Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:10:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anything got better?  (Read 11750 times)
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 19:34:03 »

Happy to say I have no idea whether things are better recently as I have only done one journey by train in about 8 weeks. Since a parking space is now reliably available at the office, I can leave home at 7:15 and be at my desk at 7:45, compared to leaving home at 7:15 and getting into work at 8:20 by train. Cost by train is ^8.50 ticket plus ^4.50 parking (I don't travel the same route regularly enough to warrant a season ticket for either unfortunately) plus 50p for fuel to and from the station, compared to a full week of commuting down the M4 for ^50. Free parking at work helps, of course.

I think this is the fundamental problem with getting people off the roads (apart from there being no capacity on the trains) - I can do the same journey in 50% of the time, for 75% of the cost, and even if the M4 is jammed solid once a week, it's still more reliable.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 20:11:45 »

However Grand Central don't seem to hit the mark ....... http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/734571/grandcentralguignol.thtml
I can't see them surviving. Apart from their disastrous unreliability, the payments to NE to carry their passengers in lieu of their own services, their business model must be under severe pressure from the rise in diesel prices.

Unfair article. It is not GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line)'s fault really.

What about W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator))? how are they doing?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 20:16:48 »

No.

It's a fair article - the problem IS of GCs» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) doing but it is also partially of DMLs doing. Lack of money transferring between hands = lack of work = less quality build.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 20:48:28 »

And from the customer's POV, do they care who's fault it is?  All they know is that they are getting a dreadful service. To answer the point about issuing all operator tickets, as I understand it GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) will get a fraction of the cost of an open single from London to York. Even FCC (First Capital Connect) and NEAnglia get some allocation of such a ticket as it's valid on FCC to Peterborough and NEAnglia from Liv St.  So effectively they receive X for a ticket from the customer, and then pay around 2X for an open ticket on which they get diddly squat back. Not good economics.

The only way they can possibly survive is if diddly squat x all the farebox on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) gives them enough revenue no matter how c**p their service is. (Which is an ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) raid).

I really do hope they succeed, but I can't see it. The TV program last year did show them as a very amateurish bunch, and their website reinforces that view.       
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 21:14:00 »

Happy to say I have no idea whether things are better recently as I have only done one journey by train in about 8 weeks. Since a parking space is now reliably available at the office, I can leave home at 7:15 and be at my desk at 7:45, compared to leaving home at 7:15 and getting into work at 8:20 by train. Cost by train is ^8.50 ticket plus ^4.50 parking (I don't travel the same route regularly enough to warrant a season ticket for either unfortunately) plus 50p for fuel to and from the station, compared to a full week of commuting down the M4 for ^50. Free parking at work helps, of course.

I think this is the fundamental problem with getting people off the roads (apart from there being no capacity on the trains) - I can do the same journey in 50% of the time, for 75% of the cost, and even if the M4 is jammed solid once a week, it's still more reliable.

ooh I'm jealous now. I'd love to be able to drive to work...
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 22:23:42 »

No.

It's a fair article - the problem IS of GCs» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) doing but it is also partially of DMLs doing. Lack of money transferring between hands = lack of work = less quality build.

I attempted to use GC today to go to York on the 08:04 ex KX it was cancelled instead they swaped our tickets for the 08:00 NE the only problem was the GC ticket chap on the concorse at KX swapped my ticket for another GC ticket which as I was in a rush to catch a train 4 mins earlier than planned I did not notice until we were under way so had to pay the excess fair  Angry so now I have the pain of claiming the excess back from GC

Will NOT be using GC again  Angry     [/size]

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 17:58:26 »

[I attempted to use GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) today to go to York on the 08:04 ex KX it was cancelled instead they swaped our tickets for the 08:00 NE the only problem was the GC ticket chap on the concorse at KX swapped my ticket for another GC ticket which as I was in a rush to catch a train 4 mins earlier than planned I did not notice until we were under way so had to pay the excess fair  Angry so now I have the pain of claiming the excess back from GC

They carry on going the way they are at the moment then I don't think many people will continue using GC either. Sad to say it appears that its one problem after another for this new rail company. People want reliability and if they don't get it they will go somewhere else, even if that means being crammed into a busy NX East Coast service.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 18:05:19 »

Background link on Grand Central from the Save The Train Forum.
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4658.msg8502#msg8502

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 18:08:47 »

It will take along time for people to start using them. If they hold firm, get the problem sorted, allow positive reviews to spread, then people will go back.

The question is? Can they afford to - will people come back quick enough.

------------------------------

You could argue that FGW (First Great Western)/other lines need the stock more.

All GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) are doing is clogging up the ECML (East Coast Main Line).

Until several junctions are re-done, each extra service will cause more problems.

-------------------------------

Their website is bad.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 20:17:56 »

[I attempted to use GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) today to go to York on the 08:04 ex KX it was cancelled instead they swaped our tickets for the 08:00 NE the only problem was the GC ticket chap on the concorse at KX swapped my ticket for another GC ticket which as I was in a rush to catch a train 4 mins earlier than planned I did not notice until we were under way so had to pay the excess fair  Angry so now I have the pain of claiming the excess back from GC

They carry on going the way they are at the moment then I don't think many people will continue using GC either. Sad to say it appears that its one problem after another for this new rail company. People want reliability and if they don't get it they will go somewhere else, even if that means being crammed into a busy NX East Coast service.
College of mine who still had his GC tickets had the misfortune to use GC for our return from York, he said there was a Strong smell of rotten eggs in most of the coaches, this used to be a problem with Mk3 coaches where the batteries boil dry from over charging or lack of topping up, the on board staff did not seem to know how to use the PA (Public Address) system at one stage holding a conversation between the buffet and guards van, all in all he was not impressed with the service, we have recommended to out team organiser not to book anyone on GC services

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
John R

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 21:27:48 »

I notice that they are now offering carnets of 20 tickets. Anyone like to invest several hundred pound in a carnet at the moment. They obviously need the cashflow, which is a very good reason not to buy one!

P.S. Apologies, we've hijacked this thread from the original subject somewhat.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 18:26:33 »

P.S. Apologies, we've hijacked this thread from the original subject somewhat.
Its just nice to know that FGW (First Great Western) aren't all that bad after all  Roll Eyes

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 20:59:57 »

Its just nice to know that FGW (First Great Western) aren't all that bad after all  Roll Eyes
They have improved a great deal of late I'm glad to say.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 10:14:03 »

Back to original thread as far as Taplow goes our offpeak service from the December 2007 timetable is remarkably better. This is probably because the trains start and teminate at Reading rather than the previous weird situation where the up trains started from Oxford and the Down trains terminated at Reading. With asymetrical stopping patterns as well. Also the Down Oxford stopper which formed a later Up Taplow working was only abourt 4 minutes behind the Reading terminator at Maidenhead so if there were any problems it would be late at Oxford for its Up journey and thus late at Taplow on the return.

Not so sure about peak will have to ask User group members.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: