I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:35:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Bridge, Nuneham: southern abutment failure  (Read 29257 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 18, 2023, 12:00:54 »

New parts, stringers, cross members may be being fabricated to match the new bearings,

Yes I would guess already designed and with the fabricators for production. 

I also notice they have scaffolded the central support so perhaps the central bearings are being given some attention as well. 
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2023, 07:26:16 »

Latest sitrep: https://twitter.com/PaulCliftonBBC/status/1659603035214037004?cxt=HHwWmIC-4dyKjIguAAAA
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2023, 17:32:37 »

A further update here. The video was obviously filmed a few days ago, but the picture in the web page is newer:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 18:56:32 by stuving » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2023, 18:28:15 »

That link doesn't work - it seems to have some '%' signs embedded.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2023, 18:59:42 »

Sorry - my mistake.

A note about dates: Stuart Calvert talks about the "1856 timber structure" - but the original timber bridge was built in 1843, and by inference its abutment was reused in 1856 and 1916 for the two iron bridges. The GWR (Great Western Railway) magazine (posted earlier) only said it was "constructed under the Oxford Railway Act, 1843", and was "replaced in 1849-50". So who's right? I've been looking for old newspapers...

I have just found a piece in the Berkshire Chronicle of 11 November 1843 saying that the first Nuneham bridge started building "on Saturday, and will be completed in about five weeks." As the 11th was a Saturday, that start date was the 4th. I can't find completion recorded, but the line was opened on Wednesday June 12th 1844, and the "journey is performed in something under two hours and a half" (London-Oxford).

For the second bridge, there is a detailed report (Oxford Journal Saturday 20 September 1856) of the inquest into Henry Collett's death by drowning in the Thames. He was a labourer working on the new Nuneham bridge, and "late of Appleford", and several workmates gave evidence. He was last seen alive on Tuesday 9th September, and found under the new bridge on Monday 15th. We don't know from that how long the work took before and after, but those Victorians would likely not need all of a year for that job.

There was another inquest, into the death of a young lad working on the new bridge at Appleford, and that happened in July 1856. So it appears both bridges were rebuilt in wrought iron at the same time. If they were built the same way, at the same time, in the same river, it is pretty likely they both needed replacement together, and of course if the line has to be closed you'd rather do both within one closure.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2023, 18:29:15 »

Another update video from Network Rail via Twitter
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2023, 07:01:47 »

Sorry - my mistake.

A note about dates: Stuart Calvert talks about the "1856 timber structure" - but the original timber bridge was built in 1843, and by inference its abutment was reused in 1856 and 1916 for the two iron bridges. The GWR (Great Western Railway) magazine (posted earlier) only said it was "constructed under the Oxford Railway Act, 1843", and was "replaced in 1849-50". So who's right? I've been looking for old newspapers...

I have just found a piece in the Berkshire Chronicle of 11 November 1843 saying that the first Nuneham bridge started building "on Saturday, and will be completed in about five weeks." As the 11th was a Saturday, that start date was the 4th. I can't find completion recorded, but the line was opened on Wednesday June 12th 1844, and the "journey is performed in something under two hours and a half" (London-Oxford).

For the second bridge, there is a detailed report (Oxford Journal Saturday 20 September 1856) of the inquest into Henry Collett's death by drowning in the Thames. He was a labourer working on the new Nuneham bridge, and "late of Appleford", and several workmates gave evidence. He was last seen alive on Tuesday 9th September, and found under the new bridge on Monday 15th. We don't know from that how long the work took before and after, but those Victorians would likely not need all of a year for that job.

There was another inquest, into the death of a young lad working on the new bridge at Appleford, and that happened in July 1856. So it appears both bridges were rebuilt in wrought iron at the same time. If they were built the same way, at the same time, in the same river, it is pretty likely they both needed replacement together, and of course if the line has to be closed you'd rather do both within one closure.

Stuart Calvert date reference is likely to be based on the record drawings held by Network Rail. 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2023, 09:54:35 »

And more from Paul Clifton of the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) on Twitter
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2023, 10:10:37 »

Sorry - my mistake.

A note about dates: Stuart Calvert talks about the "1856 timber structure"

I've lost track of the video that showed a pile of timber - Stuart Calvert didn't give any context for where they found it.

Was it on the GW (Great Western) Paddington to Bristol line that in some places, embankments were constrained by burying  a pair of timbers at either edge, linked to one another by chains?

At Midford on the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) on the down side of the line, a trench was dug for services a few years ago, and I was surprised to see that by chance they excavators had chosen exactly the line to encounter an *enormous* buried squared-off bault of timber at the point where the infrastructure transitioned from viaduct to embankment. I wish I'd taken a photo. I think it was simply reburied.

And of course, wooden viaducts replaced by embankments were sometimes simply buried, sometimes with unintended consequences. Contractors encountered one of those at the east end of Shakespeare Cliff tunnel in Dover, Kent. Back in coffeeshopland, there's likely another lurking beneath the formation on the approach to Penzance, as that was built across the foreshore and carried on a wooden viaduct. And is there another buried one on the Falmouth branch?

Mark
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2023, 12:08:48 »

Attached is a classic example. The 1857 original timber bridge on the GWR (Great Western Railway) Weymouth line was simply covered over when the line was doubled in the 1880s.

Then in the late 1980s it was rebuilt again, this time to provide clearance for the western arm of the Dorchester bypass(A37). I was called in by Dorset County Museum and was shown the site, after the line reopened, there is still timber buried there.

British Rail kindly gave the Museum and myself copied of the photographs they had taken, one of which is seen here
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2023, 12:38:23 »

Attached is a classic example. The 1857 original timber bridge on the GWR (Great Western Railway) Weymouth line was simply covered over when the line was doubled in the 1880s.

Then in the late 1980s it was rebuilt again, this time to provide clearance for the western arm of the Dorchester bypass(A37). I was called in by Dorset County Museum and was shown the site, after the line reopened, there is still timber buried there.

British Rail kindly gave the Museum and myself copied of the photographs they had taken, one of which is seen here

A similar thing was done at Shakespeare Cliff near Dover, the original 1848 wooden trestles along the English Channel Beach these were encased was a chalk infill in 1927 when a new sea wall was built.  A storm in 2014 breached the concrete sea wall washing the chalk infill out.

There will be many other such "cover ups" on the network  Grin   

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2023, 12:26:30 »

Latest Network Rail summary on Twitter says that the viaduct is back in place and they’re reballasting etc:
https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1665658184772599808
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2023, 15:09:24 »

In the second of the photos in the Twitter link, they are reinstating the deck plates, (that I assume were removed to make room for piling), does anyone know if the lines of domed heads showing are rivets, or if they are some sort of bolt or screw designed to look like rivets? 

Paul
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2023, 18:38:42 »

Think there's a couple of those fastenings lying spare on the deck and they may or may not be called 'Carriage bolts'.

Someone somewhere must have been with child to have the opportunity to clean all that steel back to bare metal and apply the appropriate surface coating system with a correctly coloured top coat - the structure being colloquially known as 'Black bridge', not 'Brown bridge'.

Mark
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 05, 2023, 19:32:49 »

Think there's a couple of those fastenings lying spare on the deck and they may or may not be called 'Carriage bolts'.

Mark

Ah, I’ve since found another possibility, specifically designed to replace rivets on bridges etc, called “tension control bolts”. They look very similar to the one you’ve pointed out in the photo, that I missed first time:

https://www.tcbolts.com/en/products/tcb-standard

Their website mentions a number of previous rail related contracts, half a million in the Forth Bridge for example:

https://www.tcbolts.com/en/projects/bridges/rivet-replacement

Paul
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 20:38:15 by paul7575 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: