Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 06:58:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worcestershire Parkway, and ticketing  (Read 946 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2023, 12:43:49 »

It might be that Worcestershire Parkway, which rejoices in a somewhat politically incorrect three letter station code, also has a slightly special place in the fares firmament. Or perhaps it's just joined the many other stations, which, when it comes to fares, are a bit special.

Both Crosscountry and GWR (Great Western Railway) offer fares, and GWR's can be up to half the price but at the same time not confined to 'GWR services only'.

https://www.brfares.com/!expert?orig=bth&dest=WOP

In terms of split ticketing opportunities, perhaps Worcestershire Parkway is 'The new Didcot'. But a flea in the traveller's ointment is that there's ~1 direct train to and from Bristol. My new year bank holiday monday experience of connecting into an Edinburgh - Plymouth voyager there seems to have been a one off.

Also, the meaning and implications of 'Flow origin' and 'Flow destination'. If someone can point me to some reading on *that*...

Mark

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 13:18:36 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) don't offer any direct services so a change necessary in Worcester SH/FS and a lot longer journey.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 13:38:04 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) don't offer any direct services so a change necessary in Worcester SH/FS and a lot longer journey.
Edit  - mention of BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) and WOP to help out the Automatic Acronymy system

I don't see that you need to change in Worcester SH/FS. Looking at the standard class walk-up fares on offer at https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=BTH&dest=WOP (see attached screenshot), they're only marked "not via Birmingham".

How the industry can explain CrossCountry's Anytime Return price of £181.70 (any permitted route) as against GWR's £44.90 (not via Birmingham) is beyond me. 

Perhaps any fare that has not been sold for (say) two years should be deleted from the Fares Manual.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 14:06:15 by grahame » Logged
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 14:01:30 »

On the good side, I'm still in awe at the number of routing possibiliities on a day return from Bath Spa. Out or return via Swindon and the Stroud Valley, via Bristol Parkway and Gloucester, or... the juries still out as to whether via Newport and Hereford is valid too, but that's a lot of railway - scenery - and breaks of journey - for the money.

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 14:20:15 »

I have been give a fare via Didcot and Oxford, and given a service with a single change at Reading, but "no fares available".   I wonder about Bath - Swindon - Parkway - Gloucester - Worcestershire Parkway.    A also wonder about a change at Severn Tunnel Junction.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 15:14:43 »

I have been give a fare via Didcot and Oxford, and given a service with a single change at Reading, but "no fares available".   I wonder about Bath - Swindon - Parkway - Gloucester - Worcestershire Parkway.    A also wonder about a change at Severn Tunnel Junction.

Perhaps better with an easement to Newport.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 15:29:46 »

Very much doubt those fares are valid via Newport?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 15:30:15 »

On the good side, I'm still in awe at the number of routing possibiliities on a day return from Bath Spa. Out or return via Swindon and the Stroud Valley, via Bristol Parkway and Gloucester, or... the juries still out as to whether via Newport and Hereford is valid too, but that's a lot of railway - scenery - and breaks of journey - for the money.

Mark

There are several ... but there is a difference between "to/from" and "via", and 700233 which is the closest is for Bristol Parkway - so if you do the Severn Tunnel from Bristol Temple Meads it does not apply.

700233 Doubleback,  Customers travelling from/to/via Bristol Parkway via Chepstow may double back between Severn Tunnel Junction and Newport. This easement applies in both directions.

700464 Local,  Customers travelling from Lydney or Chepstow to Bristol TM(resolve) may travel via Newport. This easement applies in both directions.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 15:33:29 »

So NOT to Worcestershire Parkway
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 15:36:53 »

Very much doubt those fares are valid via Newport?

Agreed - I am offered BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) -> WOP fares with a change at Severn Tunnel Junction, (18:53 tonight) but not doubling back via Newport.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 15:57:34 »

And change again at Gloucester/Worcester Stations (GWR (Great Western Railway)) or Cheltenham (XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)))
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 17:00:20 »

Also, the meaning and implications of 'Flow origin' and 'Flow destination'. If someone can point me to some reading on *that*...

Mark

It's (sort of) there in the BRfares.com page itself though it's all a bit arcane.  Stations are sometimes grouped into clusters where it makes sense for them to have the same fares to somewhere else, noting that a single station might actually be in several clusters for fares purposes as well as being a standalone station, eg to another station in the same cluster or another nearby. A "Flow" is then the full set of fares between two clusters via a specific route, such as "NOT BIRMINGHAM", "ANY PERMITTED" etc. The Flow Origin and Flow Destination are just the start and end points (station or cluster as appropriate) for that Flow.  A particular operator sets all the fares for a Flow, but as in this case there may be different owners of different Flows covering the same Origin/Destination pair. A cluster incidentally might involve stations close to each other, or further apart but comparable in other ways, such as in a ring around a major station for pricing to that station.

I can't track down any documentation on Flows though it must exist if only in the contractual details of rail franchising, and the Routing Guide https://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide doesn't help.  I would though say that in general it's not something the average passenger needs to worry about, and even as a so-called expert I rarely used BRfares.com in Expert mode as it just adds clutter. "Simple" mode is complicated enough for me!

In terms of the specific journey, I suspect the "ANY PERMITTED" fare which presumably allows travel via Birmingham and Didcot (or Reading, even?) has to be ridiculously high to stop it undercutting fares for parts of the allowed route. I'm guessing that some hard-pressed civil servant back in 1996 when the valid routes were defined felt it had to be included as an option, but it's hard to see why, though having decided it should exist then Cross Country is the logical fare setter. Just maybe it's the sort of thing that will be dealt with under the long-promised simplification of fares and only the more logical routes will be valid at all so there won't need to be separate fares.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 17:21:23 »

Thanks for this, appreciated.

Mark
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 18:11:19 »

Ah, looks like BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) - WOP 'Via Hereford' - including a change at Newport - is fine for that day return fare, at least as far as the National Rail web site is concerned. Screenshot to follow.

It's also possible to find a fare to travel (expensively and rather more quickly but not that quick) via Newport and then on a direct train to WOP via Chepstow etc.

Mark
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: