Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:09:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: About "Meet the Managing Director"  (Read 3565 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 20, 2023, 14:53:37 »

Online at http://gwr.passenger.chat/meetthemanager on Monday 24th July 2023 from 17:00 to 18:00.  Mark Hopwood, Managing Director of Great Western Railway, will be on hand to answer questions and live follow-ups on subjects such as railway reliability and passenger capacity, the damage done by industrial action, and ticket sales and marketing.

The session is in public and everyone's welcome to watch.  Members of the Great Western Coffee Shop Passenger Forum (our online forum run by volunteer passengers) will be taking part in the discussions.  If you are already a member, please log in just before 5 p.m.; if you are not a member, you can register ahead of time. Please register by midday on 24th to ensure your registration will go through before "Meet the Manager".

All posts made during the event will remain online afterwards as part of the forum's ever-growing database, so if you can't make it during the live event, you can read back later.  The initial questions and answers from Mark will be prepared ahead of time, so that the answers given will be researched and authoritative, and Mark will have had the opportunity to "brush up" on any left field topics.

I would like to thank Mark for taking part in this event (it's happening at GWR (Great Western Railway)'s suggestion) - a brave move to meet the customers online.  Members of our Coffee Shop team will be present to "seed" questions through the hour, and to step in to moderate the discussions if need be.  There has, though, been no need to step in during previous meet the manager sessions, and I'm sure that all our members will follow the natural guidelines of politeness and the other stuff in the forum agreement, and the event will run smoothly and with a really effective flow of information from GWR to our members, and valuable feedback for them.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 17:21:55 »

Hopefully all those members who regularly post on the forum, especially those who are often critical, will be able to join in?

If I didn’t work for GWR (Great Western Railway) I know I would be front row centre at this one given the state of the industry at the moment!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 17:55:03 »

Hopefully all those members who regularly post on the forum, especially those who are often critical, will be able to join in?

If I didn’t work for GWR (Great Western Railway) I know I would be front row centre at this one given the state of the industry at the moment!

Indeed.    Initial questions were put to Mark and his team a couple of days ago, as canvassed around all of our members over the previous week or so.  Once a question has been asked on the forum and the initial (prepared) answer has been posted, all members will be welcome to follow up.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 20:07:12 »

I'd like to attend but I'm working.

Hope it goes well and that having given him the questions well in advance, you don't just get a rehearsed "party line" to each of them by way of response.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 05:46:37 »

Also working.
As a side note, 'tea time' is not good for me. It's tea time!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 06:27:41 »

Also working.
As a side note, 'tea time' is not good for me. It's tea time!

I'd like to attend but I'm working.

Hope it goes well and that having given him the questions well in advance, you don't just get a rehearsed "party line" to each of them by way of response.

Noted, both. Sadly, there is no ideal time.  There's good news in that the outcome and discussion will form part of our archive to that you'll be able to read  the questions, and how they were answered later in the evening and over following days - and indeed you can (and knowing you, will!) join in.    On past form, Mark has visited again and even follow up over the following week; this year, we are at the height of inputs to the ticket office consultation and between rail strikes and I will understand if such follow ups are impractical.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 15:10:05 »

It has to be said member engagement during the session was pretty atrocious.  From a quick scan of the questions and responses only two regular members (so excluding RedSquirrel and Graham) made posts during the live session.

Very disappointing that so many regulars were either unable or unwilling to contribute IMHO (in my humble opinion).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 17:59:15 »

It has to be said member engagement during the session was pretty atrocious.  From a quick scan of the questions and responses only two regular members (so excluding RedSquirrel and Graham) made posts during the live session.

Very disappointing that so many regulars were either unable or unwilling to contribute IMHO (in my humble opinion).

Sadly we don't all work 9-5............perhaps early evening in future may attract more participation?

But well done Graham for organising it, was very interesting to read the replies.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 18:20:26 »

Interestingly, you are asking Mark to work into the evening though?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 19:14:00 »

Sadly we don't all work 9-5............perhaps early evening in future may attract more participation?

Indeed not.  I certainly don’t. 

Though given the number of retired members, and those who now WFH (Working From Home) having a bit more leeway than before, even if just to dip in for fifteen minutes, I would have expected far more than just two.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 21:13:50 »

The questioning was thin, though there were quite a few regular members around.  Perhaps one reason for the very slim follow ups was that the initial answers from Mark were good and addressed the questions in a single shot.  But that's only a part of the answer. Timing is one element.  Member's work patterns are another.   And it seems to be the height of the holiday season; at least here in Melksham none of our key officers was available for the meeting that followed - four absences and a locum clerk (who is very good but of course doesn't have years of background on the project we were progressing) was left holding the baby.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 22:04:21 »

I was wondering about holiday time but we did have one in August going back.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 23:05:21 »

Could the lack of engagement be down to many of us being just a little fed up with railways at the moment?

Certainly my feeling.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2023, 23:13:40 »

Could the lack of engagement be down to many of us being just a little fed up with railways at the moment?

Certainly my feeling.

For myself, I'm spending a lot more time riding on trains than thinking about them at the moment. Aside from the fact that they always seem overcrowded when I travel (is it just me?), my experience has been pretty good!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2023, 09:33:54 »

Certainly my feeling.

My being late for the party was less due to disillusionment and rather more to distraction.....Tempus Fugit while doing the garden.
Must do better next time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: