Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
15:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
14:53 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 17:27:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Built but never opened ...  (Read 3280 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 10, 2023, 12:03:24 »

From earthworks to completed stations and even perhaps the odd line or two, there are abandoned railway dreams across the British Isles.   I even came across one on which a solitary train ran - from WikiPedia

Meanwhile, having obtained Inglis's adjudication in their favour, the Cardiff Railway laid in a temporary junction at Treforest. On 15 May 1909 a revenue-earning coal train from the Bute Colliery at Treherbert passed from the TVR system on to the Cardiff Railway. A directors' saloon was attached to the train and the Marquis of Bute and directors of the Cardiff Railway travelled in the train; the Marquis travelled on the engine for the actual crossing of the junction. Immediately after this apparent triumph, the Taff Vale Railway demanded that the temporary junction be removed, on the grounds that it was unauthorised and in a location not permitted by Parliament.

That case aside, the abandoned earthworks of never-completed lines lie around - from Northern Heights to early attempts at the Channel Tunnel, from Fenny Compton to Rugby and from Dombarton to Maldon.

So whilst I give a hearty cheer to projects underway (and that includes projects that have survived almost a week from Rishi Sunak's announcement of them), I reserve two cheers for when the first revenue earning train passes over the line, and three cheers for when the business case has been proven and the service is permanent.  I am just about allowing myself a third cheer in December here in Melksham, but cheerleaders are still needed, 10 years after getting back a useable service, to help guarantee that it still there in December 2033.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 12:28:08 »

You'll know of Lullingstone station in Kent, Graham.  Built in 1939 to serve development that never came, because of the War and then the creation of the Green Belt. Never opened and largely demolished in 1955.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lullingstone_railway_station
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 13:42:36 »

Only one train... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llangurig_branch
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 14:10:48 »

Dombarton to Maldon is New South Wales rather than UK (United Kingdom)... a 1980s venture, it's quite easy to find on Google Earth as its quoted as 70% complete, at the northern end of the line piers and the deck of a viaduct run confidently towards a river gully - and there's even the odd hoarding to be found announcing its purpose as a imminent freight corridor.

Closer to home, that line from Drybrook to Mitcheldean Road... that never carried a train service did it? Despite being completed and track laid....

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 14:49:29 »

The Northern Height is quite well known (at least amongst maverick circles such as ours - but how many of us have come across the Southern Heights and reading up on that lead me to plotlands and the need (at least perceived at least by thems who likes to tell other what they can and cannot do) to have the planning permission system.  I must get a life - I spend far too long drifting around obscure pages and sites.

You'll know of Lullingstone station in Kent, Graham.  Built in 1939 to serve development that never came, because of the War and then the creation of the Green Belt. Never opened and largely demolished in 1955.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lullingstone_railway_station

Ah - childhood memories.  Country walks from Eynsford station, across the bridge by the ford, diagonally across the field up the hill to where the public footpath crossed the railway at the end of Lullingstone Viaduct and onwards past Lullingstone Park to Parkgate. The remnants of the station, I recall, were in the cutting just before the railway entered the tunnel on its way to Swanley, passing under the Crockenhill Road.   All of which will mean nothing to the readers who don't know the place, but I can close my eyes and picture it.   Thanks for bringing back those happy memories, Richard - I wonder what it's like now.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 16:43:51 »

When the GWR (Great Western Railway) built their Clifton Maybank extension to Yeovil Junction access was via a north to west chord. At the same time they laid the earthwork for a south to west chord but this was never used. The slight embankment can still be seen on Google maps( satellite) and in the National Library of Scotland OS (Ordnance Survey) maps
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 09:18:51 »

When the GWR (Great Western Railway) built their Clifton Maybank extension to Yeovil Junction access was via a north to west chord. At the same time they laid the earthwork for a south to west chord but this was never used. The slight embankment can still be seen on Google maps( satellite) and in the National Library of Scotland OS (Ordnance Survey) maps

It's visible as you pass on the train too.  Following the Mark Harper approach, as an example of how things could be improved for the future I suggest (re)laying the whole triangle and having Westbury - Weymouth services call (with reversal) at Yeovil Junction.

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 10:46:40 »

*Notices that, flooding conditions aside, and also that the line would draw a bead on Clifton House, the river valley curve beneath Yeovil Junction did most of the excavation for a hypothetical curve enabling Yeovil Junction low level platforms*

Curious little (ex) passage beneath the entire Yeovil Station site.

The various earthworks and particularly the scarp on the outside of that river bend show up well on lidar

Mark

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.3&lat=50.92709&lon=-2.60874&layers=253&b=18
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 19:31:25 »

It had crossed my mind as well. You would run into the current heritage railway platforms which are used by the heritage railway and, I think, Network Rail. How the Yeovil Railway Centre would be able to continue to run its services is another aspect.
It would need significant alterations to pway and signalling. Would Pen Mill control it or Basingstoke ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region)?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 20:18:51 »

It had crossed my mind as well. You would run into the current heritage railway platforms which are used by the heritage railway and, I think, Network Rail. How the Yeovil Railway Centre would be able to continue to run its services is another aspect.
It would need significant alterations to pway and signalling. Would Pen Mill control it or Basingstoke ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region)?

I see no reason why it could not run into the Network Rail down platform. 

If the alignment on the triangle was intended as double track the railway centre line could perhaps be diverted to run parallel on the southern chord?

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 22:33:02 »

The photo shows the current layout at Yeovil Junction. The down sidings are used for stabling stck overnight. There is no signalled route to the sidings from SE4753 on the current line from Pen Mill.
The envisaged idea would be to connect via the siding used by the Yeovil Railway Centre, the old Clifton Maybank line, in the down direction. This would access the current heritage platform. Reversing would be out along the west to south chord. The question arises about how this would be signalled. Could a train be held in this new alignment while another is signalled on the main GWR (Great Western Railway) line?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 07:54:33 »

Most of these "never even opened" lines would be a laughing stock if we suggested them today, but the Clifton Maybank curve(s) / changes at Yeovil would be a very serious idea - not opening next year, perhaps, but as a sensible sort out of a Yeovil for the future.  Passenger interchanges between the two lines that cross there, Exeter to Weymouth services and even a flying junction to let trains off the GWR (Great Western Railway) main line via Castle Cary join a redoubled "Mule" with robust operation.    Listening to Keir Starmer yesterday, perhaps some of his new homes would be built in communities around already-existing stations - future communities at Beer Hackett and Chetnole with transport infrastructure and services in place. 

Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 08:31:46 »

There would need to be some thought about how the timetables would work with this. 

You'd probably want to get everything to cross at Yeovil Junction so as to maximise the connections. At Yeovil you'd mostly be concerned about connections between the Salisbury -  Exeter service to/from the Weymouth direction. Exeter - Westbury and Salisbury - Westbury connections would only matter for the intermediate stations.

Crossing at Yeovil Junction looks possible - the running time to Weymouth and back would work with a two-hour frequency.

But it would mean that you'd want to have two platforms or one long one (in Penryn style).

That's a bit like how Ely used to work with a two-hourly cycle before the electrification of the King's Lynn line - all four trains (from London, King's Lynn, Birmingham and Norwich) would meet every two hours. 

WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 12:11:52 »

This type of scheme at Yeovil Junction has been proposed since Noah was a young man. The question today is what is the real demand for such an interchange facility. There are (good?) alternative options to Exeter and beyond from Castle Cary. Weymouth to Exeter demand cannot be especially large and an interchange would really only enhance services - Weymouth to Crewkerne, Axminster and Honiton. Axminster already has a reasonable bus connection. Some eastbound journeys towards Salisbury might also be improved.

There are various proposals for a Weymouth to Waterloo service via Yeovil and Salisbury. These are especially promoted by local MPs (Member of Parliament) who claim a faster journey would result compared to that via Southampton. I have not looked at the timings but without some express services (YVJ to SAL/WAT) and an increase in capacity over all the single line sections, it looks like fairy dust.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 12:42:45 »

This type of scheme at Yeovil Junction has been proposed since Noah was a young man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Young

« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 12:49:19 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: