19:19 Carmarthen to Swansea
Short Run
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 17:23:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[299] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[195] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[153] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[33] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[29] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[14] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Theoretical Design For A New DMU For Portsmouth-Cardiff Services  (Read 24438 times)
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 20:54:25 »

Disagree.

They're overweight piles of junk. The concept needs redesigning and the engines need to be more spread out.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 21:02:09 »

But they offer improved acceleration, and less dwell than 158s.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 21:22:18 »

Again. Disagree.

185s are unsuitable for the TPE (Trans Pennine Express) route - a lot of commuters have this view. There is a lack of seating due to it being a 1/3 and 2/3 door alignment.

Portsmouth to Cardiff is majorly different mainly due to the fact that trains stop less than on TPE, are not used as much as TPE for commuter through traffic (feel free to dispute this, but it's a fact and is unavoidable). Carriage end doors as per the 158 and 444 fleets would be far more suitable for Cardiff Pompey.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 22:10:15 »

Again. Disagree.

185s are unsuitable for the TPE (Trans Pennine Express) route - a lot of commuters have this view. There is a lack of seating due to it being a 1/3 and 2/3 door alignment.

Portsmouth to Cardiff is majorly different mainly due to the fact that trains stop less than on TPE, are not used as much as TPE for commuter through traffic (feel free to dispute this, but it's a fact and is unavoidable). Carriage end doors as per the 158 and 444 fleets would be far more suitable for Cardiff Pompey.

Actually, passengers prefer the new 185s "particularly the ease of getting on and off." This is due to the doors.

Punctuality has improved - look at another thread on this forum - FTPE» (First TransPennine Express - website) are right up near the top.

The reason why there are not enough seats is that the trains are only 3 cars! The gov would not fund (according to Wikipedia) an extra coach.

The fact that the trains stop more on Cardiff to "Pompey" (Portsmouth?)  points towards having the better acceleration.

They are also more reliable and eco friendly.

They have faults (like their weight etc.), but these could be fixed for mark 2.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 23:03:37 »

The "ease of getting on and off" has reduced the number of seats. People like seats. Seats = good. I'll agree it improves the possibility of getting on and off quicker reducing dwell time, but I don't think people enjoy standing on 1hr+ journies!

Punctuality has improved for one reason. The timetable hasn't changed much, only a bit of tightening up, and hence there is more slack to play with.

The reason why the trains do not have enough seats are because the doors are too bloody big and occupy too much of the coach. There is still an option for an additional 185 coach.

Let's review a train on the TPE (Trans Pennine Express) route, Scarborough to Manchester Airport against Cardiff to Portsmouth.

Scarborough - Seamer: 2 miles 72 chains
Seamer - Malton: 18 miles 2 chains
Malton - York (85~mph linespeed): 21 miles 12 chains
York - Leeds: 25 miles 46 chains
Leeds - Dewsbury: 9 miles 12 chains
Dewsbury - Huddersfield: 8 miles 2 chains
Huddersfield - Manchester Piccadilly (70 - 80mph linespeed): 25 miles 28 chains
Manchester Piccadilly - M. Airport (15 - 60mph linespeed): 9 miles 72 chains

You get the idea here where the TPE route is fairly high speed and has varying lengths between stations...

Cardiff Central - Newport S Wales: 11 miles 60 chains
Newport S Wales - Filton Abbey Wd: 23 miles 12 chains
Filton Abbey Wd - Bristol Temple Mds: 4 miles 28 chains
Bristol Temple Mds - Bath Spa: 11 miles 40 chains

I'm not going to continue but bear in mind the average linespeed between stops on the Cardiff Portsmouth route is lower - therefore the enhanced speed potential is sort of negated as 185s cannot take advantage of Sprinter linespeed differentials at present unless the infrastructure is upgraded. That's occured on all TPE lines and, well, you get the idea. The problem with introducing the heavy 185s is that you cannot really benefit without spending thousands on P.Way improvements (which could be better used in upgrading other lines, such as the Cotswolds).

185s are more reliable but are certainly not more eco friendly than 158s!! Only the EM mode that has been introduced more recently has improved it - and this only works by dropping out one engine where required... such are the problems of using the same engines as a Voyager!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 09:17:30 »

I'm not sure that 1/3 and 2/3 doors are ideal, they reduce seating capacity and also luggage space. Sure, there are longer dwell times with end doors but the 158s with the slowest doors known to man seem to cope!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 11:32:18 »

But what I am saying is that you could add an extra coach to make up for the loss of seats.

And make them lighter.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 12:54:46 »

You can't just make something lighter... if you could we'd all have magic wands, have little broomsticks we fly around on...

Btline - you can't just make trains longer either! In this day of computers, adding an additional coach requires rebuilding the software!!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 13:01:01 »

But what I am saying is that you could add an extra coach to make up for the loss of seats.

And make them lighter.

Btline. We live in a world of efficiency. They aren't going to fund an extra coach to get the same seats as having one less are they?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 13:03:53 »

It would all be so much easier if we could fly around on English Electric powered broomsticks.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 13:16:48 »

You can't just make something lighter... if you could we'd all have magic wands, have little broomsticks we fly around on...

Btline - you can't just make trains longer either! In this day of computers, adding an additional coach requires rebuilding the software!!

Umm, I'm not talking about modifying exiting stock, but designing new stock (as per the title) based on the 185. Therefore there would not be any need for software mods and it would be possible to design something to be lighter without using a magic wand.

e.g. The new 172s (as in my picture), are the same as the 168s,170s and 171s. However, they are to be lighter, with improved acceleration.
e.g. The Meridians are clones of the Voyagers - with improvements.

Therefore we do live in a world where this is possible!

Btline. We live in a world of efficiency. They aren't going to fund an extra coach to get the same seats as having one less are they?

A valid point, but any new build will loose seats anyway - wheelchair toilet/space (which I am all for, IF the train length is increased to compensate).

In addition, new stock should be planning ahead for growth so an extra coach is needed. On FTPE» (First TransPennine Express - website), they have made the capacity lower, when they should have made it larger. A 3 car 185 has less standard seats than a 158. A 4 car 185 would have the same number, lus "growing room."

And at the same time, delays are reduced.

Punctuality has improved for one reason. The timetable hasn't changed much, only a bit of tightening up, and hence there is more slack to play with.

That was the idea. Allow every train to arrive in stations say 30 secs earlier, cutting delays. in time, any slack which they think is too much can be tightened up, although this is unlikely.

And more FTPE people prefer the new 185 trains (surprising, considering that more commuters have to stand at peak times).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 13:17:29 »

It would all be so much easier if we could fly around on English Electric powered broomsticks.

Perhaps, but I think even a Pacer would be more comfortable! Tongue
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 13:21:58 »

Umm, I'm not talking about modifying exiting stock, but designing new stock (as per the title) based on the 185. Therefore there would not be any need for software mods and it would be possible to design something to be lighter without using a magic wand.

e.g. The new 172s (as in my picture), are the same as the 168s,170s and 171s. However, they are to be lighter, with improved acceleration.

One thing, 172s and Meridians are vastly different from the trash Siemens bring out ...

A valid point, but any new build will loose seats anyway - wheelchair toilet/space (which I am all for, IF the train length is increased to compensate).

In addition, new stock should be planning ahead for growth so an extra coach is needed. On FTPE» (First TransPennine Express - website), they have made the capacity lower, when they should have made it larger. A 3 car 185 has less standard seats than a 158. A 4 car 185 would have the same number, lus "growing room."

The 3 car 185s did plan for growth ... just the growth levels were a bit, well, higher than what they were expecting. Also the huge toilets are a bit pointless, eats up half of a coach!

That was the idea. Allow every train to arrive in stations say 30 secs earlier, cutting delays. in time, any slack which they think is too much can be tightened up, although this is unlikely.

And more FTPE people prefer the new 185 trains (surprising, considering that more commuters have to stand at peak times).
TCpedia asks... citation needed! And enthusiasts don't count for preferring 185 trains.

You can't tighten an already tight schedule, btw. TPE (Trans Pennine Express) interface with a number of TOCs (Train Operating Company) and once they lose their path it could delay trains across the entire Pennines...
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 13:53:45 »

One thing, 172s and Meridians are vastly different from the trash Siemens bring out ...

The 3 car 185s did plan for growth ... just the growth levels were a bit, well, higher than what they were expecting. Also the huge toilets are a bit pointless, eats up half of a coach!

TCpedia asks... citation needed! And enthusiasts don't count for preferring 185 trains.

You can't tighten an already tight schedule, btw. TPE (Trans Pennine Express) interface with a number of TOCs (Train Operating Company) and once they lose their path it could delay trains across the entire Pennines...

But how can FTPE have proveded for growth if there are less seat? Huh

I think FTPE did a survey.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 13:55:55 »

BTW (by the way), if TPE (Trans Pennine Express) do a survey, surely it's in their interest to say people prefer 185s? I'd rather see it done independently!!

Aaaaalso, passenger figures on the TPE network at the time of procurement for the 185s were dropping - but in the event of an increase a 4th car option was inserted into the contract. TPE lobbied the govt. to provide this fourth car, but as you've already said they refused on grounds of cost and that there wasn't enough overcrowding....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: