19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:12:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal statement  (Read 3955 times)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: February 08, 2023, 17:38:08 »

Some of you may have noticed that I have not posted much on the forum recently. Unfortunately the reasons for this are medical.

I was diagnosed with glaucoma in 2007 and since then it has gradually progressed. I contracted a mild dose of COVID in June last year and since then my eyesight has got very much worse indeed. I find reading screens more difficult, especially on sites like this where difference in contrast between text and background is not high

I also have greater difficulty in seeing enough of the keyboard to type, and can only do so in certain lighting conditions. Long posts, often a trademark of mine (!) now tend to be too long to be feasible

So please rest assured that I am still around and reading most of the new content as it appears, but I am more likely to be a more passive member in the future,

Robin Summerhill
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 17:44:17 »

Sorry to hear this Robin, but please that you will remain as a viewer

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 19:54:29 »

Some of you may have noticed that I have not posted much on the forum recently. Unfortunately the reasons for this are medical.  ...

Robin, so sorry it's progressed like this, though you and I knew it would.   I have spotted you viewing from time to times aware you're here and have been reading.  There are some marvellous "read this to me" apps these days so that should help you viewing.  Please let me know if I can help with any tweaks (such as another site style).

I also have greater difficulty in seeing enough of the keyboard to type, and can only do so in certain lighting conditions. Long posts, often a trademark of mine (!) now tend to be too long to be feasible

We, and the moderator and admin team understand / appreciate this. With your permission and if you chose, we can quietly tidy up posts from raw text

So please rest assured that I am still around and reading most of the new content as it appears, but I am more likely to be a more passive member in the future,

Robin Summerhill

Friends still here - hope to see you in person as it gets a bit warmer for this year, and I can pass on news and views
- Graham

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 11:21:28 »

I am sorry to hear of your poor sight. Two suggestions that might help.
Firstly obtain a PC keyboard with enhanced visibility, this should ease typing.
Secondly consider a larger than normal PC display, this may make reading text easier.

More detailed help and advice may be obtained from the RNIB» (Royal National Institute for the Blind - about), who help those with poor sight, not just the completly blind.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 11:32:13 »

I am sorry to hear of your poor sight. Two suggestions that might help.
Firstly obtain a PC keyboard with enhanced visibility, this should ease typing.
Secondly consider a larger than normal PC display, this may make reading text easier.

More detailed help and advice may be obtained from the RNIB» (Royal National Institute for the Blind - about), who help those with poor sight, not just the completly blind.

How are you feeling Broadgage? Have you managed a drop of (medicinal) Port?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 18:18:45 »

No port as still in hospital. A blind eye might be turned to a little beer, but I felt that port might be unwise.

Returning to our member with poor sight, one of these keyboards might help ?
https://shop.rnib.org.uk/technology/computers/keyboards?sortindex=1 Selection from Amazon.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 19:14:11 »

I'm sorry to hear that, Robin, but hope we will still be able to enjoy your musings, especially on the days of railway long ago. As others have said, there are some splendid technical aids, from the screen magnifier in the Windows Accessibility menu, through text reading and dictation apps, to things I don't know about.

My own eyesight journey lags a few years behind yours, with the glaucoma held at bay for now. My left eye is slowly deteriorating, but the cataract on my other eye has corrected my longsightedness. For the first time in years, I can legally drive without glasses, but it won't last.

Now, please!
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 11:23:19 »

Returning to our member with poor sight, one of these keyboards might help ?
https://shop.rnib.org.uk/technology/computers/keyboards?sortindex=1 Selection from Amazon.

Or................https://shop.rnib.org.uk/keyboard-stickers-large-print
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 19:13:03 »

Sad to report that Robin passed away later in February - I have posted an obituary for members in Frequent Posters where you are welcome to follow up.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 10:09:13 »

Very sad news, but even more so after his opening post
Thoughts with his family and friends
May he rest in peace
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: