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:42:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slow Death Of Heathrow Express?  (Read 2245 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2023, 10:38:53 »

When discussing Crossrail, commenters have often speculated on the ultimate demise of Heathrow Express – the private train operating company that runs a non-stop express service between Paddington and Heathrow. This speculation is generally predicated on the belief that once the Elizabeth line runs to Heathrow no-one in their right mind would bother with Heathrow Express. Such speculation was generally that – merely speculation – but now facts and whispers are beginning to emerge, suggesting that maybe Heathrow Express won’t exist by the end of the decade. Here we provide some of the reasons that cast doubt upon the continuing existence of Heathrow Express.
This article from London Reconnections is largely a rehash of previous "people are saying"s, but one factor that could not be known in advance was the impact of Crossrail. How would passengers' choice divide between faster but only to Paddington and slower and further? The answer should be coming in soon; I think it's more as impressions than proper statistics so far.

Pedantic of Purley's suggestion is that HEx is losing out in this competition, which does not surprise me for one. Old Oak common station will also have a big impact, which also speculated about. The rest is a matter of looking for clues about how this might all play out.

One point I think is missing from the analysis is the commercial interest of Heathrow (the airport). While HEx, as a separate "operator" that subcontracts the running of its trains, may have making a profit of some sort as its objective, that was set by HAL, its owners. They set up HEx, and built the line, to attract air passengers and airlines, and to contribute to overall profits. I'd guess that HEx's operating profit barely features on that spreadsheet. So if more Elizabeth Line trains attracts the punters, they will be all for it.

(Note that the current board structure hasn't got anywhere for Heathrow Express - but as this is equally about Crossrail and its impact on HEx, this looks the best slot.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 13:12:45 by stuving » Logged
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:43:53 »

Rather more handwavy than one expects from London Reconnections - there's a lot of "probably" and "possibly" and "almost certainly" in there. I wonder if they have been tipped off by an unattributable source.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 12:43:53 »

Not the best of their articles by some way if truth be told, but certainly the HEx services I've seen recently have been very quiet.  It has come as no surprise to me that is the case.

In May direct links from the airport to Stratford, Romford and Shenfield start and that will weaken its appeal even more, though I suspect even now people opt to change at Paddington and stay on the Elizabeth Line platforms rather than trudge upstairs to save a few minutes.

The main line paths HEx uses may be very useful in the future for more fast longer distance fast services, though the impact of Covid has put the brakes on that demand a little for the time being at least.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 15:44:22 »

In a tourist group I have seen people say that the Heathrow Express Advance Tickets are in general quite a bit above the floor price of £5.50 and are completely unavailable on some days through May and June. From a revenue management perspective they must think they are not in a fire sale yet but they may also believe they no longer have to undercut the Elizabeth line.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 07:02:20 »

When I have friends contact me about the best way to get from Heathrow to a central London hotel, I now recommend the Elizabeth Line.  Although my friends from the USA are obsessed with the concept of "Express" it has to be better ... right they say, until I point out they have to change trains at Paddington.

The only thing that could potentially save HEX would be the Western access to the GW (Great Western) Mainline allowing HEX services to access Reading.  I can see the HEX 387's being de-branded and returned to the general fleet.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 07:24:07 »

The purpose of the Elizabeth Line is to abstract traffic from other services ... isn't it?   

Someone asked if "anyone with sense" would use Heathrow Express.   Minimal personal experience, but I have found it to be expensive compared to Heathrow Connect, but over marketed so that it catches visitors who don't know about the other option.   On the very, very times I flew to or from Heathrow, it was change at Ayes and Arlington and Reading ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 08:43:18 »

In view of the following information I am bound to say I think the predicted death of the Heathrow Express might take longer than expected or not happen at all.

SWTSMBO (She Who Thinks She Must Be Obeyed) and I are travelling from LHR to SIN in mid-September (to attend a family wedding - yes, another one!) and I have just booked 2 HEx Railcard Fixed Day Single Standard tickets for the princely sum of £7.30 so the headline cheap tickets are certainly (?sometimes) easy to obtain if bought well in advance.

Looking on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) website Fares section I find:
'All Tube and Elizabeth journeys to and from Heathrow Airport are charged peak fares if they start, end or go through Zone 1.'

and:
'Peak: £12.20 - Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.
Off Peak: £8.05 - At all other times including public holidays.'
(These are the 2023 Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) with National Railcard prices)

So, unless I have completely misunderstood something, £3.65 for a 15 minute trip v £12.20 (although the journey planner says £11.50) for a 34 minute trip. No brainer (dons tin hat).
Also the change from GWR (Great Western Railway) to HEx is generally much easier than GWR to TfL at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).   
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 17:49:39 »

HEX now sell advances from one year ahead of the date of travel. They used to cut off at three months but this has disappeared from the T&Cs so they are free to take them off sale earlier.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 19:25:03 »

I also agree that Heathrow Express's demise may well be longer drawn out than is postulated at the moment.

This is a bit of an anecdote and it was all about a dozen years ago but I think it still has some relevance. Back then I had a contract in München which ran for a bit more than three years with the result that I travelled home to Reading every three to four weeks and I came to the conclusion that the reason slow access to airports is such a pain is that planes are so quick.

There is an hours time shift between the UK (United Kingdom) and Germany and my work started at 7.30 on Monday morning; it takes a shade over an hour to fly from Heathrow to München wheels off to wheels down. There are two S-Bahn routes between the Airport and the Hbf, S1 and S8 and each one takes about 45 minutes; each has a twenty minute frequency so there is an all-stations S-Bahn train from the airport to the city every ten minutes but to get to Pasing to the west of Munich - where I had a flat - the shortest route was the S1 to Laim where I changed to a west-bound service with an additional delay of typically eight or ten minutes late on a Sunday evening. The last thing I wanted to do is to sit in Neufahrn or Ismaning stations at 22.50, having left home at about 16.00, knowing that I still had the best part of an hour to go before I reached Pasing and could get to bed.

Getting from the Münchener Flughafen to my bed took just as long, if not longer, than the flight from Heathrow to München. One leg was 35 km long and the other 950 km.

I would happily have paid extra for a fast train link to München, I frequently did pay for a taxi direct from the airport to my flat. Getting into bed an hour earlier was well worth the €30 or so it cost me instead of the €9 or €10 [1] that the S-Bahn cost - and I still had to pay for a taxi at Pasing from the station to my flat as by that time on a Sunday night that bus route no longer ran.

Travel is not always about doing it the cheapest way possible.

[1] Prices from a dozen years ago.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 22:10:42 »

Travel is not always about doing it the cheapest way possible.
Totally agree. Paying a bit extra, sometimes even quite a bit extra, can make a big difference to a journey experience.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 17:29:43 »

Bear in mind that HAL will still own the tunnel into the airport from Airport Junction & thus will be charging TfL» (Transport for London - about) for access, so continue to obtain profit from it even when HEX finishes.

Talking of HEX, when does the contract with NR» (Network Rail - home page)/ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) come to an end? HAL will then need to obtain another contract for open access into Paddington, and I can't see HAL giving HEX uip before that finish date. After that, who knows....
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 18:02:48 »

Talking of HEX, when does the contract with NR» (Network Rail - home page)/ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) come to an end? HAL will then need to obtain another contract for open access into Paddington, and I can't see HAL giving HEX uip before that finish date. After that, who knows....

The track access agreement and the operating contract with GWR (Great Western Railway) both run until 2028.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 18:58:00 »

Can't see it going before that, there's probably an early-exit payment with GWR (Great Western Railway)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: