Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 17:04:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: June fares increase Devon & Cornwall  (Read 3446 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2023, 20:18:03 »

Fares will increase by 5% (with a minimum of a 10p increase) on all off peak day fares in Devon and Cornwall including to/from Taunton  and excluding St Erth - St Ives branch from 11 June.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 08:38:57 »

Fares will increase by 5% (with a minimum of a 10p increase) on all off peak day fares in Devon and Cornwall including to/from Taunton  and excluding St Erth - St Ives branch from 11 June.

Is there a source for this?  Is this an increase on fares that already increased earlier this year in the "annual" rise?

At this time of year (past years) I have seen changes to ranger and rover prices, and to terms and conditions on things like groupsave that have rocketed prices for people who have previously used them with children (used to be £1, remember?) or on the 09:10 on Monday to Friday to connect to Weymouth (now not valid until the 11:31 here southbound).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 08:50:23 »

A quick National Rail EXM >DWL test booking for 05/06 & 12/06 produces an Off-Peak Single fare increase from £8.60 to £9.00 (4.65%) which could indicate that the OP (Original Poster / topic starter)'s assertion is correct.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 09:10:48 »

Is there a source for this?  Is this an increase on fares that already increased earlier this year in the "annual" rise?

GWR (Great Western Railway) internal weekly retail circular.
And yes, it appears to be an additional increase.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 09:12:58 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) internal weekly retail circular.
And yes, it appears to be an additional increase.

Thank you.

With my local interest, a test booking just made locally in Wiltshire has shown no similar increase at my local station on the most popular off peak journey.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 14:36:53 »

I seem to recall that, in the distant past, fares in the SW used to rise in the summer holidays (& return afterwards, just to catch the holidaymakers?)...its a distant memory, possibly from FGW (First Great Western) days?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 16:19:35 »

Some examples - off peak day returns prices for 5th June and 12th June

Taunton to Plymouth up from £23.50 to £24.70
Exmouth to Penzance up from £26.50 to £27.80
Exeter St Davids to Paignton up from £9.20 to £9.70
Okehampton to Bere Alston up from £12.80 to £13.40
Plymouth to Looe up from £7.40 to £7.80
Plymouth to Falmouth Town up from £12.80 to £13.40
Truro to Newquay up from £7.90 to £8.30

Bryony
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 14:43:27 »

Just to clear-up any confusion,  I jave checked and it appears this is not news, just implementation.  This is the anticipated fares increase which we hap notice of in December.  Perhaps someone had sight of a notice to remind ticket staff?
It is a national fare increase, announced by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64066678

They positioned it as a reduction in the rise that they could have imposed as generally they use the rate of inflation in July, which this year was 12.3%, but it was still a significant rise of 5.9% which applied from March.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 15:18:09 »

Just to clear-up any confusion,  I have checked and it appears this is not news, just implementation ...

I've had a hard weekend and, sorry, don't feel cleared up.  Was there a rise on day return fares in March (2023), and if so what was the fare last summer?  Or were these fares left alone in March so it really is the annual rise?

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 15:34:07 »

Just to clear-up any confusion,  I have checked and it appears this is not news, just implementation ...

I've had a hard weekend and, sorry, don't feel cleared up.  Was there a rise on day return fares in March (2023), and if so what was the fare last summer?  Or were these fares left alone in March so it really is the annual rise?

Definitely an additional rise. For instance; Newton Abbot to Exeter Central with a Devon and Cornwall Railcard......
< March 2023      : £4.85
March 2023         : £5.10
> 11th June 2023: £5.40

making it an 11.34% rise since the beginning of the year.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 07:39:28 »

Correspondence behind the scenes on this one confirms that this is indeed the second rise in a year on these fares, and the total rise is somewhere over 10%

The article last December - referred to above - says (I have quoted selectively)

Regulated rail fares in England will rise by up to 5.9% from March, the Department for Transport has announced.

The rise is being capped at a level well below inflation, "to help reduce the impact on passengers", the transport secretary said.

Fares will officially rise on 5 March 2023.

Before the Covid pandemic, fares were raised in January each year, based on the retail prices index (RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))) measure of inflation from the previous July.

Inflation is the rate at which prices rise, and the normal formula for fares is RPI plus 1%.

However, the government said that "for this year only" rail fare increases for 2023 would be capped at 5.9%, well below July's RPI figure of 12.3%.

My understanding is that there is not quite a promise in there that this is the only increase for 2023, just that that the regular (routine?) rise will be 5.9%.  Apparently, according to GWR (Great Western Railway) on the normal formula a rise of up to 12.3% is allowed, so this second rise is still within the national rules.    I personally don't buy that interpretation - I think it's a very naughty piece of manipulating indeed of what we were told last December, breaking a promise of increases being limited for 2023 to under 6%.

Having expressed my - disgust - at the way "they" have gone about this second fare rise in a year above the headline rate, I can understand the desire to increase revenue, and to do so from primarily the leisure (off peak) traffic flows rather that the more emotive flows such as commuters to work and school kids.  I also note the increase is on what are typically the lower fare brackets; a double edged sword - on one hand, people (especially irregulars) won't notice "a few pence", but on the other hand they'll need an awful lot of these extra "few pence"s to make a significant percentage gain in the overall farebox income.

We have often said before our fare system is a mess and needs sorting out.  And changes such as the one in this thread will be just a skirmish in a major war if an overall update is sneaked in by the back door.   But, yet, the current system is too complex for its own good, scaring people away, but having to create winners and loser in its correction.   I know the saying is "careful what you wish for", but I wish someone was brave enough to sort it out and not tinker around the edges.

Big "thank you" to correspondents who have helped me understand and clarify.  I don't live in Devon or Cornwall nor visit there very often; not really my battle to fight and I have more relevant fish to fry, so I'm moving on.   But I'm moving on with the acquired knowledge of another trick that's been added to the playlist, and a knowledge that we (travelling customers) must partner with the providers, but maintain our guard and cannot be as trusting as we might like. Pity.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 08:09:35 »

From Plymouth Live

Great Western Railway train fares for journeys in Devon and Cornwall are set to increase this month. The train operator says this is due to "shifts in customer demand".

Ticket prices for all off peak journeys in Devon and Cornwall, including ones that travel to and from Taunton, will soon be increasing by five per cent as GWR (Great Western Railway) reports changes to customers' habits. They say they are hoping this will also encourage people to travel on quieter trains.

GWR also explained that the increase in fares is also intended to help the company generate a "sensible financial return for government." A spokesperson for GWR said: "From June 11, Off-Peak Day fares within Devon and Cornwall, including fares to/from Taunton, are increasing by 5%. This is designed to help manage shifts in customer demand and encouraging travel on quieter trains, while ensuring we are generating a sensible financial return for government.

"As part of the current National Rail Contracts, all revenue is returned to government and train operators are paid a fixed management fee.

"The Devon & Cornwall Railcard continues to offer 1/3 off all standard class Anytime or Off-Peak tickets to local residents.

"And Off-Peak fares still offer a significant discount against Anytime fares."

plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 08:54:31 »

Don't forget any residents of Devon and Cornwall, you can now purchase a digital Devon and Cornwall railcard through GWR (Great Western Railway) only.
(They also sell digital national railcards)

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 13:40:54 »

Someone may have emailed the Reach titles in the south west suggesting this story...  Lips sealed

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are yet to reply to me...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 13:57:22 »

Someone may have emailed the Reach titles in the south west suggesting this story...  Lips sealed

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are yet to reply to me...
NUJ members on strike in some areas, think today is the last day of it.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: