Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:31:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line Petition  (Read 3251 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2008, 21:22:09 »

This is just a quick note to remind people that there is a petition campaigning for the Cotswold Line to be redoubled.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cotswold

Please sign if you haven't already. It is a critical time at the moment, and the more signatures it gets the better!

Many thanks,

Btline Smiley
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 22:32:32 »

Do we really need this posted more than once!?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 22:38:16 »

YES

People may forget

Newbies may not look at old posts

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 22:48:27 »

The only reason I am posting these are because we need to step up momentum. Cool

Everything could fail - the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) may refuse funding. Angry

Therefore, I am pressing for as many signatures as possible. Other people have stated that they do not think it will make a difference. I am hoping it might. Undecided

Newer users won't have read the original post (unless they have spend hours looking through achieves) as it was locked a while back.

Once a definite decision has been made, we can rest and move to someone else's campaign (e.g. Melksham).

Thanks for your continued patience seeing these posts, and please sign!

Btline Wink
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 23:04:56 »

The only reason I am posting these are because we need to step up momentum. Cool

Everything could fail - the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) may refuse funding. Angry

Therefore, I am pressing for as many signatures as possible. Other people have stated that they do not think it will make a difference. I am hoping it might. Undecided

Newer users won't have read the original post (unless they have spend hours looking through achieves) as it was locked a while back.

Once a definite decision has been made, we can rest and move to someone else's campaign (e.g. Melksham).

Btline Wink

I have asked my mother to sign up and any one she knows

And my other half is signing up now!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 23:05:09 »

NO!
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 23:08:41 »

Petitions on the PMs website will result in the government just clarifying their current policy and nothing else.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:04:48 »

Petitions on the PMs website will result in the government just clarifying their current policy and nothing else.

I'm going to agree ... and disagree ... with that.  Yes, experience shows that a petition does result in the government clarifying their current position in the majority of cases.  And that's likely to be all that the signatories see in their response.  However, it can also help to move the specific case up the agenda and in association with a whole load of other inputs, including well argued longer cases, local press, political pressure, etc can result in some movement. And it can also help open some doors for the people behind the petition, getting them a seat at a table here and there and helping to make their voice heard that little bit more.

I ran a petition that ended over a year ago now - ran for just three weeks (that's the minimum period - I think the Cotswold one has gone to the opposite end of the spectum and runs for a year) and got over 1700 signatures to:

""We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to provide a reliable train service with adequate capacity at times that travellers wish to make journeys from Swindon to Westbury, Bristol to Severn Beach, Portsmouth and Weymouth to Cardiff, Taunton to Cheltenham, Swindon to Cheltenham. This includes all intermediate stations and journeys in both directions.""

The response was, indeed, a restatement of government policy that gave very little and was econimic with the truth - presenting statistics that when taken alone and assumed to be the total case would seriously mislead.  But - take a look at what the Prime Minister was asked and you'll find that certain things have been acted upon. There's more capacity, more trains to Severn Beach, more reliability now. Of course the petition wasn't the key, but perhaps it did make the government sit up and take a little - just a little more note. It all adds weight to the campaigns alongside others too numerous to mention.

Swindon to Westbury has not yet been solved; trains at 06:15 and 18:45 (only) remain timed to suit the convenience of the operator and not the people of North, West and South Wiltshire and Swindon who wish to travel on this corridor. But we are still talking, and indeed various draft timetables and proposals are floating around for next December.  On a somewhat different tacki to a p.m.'s petition, we've also been looking for support via, http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/pledge.html where individual user can sign up in a more targetted manner - we're looking to sign up people who actually know a little about the area, live and / or travel in Wiltshire for the most part and / or are rail experts or represent people who do travel.  The text reads:

"""I support the return of a more appropriate train service linking the five largest population centres in Wiltshire, as shown in (or similar to) draft timetables from December 2008"""

On that different basis, we have over 440 names (or over 500 if you look at the names of people who have signed up but are yet to confirm / haven't clicked ontheir final email link. 80% live in Wiltshire, over 80% travel regularly in the county ... and we have seen already that all three of the major players - DfT» (Department for Transport - about), WCC (Wiltshire County Council (Until March 2009)) and FGW (First Great Western) - are aware and have produced interim responses.

The Cotswold petition reads

""We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to reinstate double track on the Cotswold Railway Line (Oxford to Worcester)."" and currently has 350 signatures.   It's not my area / expertise so I'm in no position to comment on the weight it will / has added or its timing, but I am not as negative as swlines in adding the word "just" into my post.

The question has been asked "should this have been posted again?".  As administrator, I have no problem with a subject being repeated from time to time for newcomers, and new discussions - such as on the effect of petitions; I hope some of what I have written is new and useful - to be added. However, I will point out that there's a limit to how often it should be done before it starts to have a negative effect, and also that there are route specific boards which are designed for matters which are route specific.  Please use those boards for future threads - they'll help keep the case as a bigger fish in a smaller pond, which will be of benefit to Cotswold travellers, and they'll also help keep "across the west" a little clearer for general posts across the wider area.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 13:55:13 »

Grahame - I agree. I have seen that petitions can get ignored, but I am banking on Ruth perhaps taking a second glance at it...

Sorry again for the repetition. It is not to annoy people or to clog up the "Across The West" board, but to bring it to the surface to as many people as possible (many won't look at the Cotswold tab) - note that the OT is locked.

Yes, the petition was one year - as long as possible (I chose this to get as many votes as possible). In hindsight, it would have been better for it to be ending about now - that simply indicates how the matter has moved more quickly than I thought.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 14:15:49 »

I'm not signing something that's meaningless to me Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 18:38:04 »

I signed up to the Melksham campaign even though it means nothing to me. I have never been on the line, and am not expecting to for a while....

It's just that I can see what a huge benefit it would bring.
corshamjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 18:54:08 »

Please sign if you haven't already.

Okay, done that.   Smiley  I hope you get a positive response.

stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 20:21:06 »

I've just logged on after a week's absence and, honestly, I'm staggered at how tetchy people are getting in various posts.

I know we all get passionate about causes/issues we believe in and, speaking purely personally, the Cotswold line redoubling is important to me - but if it never happens I won't commit hara-kiri over it. Equally, I rarely travel outside the region but I would love to see the other schemes that are proposed come to fruition.

A little perspective please and a deep breath. Chill.....
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 16:59:19 »

Okay, done that.   Smiley  I hope you get a positive response.
Thanks. Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: