Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:39:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Unhappy cycling in Melksham  (Read 3676 times)
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2023, 10:07:48 »

More local members of the forum will be able to comment on this
https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-24-may-2023-301429
https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/23541502.melksham-man-urges-crackdown-cycling-towns-pavements/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 10:43:57 »

A Melksham man is asking Wiltshire Council to back a crackdown on young cyclists who are endangering the safety of older people by riding on footpaths.

We have a problem ... too much traffic, with cycles, pedestrians, mobility scooters, cars, lorries and buses all having to share a narrow space.     Personally, I think (NOT) that young cycle riders should be told to ride in the road ... as should those older people who are on mobility scooters.     Big problem - discussion last Monday with the police at Town Council.  Sensible solution would be to make town centre "access only" and with 20 m.p.h. limit

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 11:17:25 »

“They are oblivious of what they are teaching their children”: Local activist slams “selfish” parents for allowing their children to cycle on the pavement, and says riding on the road is “safer” for primary school pupils

An older people’s campaigner has called on his local council to clamp down on young people riding their bikes on the pavement, and has criticised parents for teaching their primary school-aged children to cycle on footpaths, potentially endangering pedestrians.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 12:10:30 »

A Melksham man is asking Wiltshire Council to back a crackdown on young cyclists who are endangering the safety of older people by riding on footpaths.

Maybe ask "a Melksham man" if he supports a crackdown on older drivers who are endangering the safety of young people? Compulsory retests every year for the over-60s, for example?

...thought not.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 12:55:40 »

As a general rule I believe that cycling on footways should be prohibited, but I would make an exception for young (at what age do you set the limit?) children when making journeys to and from school as long as some degree of parental supervision was in operation.

I have never visited Melksham but Google Maps Street View seems to indicate that the town is particularly poorly served in terms of any form of cycling infrastructure. If that is the case Wiltshire County Council (I assume it is they who are responsible) need to pull their fingers out. As much as I dislike the conversion of pavements to shared footways / cycleways if that is all WCC (Wiltshire County Council (Until March 2009)) can afford then so be it, although some of the roads are quite clearly wide enough to have cyclist priority lanes added on each side, all it takes is some white paint, some explanatory signage and a bit of driver education (the main issue in and around Exeter is that motorists believe they are not allowed to cross the discontinuous white lines - which is not true as long as cyclists are not obstructed). 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 14:14:44 »

Maybe ask "a Melksham man" if he supports a crackdown on older drivers who are endangering the safety of young people? Compulsory retests every year for the over-60s, for example?

...thought not.

I'm not entirely sure that the "Melksham Man" who is quoted in the paper would agree with the description of what he said by the journalists in this case about it being safer on the road from primary school children.  At times, stories get lost or transformed out of recognition as the go through steps form thought so appearing on a public web site.

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 14:22:19 »

I quite like the notion of "Melksham Man" becoming a new demographic along the lines of "Worcester Woman"!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 15:00:38 »

We have a problem ... too much traffic, with cycles, pedestrians, mobility scooters, cars, lorries and buses all having to share a narrow space.     Personally, I think (NOT) that young cycle riders should be told to ride in the road ... as should those older people who are on mobility scooters.     Big problem - discussion last Monday with the police at Town Council.  Sensible solution would be to make town centre "access only" and with 20 m.p.h. limit

30km/h (or 20mph) limits are becoming more and more common in urban areas around the globe. So many cities and towns in the UK (United Kingdom) now have them, covering such large areas, that it seems a bit eccentric to retain 30mph (50 km/h) as the default here.

A couple of years ago Birmingham asked the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) if it could just declare the whole city a 20mph zone, with exceptions where this made sense, rather than having to go through the legal and logistical rigmarole of applying area-by-area and putting up hundreds of reminder signs. They received a flat 'no'.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 06:52:36 »

Wiltshire County Council (I assume it is they who are responsible) need to pull their fingers out.
in more ways than one.

In the latest re-announcement of walking and cycling funding Wiltshire CC are rated at 1 for cycling capability
Rating 1
Some local leadership with basic plans and isolated interventions that do not yet obviously form a plan for a network.
and only got
Wiltshire Unitary Authority    1    £978,000
Which doesn't get you much even for walking and cycling infrastructure. Upping your capability appears to get you more money? I assume Reading's £75k will probably get about one bollard.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/millions-of-people-to-benefit-from-200-million-to-improve-walking-and-cycling-routes

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 08:39:52 »

I quite like the notion of "Melksham Man" becoming a new demographic along the lines of "Worcester Woman"!

Possibly "Thatcham Them" too in order to reflect modern society?  Cheesy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2023, 09:14:42 »

Not "Taplow Them" then... Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 12:30:21 »

Not "Taplow Them" then... Grin

We don't alliterate so well.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2023, 13:44:59 »

As a general rule I believe that cycling on footways should be prohibited, but I would make an exception for young (at what age do you set the limit?) children when making journeys to and from school as long as some degree of parental supervision was in operation.

I have never visited Melksham but Google Maps Street View seems to indicate that the town is particularly poorly served in terms of any form of cycling infrastructure. If that is the case Wiltshire County Council (I assume it is they who are responsible) need to pull their fingers out. As much as I dislike the conversion of pavements to shared footways / cycleways if that is all WCC (Wiltshire County Council (Until March 2009)) can afford then so be it, although some of the roads are quite clearly wide enough to have cyclist priority lanes added on each side, all it takes is some white paint, some explanatory signage and a bit of driver education (the main issue in and around Exeter is that motorists believe they are not allowed to cross the discontinuous white lines - which is not true as long as cyclists are not obstructed). 

There's a fairly new, two mile ring-road to the East of Melksham which contains, to its western side, an expansive new-build housing estate. The ring road has, on its populated side, a wide verge, a double-width path signposted for both cyclists and pedestrians (and dogs, scooters and mobility carriages), another wide verge, and then a two-lane road.

I joined a queue of seven or eight cars following a flock of lycra-clad pedal cyclists, chatting away three-abreast, on my way home from work last evening. Not one made any effort to wheel off the road and onto the cycle-path provided. I'd respectfully suggest that the provision of white paint, explanatory signage and driver education is not "all it takes" to sort this issue out.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2023, 09:31:04 »

Riding more than two abreast breaks Rule 66 of the Highway Code, so they shouldn’t have done that. But would it have helped drivers pass them if they’d been just two abreast - which is actually encouraged in these circumstances - or wearing waxed cotton or tweeds for that matter?

On more than one occasion I’ve found myself on a road with an attractive cycle path running long side it, but no way of accessing it other than to stop, unclip and lift my bike over a kerb. This in itself can be more dangerous than just keeping going.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2023, 19:10:59 »

On more than one occasion I’ve found myself on a road with an attractive cycle path running long side it, but no way of accessing it other than to stop, unclip and lift my bike over a kerb. This in itself can be more dangerous than just keeping going.
...and no guarantee that it won't fizzle out at the next side-turning or take me off in a different direction (up to the gates of a school for instance). One reason I rarely use cycle tracks in areas I don't know unless they are very well signposted.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: