Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:25:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Twyford parking rules could change as Elizabeth Line route opens  (Read 4753 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2022, 10:24:58 »

Get Reading article

"Changes to parking restrictions on various roads in Twyford could be brought in. The proposal comes after two-thirds of people living in the area reported problems on their streets... The three top issues named were commuter parking, which equalled nearly a quarter of the concerns raised (24 per cent) and is only set to get worse now Elizabeth Line trains run directly into central London, followed by inconsiderate parking (17 per cent) and parking too close to junctions (14 per cent)."

Hmm. I wonder if the problem has got worse compared with pre-Pandemic? Despite all the much-publicised expectations about Crossrail, is it really encouraging Twyfordians to venture into Central London?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 10:54:32 »

Car parks in general at stations seem to be a lot busier lately.  Twyford could do with a multi deck car park as it always looks full. 

I miss Stuving’s Wokingham updates!  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 11:39:17 »

Hmm. I wonder if the problem has got worse compared with pre-Pandemic? Despite all the much-publicised expectations about Crossrail, is it really encouraging Twyfordians to venture into Central London?

I would suspect that Twyfordians are not the issue with people parking in the street in Twyford.

There are a lot of people who live a car-based life living to the west of London in communities with little or very limited rail service who never use their local trains, but on occasions visit London and would never dream of taking their car all the way in.   

There have been a number of park-and-ride favourite in the past - ranging from Osterley to Bedwyn but local stations on the Reading to Paddington route wouldn't have made a "top ten" list.   Price of parking, frequency of service, cost of tickets,ease of access of the trunk road network, and directness of service into central London are all factors.

Twyford now has (I think) a sevice every 15 minutes or so DIRECT to the West End (Bond Street and Tottenham Court Road) and the City (Farringdon and Liverpool Street) as well as further east.   Very attractive; the whole yucky business of standing around in Paddington waiting for the next service on a night likeliest night is gone.   So I suspect the uptake at these stations has been not a consequence of covid in any way, but rather the sponge effect of the Elizabeth line doing - err - exactly what was intended!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 13:27:08 »

There have been problems with parking near Twyford station since at least the 1980s.  Many of the streets near the station are filled with terraced houses with no off street parking.  Some of them are only wide enough if cars are parked half on the pavement.   The prices of the houses rocketed as services to London improved before the turn of the century but many kept their cars even though they left them outside their homes all day while catching the train.

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 13:25:24 »

Its not a new problem. Since I've lived there there's been numerous consultations and a gradual push outwards of the restrictions.

When I first moved there the restrictions were a couple of streets away and when I left last year they were one street away with the suggestion that they would be extended again. I was about 15 mins walk from the station. Most of my neighbours didn't want restrictions as it causes problems for them and visitors but equally it gets annoying having someone park across your drive. The most popular suggestion seemed to be no parking at set times as permits just get messy.

All feels a bit academic as there was only parking enforcement on certain days and everyone seemed to know which ones it was Smiley
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 15:03:49 »

No parking between say 12 & 1 usually achieves it
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 18:28:42 »

They are comparable parking restrictions close to Tilehurst Station that were gradually extended as motorists became more and more willing to walk further from their cars to save parking charges.  In the 1990s cars were parked either side of Carlisle Road and on Oxford Road itself. One of my neighbours, then in his early 30s, couldn't be bothered to walk the nine minutes down to the station, parked his car on the road and got it shunted by a vehicle pursued by the police. Houseowners painted their own yellow lines,which the Council quickly removed.

Parking in Carlisle Road is now banned until 1500 on weekdays and there are varying one-hour restrictions in the middle of the day in Oak Tree Road, where commuter parking was proving a real nuisance.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 09:25:44 »

No parking between say 12 & 1 usually achieves it

Also at Didcot.

OTC
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 20:42:48 »

Similar 1 hour restrictions in Goring (for Goring and Streatley), although curiously, they're set for the morning one side of the station and afternoon in roads the other side.

Given the extremely unlikely visit by a traffic warden, this means that there's a 50% chance of not getting a ticket, unless they visit twice in the day or waste several hours admiring the River Thames, or watching passing trains.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 08:37:06 »

I can't recall the last time I saw a traffic warden. Probably in London, before Lockdown. Have they ditched their traditional uniforms with peaked hat for something more 21st century and less conspicuous?  Though now and then the local news websites do publish a league table of Reading roads where tickets have been issued.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: