Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:52:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best fare option for 4 on / 4 off overnight shifts?  (Read 1545 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 20, 2023, 18:51:53 »

A fare advice request I have received, from someone who lives in Melksham and will be working in Swindon, overnight, 4 nights on and 4 nights off.

"Simply" done, I don't think it can be 4 return tickets from Melksham like the sort I would suggest for day rather than night shifts.

Options:

1. Single tickets

2. Single ticket to Swindon, first shift. 3 x returns (off peak?) Swindon to Melksham, and a single ticket home on the morning after the final shift

3. 7 day season ticket (and that be bought at Melksham) for each 8 day session

4. Monthly season?

5. Are flexiseasons any use here?

6. Any other bright ideas?

I would appreciate if someone can pick up / detail this for me / advise - I am currently bobbing about on the Gulf of Mexico with limited research tools here!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 19:12:25 »

Flexi-seasons could be used, but if the mid-4-day-shift journeys are off-peak, you would need to work out the difference in total fares between your suggestion number 1 & the flexi-season cost. But they're 8 days in 28, but they can be used 4 consecutive days x2 = 8 joneys - covers 2 turns of 8 days quite well.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 20:00:32 »

Flexi-seasons could be used, ... but they can be used 4 consecutive days x2 = 8 joneys - covers 2 turns of 8 days quite well.

Ah - are they valid 24 hours at a time or 8 single journeys each way then, rather than 8 calendared days?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 20:27:57 »

Good point, sorry.

I beiieve they are single journeys, however, usung an outward may well mean using the return same day. Anyone know for sure?
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 20:30:05 »

tap in and out at each end, job done. Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 01:49:52 »

Starting to answer my own question .... my recommendation:

First evening - off peak single to Swindon - £8.70
After work next morning - off peak return Swindon to Melksham  - £8.80
Two more round trips in the same way - £8.80 + £8.80
Last morning - off peak single back to Melksham - £8.70
Total Fare - £43.80 per 4 day "working week"

Melksham to Swindon - anytime single £10.00, anytime day return £11.90
Melksham to Swindon - off pealk single £8.70, off peak day return £8.80
(Off peak fares are valid from 09:29 from Melksham and from 08:44 from Swindon)

Alternative if ever occasional extra trips needed OR to save a lot of hassler
7 day season ticket (one needed for each 4 day "week") - £49.30

Another alternative:
Monthly season ticket - £189.40

Flexiseason - £87.20
Unlimited travel is permitted on 8 days within: Validity: 28 DAYS (28 days)
Would cover a week and a half each.  Not the right product

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 06:38:59 »

tap in and out at each end, job done. Cheesy

Works for me!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 09:21:01 »

Not on that route, it won't! (not available)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 11:47:41 »

I have "liked" that - not because I like the none-availability of the simplifying system but rather to confirm the lack of that sensible solution on our route.   I wonder when it will be introduced?

Further feedback - that awful gap from 06:11 to 08:44 of. train back from Swindon (and worse on a Sunday) is really off-putting to someone who finishes work and can be at Swindon Station at about 7 a.m. ... Logic suggests a train up calling at Melksham at about 06:15, returning with a call at Melksham at 07:40 as the start of a proper hourly service through the day.    Now - should that be run / specified by GWR (Great Western Railway), Goop, DfT» (Department for Transport - about), TransWilts, GBR (Great British Railways), WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)), WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) ... a very real useful service, and from May there is a southbound path for a Melksham call at 07:40 with the 07:53 moving to 08:02.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 12:01:39 »

I have "liked" that - not because I like the none-availability of the simplifying system but rather to confirm the lack of that sensible solution on our route.   I wonder when it will be introduced?

Further feedback - that awful gap from 06:11 to 08:44 of. train back from Swindon (and worse on a Sunday) is really off-putting to someone who finishes work and can be at Swindon Station at about 7 a.m. ... Logic suggests a train up calling at Melksham at about 06:15, returning with a call at Melksham at 07:40 as the start of a proper hourly service through the day.    Now - should that be run / specified by GWR (Great Western Railway), Goop, DfT» (Department for Transport - about), TransWilts, GBR (Great British Railways), WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)), WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) ... a very real useful service, and from May there is a southbound path for a Melksham call at 07:40 with the 07:53 moving to 08:02.

There's another campaign. Make touch in/out universal. Makes my life a lot easier (Taplow-Bond Street) and no reason why it shouldn't be the same throughout the land........then again........ooooooooo's gonna pay for it?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 12:10:43 »

And you'd need to zone the entire country to make it work. Fares reform has to come first.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 14:30:48 »

And you'd need to zone the entire country to make it work. Fares reform has to come first.

.......is that a Unicorn I see?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 21:10:36 »

.......is that a Unicorn I see?

Oink, Oink, flap, flap, plummet!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 22:28:14 »

Why? The Dutch have have had contactless tap in/out nationwide for years, based on point-point fares. Originally it was based on the OV-chipkaart, but it's just been extended to work with bank cards and mobiles. True, the NS network is not that much bigger (geographically) than the network Card area.

But fares reform would still be needed first.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 10:31:09 »

Because the system has to reserve a maximum amount on your account on tap-in, and then only confirms payment on tap-out.

That maximum could be a lot of money depending on how far the scheme covers
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: