Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:20:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volunteering on heritage railways  (Read 1517 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2023, 14:08:51 »

The past few months have seen sad rumblings on one heritage railway. This has come to a head. It is worth reading to see the concerns being raised.

The context can be seen on Twitter and the comments associated with it.

https://twitter.com/joannemcrompton/status/1643878780409110533?s=61&t=VlafMC5gF9tidw36b1Y8JQ

This speech at the HRA gives further context.
https://youtu.be/-Z-fbYrNVD0
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 15:48:05 »

The past few months have seen sad rumblings on one heritage railway ....

From the document with that Twitter posts

Sadly, on Tuesday after my complaint concerning unfair treatment and unacceptable behaviour was SUCESSFULLY upheld, I was immediately 'sacked' as a volunteer ...

Oh dear, oh dear.

My thoughts are far wider, looking at how people who are working as volunteers or paid,  but who don't fit in in some way, are treated. There are norms for (private or public sector) employees ... and different metrics and less defined norms where the person involved are not just employees if they are employees at all - enthusiasts for a company or cause, or working as volunteers.

Heritage railways, and many other public transport support groups, have moved from being what I might characterise as a few harmless nutcases on the side to a key ingredient of the whole, which effects people's whole lives an livelihoods.  Perhaps I am writing in generalities because this hits at my personal nerve (whether or not that's justified) that there is little desire to rekindle or relive.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 17:04:21 »

I have just sat through half an hour of listening to Joanne Crompton.  One of the most worthwhile half hours listening in a long time.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 17:10:27 »

Yes, I listened to it a while ago. The future for heritage railways is bleak if they don't do more to accept diversity.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 23:48:54 »

Either the people who run the East Lancs Railway are complete idiots or there is more to this than we're being told.  I really can't work out which though.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 04:58:16 »

Either the people who run the East Lancs Railway are complete idiots or there is more to this than we're being told.  I really can't work out which though.

There are "always" (well, nearly always) two sides to a story. I do not doubt that gender is just one side of it, and the way it is portrayed in just one side. All sides need to be addressed. 

It does not lessen the story, but, folks, bear in mind we are late to it - the video is from 2021 so causal events must have been prior to that.  One hopes progress has been made since that.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 08:21:01 »

Her comment about "living off of the fat of BR (British Rail(ways)) and the attitudes of the 1960's" sadly is based on reality of many BR departments of the 1970's and even into the 1980's when female drivers started to be trained; I know of one depot where the drivers threatened to walk out "if that bl***y woman works here" the BR management reaction was to offer her a job in Travelers Fare!  She did persist and worked an other depot but only after the threat of BR being taken to Court under the 1975 Sex Discrimination Act.  It was not just the preserve of the footplate grades in BR at that time.

That old attitude brought in by those old exBR men will have infected the attitudes of non railway men who volunteer thinking its the way a real railway is run!

I am a senior volunteer in a national charity, which has nothing to do with trains or railways", what is quite often the case regarding management in the volunteering sector people are in management rolls with no experience or training, this can extend into the Board member.   The organisation I volunteer with whilst not perfect, it does have training courses for its different levels of management but we are a National Charity with the resources that go with that, most heritage railways would not have access to such resources. 

If what she said is rife within the Heritage Railway sector then it is doomed, is it that bad on all heritage railways?

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 11:23:50 »

I note that the said volunteer was sacked by a lady general manager!

Her reasons for the sacking (Twitter) were... disrepute.... resources...

Too much modern management. Did the GM ever serve as a cleaner, then firewoman?

OTC
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 17:46:46 »

An update in photo from ELR board and link to Joannes posting of the tweet by Phil Haigh

https://twitter.com/joannemcrompton/status/1644364981742305280?s=61&t=VlafMC5gF9tidw36b1Y8JQ
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 07:00:26 »

Her reasons for the sacking (Twitter) were... disrepute.... resources...

Too much modern management. Did the GM ever serve as a cleaner, then firewoman?

OTC
I've always been sceptical of University graduates coming into any job in a senior role with no experience of the industry they are now working in.
From what I've seen over my working life, they come in with wonderful theory ideas, anyone who expresses a "but" are treated as negative thinkers and not what we need in this industry.
Better managers come through the ranks so know what does, and does not work.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 08:46:55 »

There is a history of people coming into a role who do not fit the sterotype of their to-be colleagues having to put up with being picked on, targetted, discriminated against, and so on. That applies to nationallity, race, colour, religion, and age as well as gender.   And exactly because of the battles that may need to be fought, such incomers will tend to be the more determined / more bolshie / higher maintenance 'types'.  I have been aware of a number of situations over the years, and indeed I am watching a couple from the periphery at present.  It's more complex than discrimination though - there's a kickback factor where reverse discrimination comes in, and where the none-sterotype strong people play the "it's because I'm xxxx" card and management make decisions not wholly based on best-for-the-job, but rather tampered by fear of discrimination accusations. 

Please note that I make no outcome judgement on the currently highlighted case, which we see only through the evidence available online. I will say it's a sad situation (as these things usually are) for everyone concerned.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 09:02:24 »

Indeed. If this was a train crash (which, figuratively speaking, it is) some of us would be urging caution and asking that we wait for the official report.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2023, 10:21:11 »

Suspect the Heritage Railway Sector is largely dominated by men of a certain age who aren't used to dealing with women, perhaps at any level, and this is the rather clumsy outcome.

Just speculation of course, but no harm in adding it to all the other speculation which largely makes up this thread  Smiley
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2023, 17:40:42 »

Suspect the Heritage Railway Sector is largely dominated by men of a certain age who aren't used to dealing with women, perhaps at any level, and this is the rather clumsy outcome.

Just speculation of course, but no harm in adding it to all the other speculation which largely makes up this thread  Smiley

Fair point, but not, I think, relevant in this instance - see above

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: