15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 17:30:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 9 years ago - Swindon to Kemble redoubled / 25th August 2014  (Read 5186 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 25, 2023, 07:32:17 »

9 years ago today - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Work to increase rail capacity between Swindon and Kemble has been completed and trains are running on the two-track route.

The redoubling of the track means trains can now head simultaneously to and from Kemble in Gloucestershire into north Wiltshire.

The line was reduced to a single track in the 1960s as a cost-saving measure by British Rail.

Which other previously singled routes should be redoubled next?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 07:37:23 »

We had a very good thread during the time the works were being planned and carried out. 

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3266.0
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 08:14:45 »

9 years ago today - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Work to increase rail capacity between Swindon and Kemble has been completed and trains are running on the two-track route.

The redoubling of the track means trains can now head simultaneously to and from Kemble in Gloucestershire into north Wiltshire.

The line was reduced to a single track in the 1960s as a cost-saving measure by British Rail.

I wouldn’t want the job of setting priorities nationally, but it would certainly be good to see Narroways Jct to Clifton Down redoubled. And ‘Four Tracks Now’ from Bristol Temple Meads to Parson Street.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 08:18:47 »

I wouldn’t want the job of setting priorities nationally, but it would certainly be good to see Narroways Jct to Clifton Down redoubled. And ‘Four Tracks Now’ from Bristol Temple Meads to Parson Street.

And I would be voting for two tracks from Chippenham to Trowbridge, and four platform tracks through Westbury.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 11:10:01 »

Kemble was the station local to me for a few years at the start of the 'eighties and I wrote a couple of letters to BR (British Rail(ways)), one about the need to redouble the line - the second being that they needed to do something for people ineligible for a railcard. (It was increasingly uncommon, at the station, to see people who looked to be between the ages of 26 and 60)

(Fast forward a few years and I thankfully had an annual season ticket holder's additional nominated railcard - can't recall its name - meaning that running a business involving not much income and a certain amount of travel could be done car-free, which was a blessing for everyone...)

Mark
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 11:36:09 »

Pinhoe > Yeovil Junction > Yeovil Pen Mill > Castle Cary so that it provides a proper diversionary route, whenever there is an Exeter<>Castle Cary block of any kind, without disrupting GWR (Great Western Railway) Weymouth & SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Waterloo schedules.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 11:43:49 »

Thinking of part singling lines... Kemble - Swindon, versus the practice of dynamic loops as in the Scottish Borders Railway and probably the Highland Main Line... there's presumably optimum places to position the loops, and then, places that it would *not* be a good idea to put them.

There must be computational models that can suggest the optimised pattern if a line does *have* to have single track sections - a pattern for the maximum capacity for traffic and another for how well a particular schema copes with disruption.

Back to Kemble and if anything *had* to be singled it that Kemble to Swindon would have been the section best retained as double track as offering more resilience overall than, say, singling Kemble to Sapperton? Thankfully now in the past.

Off topic, but Ribblehead is weird. An entirely double track main line, singled across the viaduct, but it's not uncommon for your train to wait for the short section to clear. Perhaps it's just the way the traffic on the line is organised, with the delay offering resilience to the timetable overall. The signal might be the one at the exit to the loop there rather than the one that briefly halted that lot...

Mark

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 12:00:34 »

... > Yeovil Junction > Yeovil Pen Mill >...

Was Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Pen Mill EVER double all the way?

The railway geography of the area is complex and my understanding is that there was a line from Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Town, and then a reversal to get you to Pen Mill.  Connection added 1943.

AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 12:57:45 »

Somewhere a dynamic loop between Honiton and Pinhoe to enable half hourly Exeter/ Axminster services.

Crediton to Coleford Jn; currently two separate single lines for Okehampton and North Devon.

Both these desirable schemes are outlined planned by Network Rail but await Govt. decision and funding.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 18:29:51 »

The railway geography of the area is complex and my understanding is that there was a line from Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Town, and then a reversal to get you to Pen Mill.  Connection added 1943.

The 1928 25" OS (Ordnance Survey) Map at the NLS shows a double track from Pen Mill southwards to Weymouth, but the GWR (Great Western Railway) Clifton Maybank Branch was only single track.  There was also a double track SR(resolve) line from Yeovil Town to Yeovil Junction, which ran parallel to the GWR line from Pen Mill for a while but did not connect.  The GWR line from pen Mill to Town was also shown as single track. 

The 1938 6" OS shows the same.

Unfortunately these are the most recent maps on the NLS website. 

All that would have been necessary to provide a double track connection would have been a crossover from the GWR double track to the parallel SR double track somewhere along the route.  It seems entirely likely that such a crossover would have been added during WW2, but I can find no evidence to prove it. 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 19:31:38 »

The 1928 25" OS (Ordnance Survey) Map at the NLS shows a double track from Pen Mill southwards to Weymouth, but the GWR (Great Western Railway) Clifton Maybank Branch was only single track.  There was also a double track SR(resolve) line from Yeovil Town to Yeovil Junction, which ran parallel to the GWR line from Pen Mill for a while but did not connect.  The GWR line from pen Mill to Town was also shown as single track. 

The 1938 6" OS shows the same.

Unfortunately these are the most recent maps on the NLS website. 

All that would have been necessary to provide a double track connection would have been a crossover from the GWR double track to the parallel SR double track somewhere along the route.  It seems entirely likely that such a crossover would have been added during WW2, but I can find no evidence to prove it. 

Isn't that in effect what happened, but only as part of the "simplification"? One of the two GWR tracks became the Weymouth Single, and the Pen Mill Single uses the other track at the north and then moves across to take the place of one of the SR tracks into Junction. Much the same could have been done with double tracks, but at the time that was not seen as worthwhile.

NLS does also have the 1:10,000 map "Surveyed / Revised: Pre-1930 to 1961 Published: 1962". The revisions declared as after 1930 are boundaries and major roads to 1961 and major changes in 1957. I'd guess that would include railway changes - but only major ones.  The same thing probably applies to the other smaller-scale maps there, such as the 1:25,000 Provisional Edition; Revised: 1901 to 1957; Published: 1958. What post-1928 revisions are included is not clear, but the two lines are still shown side by side without connection. On the map it says, less than helpfully, "other partial systematic revision 1938-57 has been incorporated".
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023, 09:36:39 »

The wartime connection between the two lines was double track. The signal box contrlling it was switched out most of the time.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 22:54:40 »

I've never understood how singling was other than a very short-term economy measure, allowing a section of track that needed replacing to be abandoned instead or perhaps to keep the track away from a slipping bit of embankment. In the longer term the remaining single track gets twice the usage so will broadly wear out twice as quickly, there are points/switches with far more moving parts than plain track to maintain at each end of the single line section, and the signalling needs to be more complicated with more to go wrong, to cater for those points and allow for trains going in both directions on one track.

Perhaps the biggest saving is ironically at stations, with fewer platforms and associated lighting etc to look after and maintain (as with track, each will be used twice as much as on a single line but I'm guessing deterioration is caused more by the weather than footfall), and nowadays with the increasing emphasis on access for all a sensibly positioned platform on one side of the single track could avoid the expense of a footbridge and accompanying lifts.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 07:11:02 »

I've never understood how singling was other than a very short-term economy measure, allowing a section of track that needed replacing to be abandoned instead or perhaps to keep the track away from a slipping bit of embankment. In the longer term the remaining single track gets twice the usage so will broadly wear out twice as quickly, there are points/switches with far more moving parts than plain track to maintain at each end of the single line section, and the signalling needs to be more complicated with more to go wrong, to cater for those points and allow for trains going in both directions on one track.

Perhaps the biggest saving is ironically at stations, with fewer platforms and associated lighting etc to look after and maintain (as with track, each will be used twice as much as on a single line but I'm guessing deterioration is caused more by the weather than footfall), and nowadays with the increasing emphasis on access for all a sensibly positioned platform on one side of the single track could avoid the expense of a footbridge and accompanying lifts.

Looking back at Swindon <-> Kemble and working out what redoubling might mean for Chippenham <-> Trowbridge

As it stands ... line capacity 3 single journeys per hour
With intermediate signal if very well planned - say 4.5 journeys per hour
With loop in the middle if well planned - say 8 journeys per hour
With dynamic loops between pinch points - say 12 journeys per hour
Redoubled throughout - say 18 journeys per hour

New double track station - Thanet Parkway - £34 million
(( New single track station - Portway Park and Ride - £6 million ))
Cost of redoubling (Swindon to Kemble, £45 million in 2014) - £60 million

Ongoing extra maintenance costs - £??

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: