06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:02:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla  (Read 4349 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2023, 08:41:58 »

Caledonian sleeper has formal arrangements for passengers carrying firearms...

Mark
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2023, 08:53:08 »

Caledonian sleeper has formal arrangements for passengers carrying firearms...

Mark

I believe that is to enable passengers to source their own food should there be no catering provided.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2023, 09:43:27 »

We have a marvellous and dedicate team of volunteers in Melksham. Thank you Reginald25 for your help on our booth.

Hope it was a successful day.  You have to be particularly dedicated when the weather takes a turn.  I vividly remember being at a Melksham Food Festival.  When the wind wasn’t trying to blow the gazebo into the next parish, the rain was collecting on the roof threatening to soak us all. Then persuading people to stop and chat is another challenge.

But it’s all good fun (when we have dried off and look back) or we wouldn’t do it.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2023, 10:15:25 »

Hope it was a successful day.  You have to be particularly dedicated when the weather takes a turn.  I vividly remember being at a Melksham Food Festival.  When the wind wasn’t trying to blow the gazebo into the next parish, the rain was collecting on the roof threatening to soak us all. Then persuading people to stop and chat is another challenge.

But it’s all good fun (when we have dried off and look back) or we wouldn’t do it.

I remember that day at the Food Festival. 

Yesterday was similarly successful for us though pretty poor for many other stalls.   Very few punters, but the quality shone through.  People who we rarely see otherwise were there including those without thrown cars; some train users already, others not.  One on one promotion to this rich vein ... of the new evening service and Saturday through train to Weymouth. Re-assuring a handful that the closure of the TransWilts Station Cafe does NOT mean the closure of the station. And a chance to engage with the other stall holders - movers and shakers in our community in many cases - ensuring that they know that we have that extra train to get people home.

No Carnival, no Party-in-the-Park this year, so a rare opportunity.   Food Festival is in the Autumn, so does not help with summer promotion.

Fly in the ointment?  Rail strikes, I'm afraid.   The damage that the removal of services on none-school days is huge.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2023, 16:57:40 »

"Members of the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force and Commonwealth forces travelled to the UK (United Kingdom)'s busiest railway station on Saturday morning on board seven South Western Railway trains and two chartered West Coast Railways trains," says the Mail. I wonder how the other eight trains were scheduled.

(The article brings to mind all the military trains taking soldiers to and from Salisbury Plain in the early 20th century.)
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2023, 19:01:09 »

Troops also arrived by train for the rehearsals.

Marching back to Waterloo.

Bet there was a very damp smell in the carriages with all those wet uniforms. Close-ups of the procession  showed a lot of  moisture on bearskins.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2023, 08:41:55 »

Just in case your memorabilia collection is not complete...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 15:31:38 by grahame » Logged
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2023, 10:03:27 »

Inevitably there's a lot of over-priced tat and "special  souvenir" material being produced - and purchased, and most of it is likely to prove a poor investment. I spotted  ten 1st-class stamps (half showing the late Queen, half the new King) in a frame at £81.99 (postage is free, however).

I've yet to  find much in the way of Coronation stamps churned out by small islets, the exception being four from the Pitcairn Islands at £12.50.

This model locomotive seems acceptable, though surely tacky is the QIIE memorial  train.

I am, of course, aware of historic "Coronation Class" locomotives.)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2023, 13:48:22 »

Bob, your pictures do not come up for me - see http://www.passenger.chat/27456 .  Having copied and pasted the image URL from a quoted copy of your post, that's something of a blessing in disguise in this case as I really do NOT want one.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2023, 15:32:42 »

Bob, your pictures do not come up for me - see http://www.passenger.chat/27456 .  Having copied and pasted the image URL from a quoted copy of your post, that's something of a blessing in disguise in this case as I really do NOT want one.

As a results of correspondence, I have changed "http" to "https" and it works for me now.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: