Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:15:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Front 7 carriages?  (Read 11165 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2008, 22:12:16 »

I was on the 18.33 from Paddington, first stop Maidenhead tonight.. It's an intercity.. I don't usually get lucky enough to get one of these trains, we usually have turbos.. As we were approaching Maidenhead there was an announcement that to alight at Maidenhead we needed to be in the front 7 carriages.. Now, I knew for sure I wasn't in the rear carriage, I'd walked past first class before I got on, however I didn't have much time at Paddington, and didn't realise I had to count how many carriages there are on an HST (High Speed Train) so as to make sure I was in the front 7.... Fortunately a quick look around meant I could see the odd familiar face from regular commuters from Maidenhead who weren't panicking, so I didn't either.. I do think however a slightly more helpful announcement could be made (although I'm not sure what it could be - any ideas?)..

Incidentally this problem isn't confined to FGW (First Great Western).. If you travel on East Midland Mainline (something like that, they've been renamed recently..) from St Pancras on a train which stops at Luton Airport Parkway, they announce (shortly before arriving at Luton Airport Parkway) the letters of the carriages you should be in to enable you to get off at that station due to a short platform. Both times I've been on the train I have looked, and cannot see any obvious letters inside the train to help you decide if you should stay where you are because you are in the right carriage, or just panic.. Admittedly I've been standing in the door area both times as the train has been full... The first time I was on that train there was a lot of running up and down the train by people hoping to find the right door to get off before the train left!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 22:20:35 »

I was on the 18.33 from Paddington, first stop Maidenhead tonight.. It's an intercity.. I don't usually get lucky enough to get one of these trains, we usually have turbos.. As we were approaching Maidenhead there was an announcement that to alight at Maidenhead we needed to be in the front 7 carriages.. Now, I knew for sure I wasn't in the rear carriage, I'd walked past first class before I got on, however I didn't have much time at Paddington, and didn't realise I had to count how many carriages there are on an HST (High Speed Train) so as to make sure I was in the front 7.... Fortunately a quick look around meant I could see the odd familiar face from regular commuters from Maidenhead who weren't panicking, so I didn't either.. I do think however a slightly more helpful announcement could be made (although I'm not sure what it could be - any ideas?)..

Incidentally this problem isn't confined to FGW (First Great Western).. If you travel on East Midland Mainline (something like that, they've been renamed recently..) from St Pancras on a train which stops at Luton Airport Parkway, they announce (shortly before arriving at Luton Airport Parkway) the letters of the carriages you should be in to enable you to get off at that station due to a short platform. Both times I've been on the train I have looked, and cannot see any obvious letters inside the train to help you decide if you should stay where you are because you are in the right carriage, or just panic.. Admittedly I've been standing in the door area both times as the train has been full... The first time I was on that train there was a lot of running up and down the train by people hoping to find the right door to get off before the train left!
There are only 8 on  a HST

ABCDEFGH

If they remove the buffet there a 7

ABCDEGH

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 22:22:02 »

TO be fair thought - on all  short platforms they announce you have to be on the rear X carriages or front Y carriages

Most people on the route dont have a problem - maybe its because it was an unusual event or because on PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - maidenhead I suspect there are a variety of units that can be used

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 22:30:57 »

Thanks Mookiemoo. I think it's just because I don't usually travel on an HST (High Speed Train), the announcement made me realise that I didn't know exactly where on the train I was.. Although maybe telling people in the rear carriage to move up one carriage would be more sensible if there are only 8 carriages maximum!? I just wonder what happens to the non-commuter type traveller though...

As for the Luton airport parkway train.. That was chaos.. I can only assume that happens most days..
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 22:52:04 »

One merit of Virgin (or XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) now) is that they display the coach number (e.g. Coach A) on the screen.

But only sometimes...!

And Virgin don't have problems with too long trains! Their problem is the shortness! Roll Eyes

FGW (First Great Western) should do this.

Or slap a sticker onto the seat backs.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 23:02:42 »

Thanks Mookiemoo. I think it's just because I don't usually travel on an HST (High Speed Train), the announcement made me realise that I didn't know exactly where on the train I was.. Although maybe telling people in the rear carriage to move up one carriage would be more sensible if there are only 8 carriages maximum!? I just wonder what happens to the non-commuter type traveller though...

As for the Luton airport parkway train.. That was chaos.. I can only assume that happens most days..

On FGW (First Great Western) trains there is an indicator on the top section that say what carriage and seat you are at

Karl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 00:32:27 »

Morning

It did surprise me as well, why didn't FGW (First Great Western) have
digital readouts in the refurb coaches.  OK there
were problems with the seat reservation readouts
above the seats on Voyagers, which are controlled
by satalite (I think); which causes chaos.  Most
times when I have travelled on a Voyager and this
has happened, the anouncement has been along the
lines 'we're sorry and you can pretty much sit
anywhere'!

That aside and in hinsight a better system could of
been fitted and something else which I have pondered
over, is there could of been a digital display system
(again as per outside on Voyager), fitted where the
toilet window is.  This usually gives you, train,
destination and coach number.  With flat screen
technology and micro electronics to keep it mimamul
in space inside, it could of been done and would by
handy as frosty glass would of been replaced with
something more private and is next to the external door!
If Vigin/XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) could put flatscreen/digital readouts on
the outside of a Voyager, I think FGW could of fitted
this in the toilet window space.  With a mimamul sized
sturdy case, accesed only with the use of the guards key,
it should be preety child/vandal resistent.  It could be
changed to suite destination by a master computer/device
in the gaurds van TGS.

But again I surpose it all came down to ^!

Regards

Karl.
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:30:06 »

I wonder what happens if the passenger has a hearing impairment or if the speaker isn't working in the carriage or the passenger doesn't understand English ?  Similar problem occurs on the tube when a non-too helpful announcement of "the rear carriage doors won't open at the next station - please move forwards" is made when the train is already overcrowded and you simply can't move forwards.   The "solution" seems to be to always ensure you're in the middle of the train!
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:37:21 »

I can tell you something that not fitting TV's was not down to ^. FGW (First Great Western) spent alot of ^ on the refurbishment programme and ^ doesn't come into it.

They were originally fitted on the refurbishment showcase vecile, here and here.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:07:22 »

You should only really worry about where you get off if you are in First Class as that is at the rear! Does this service use the fast lines if it is often a turdo?
Karl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 13:55:07 »

Afternoon

Alright Conner I didn't Know that FGW (First Great Western) had a look
at doing that.  This is the second time this week
I thought I had writtern a fare, friendly and
constructed message and felt I've been 'had up'
in the responses recieved on this group.

And I think there could of been more ^ spent
in some aeas such as digital readouts and the
outside picture (first link), is presisely what
I had in my mindset.  It does look good and easy
to read.  I can see a problem in the second pic,
the strip light glare is over the digital readout,
but I don't that should be too difficult to air
out that problem.

Regards

Karl.

argg

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 13:58:31 »

You should only really worry about where you get off if you are in First Class as that is at the rear! Does this service use the fast lines if it is often a turdo?

...however sometimes the train is reversed.

In my experience the 18.33 to Oxford is HST (High Speed Train) and runs on the fast lines but switches over just before Maidenhead.  Generally the announcement does advice the letter of the carriages affected.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 14:42:59 »

http://www.southwesternlines.co.uk/downloads/fgwdiagmay08/SX_HSTs.pdf

The 18.33 Paddington to Oxford is booked HST (High Speed Train) 2+7 High Density No Buffet.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 16:32:10 »

No need for SDO (Selective Door Opening) then. Btline will be happy  Cheesy
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 18:25:51 »

No need for SDO (Selective Door Opening) then. Btline will be happy  Cheesy
Tongue
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: