Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:44:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should passengers be allowed to eat on the train?  (Voting closed: November 27, 2023, 08:19:53)
No - 1 (1.7%)
Only food purchased on the train - 1 (1.7%)
Only cold food - 7 (11.7%)
Yes any food - 19 (31.7%)
... on ANY train - 15 (25%)
... on bigger trains (not deep tubes) - 6 (10%)
... on long distance trains - 6 (10%)
Something else - 5 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eating (and drinking) on the train - should it be allowed  (Read 815 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 23, 2023, 08:19:53 »

From The Standard

Any Londoner who regularly travels by Tube will have encountered it: an obnoxious traveller tucking into a pungent McDonald’s, greasy fingers on greasy fries, each mouthful of quarter-pounder an act of inhumanity. Or another, Pizza Express box balanced on thighs, chowing down on slices of an American Hot, as pepperoni wafts around the carriage, an assault on the senses.

This is not even the nadir. The worst by far is the drunk with the kebab. Few dishes are more potent than a lamb doner, where thick ribbons of meat and fat squelch under a sea of garlic mayonnaise. Eating such a dish in the stuffy confines of an underground rail carriage with the only ventilation the dusty air of the tunnels? I think not.

Complex topic - multiple votes allowed

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 09:40:08 »

On any train, but only at a safe smelling distance from other passengers.  Which depends on the smelliness of the food, and the distance to the nearest passenger who isn't part of your own group.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 12:24:17 »

Anything not pungent, preferably eaten from a receptacle or wrapper that avoids mess.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 18:39:55 »

Live and let live.....and let eat!

One man's pungent is another man's fragrant.

Getting upset about this issue is very much a First world problem.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 06:47:29 »

Old fashioned concept; with consideratin for other passengers.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 07:59:09 »

I selected the 'Something Else' option. As noted above consumption of food & drink on trains should always exhibit consideration for the passengers, and railway staff - respect subsequent users and the cleaners who have a horrible enough job already.
And no seriously 'pungent' food products; geographically OT but the complete public transport ban on the consumption, and in some instances carrying, of durian in Singapore and Malaysia comes to mind.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 08:29:09 »

Old fashioned concept; with consideratin for other passengers.

A fair point, which goes both ways, along with tolerance.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 22:47:30 »

27 out of 28 said yes, 19 of those without restriction on what the food should be.  I am eating buffalo wings at present ... I wonder if that thought will make anyone change their mind.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 23:28:56 »

I'm inclined to say there shouldn't be a rule against it, but people should be reasonably considerate in their choice of food. Lines are of course blurred; I don't find the smell of oranges or bananas particularly pleasant when the person next to me eats them, but they probably wouldn't generally be seen as noxious. Expectations will vary – a Tube train is a very enclosed space and it might be fiddly eating while standing in a crowd; on the other hand in a restaurant car one should assume there will be diners nearby.

I think having a soft drink is absolutely right. And when I have an early start I often plan around having some sort of breakfast on the train. Then there are those who might have a medical need to eat. On the other hand I think there are limits to what is pleasant to be around - but there will be a range of views on where the line is drawn, just as with a passenger having a loud phone call. Personally I'd stick to quite neutral foods, and I'll mostly only eat while I have a pair of seats to myself – a system that works well on journeys where I'm starting/ending at the quiet end, but wouldn't work for everyone.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: