Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:19:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Theoretical Design For A New DMU For Portsmouth-Cardiff Services  (Read 24129 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2019, 07:36:25 »

About to do a spot of research.....

If you were to design a new-build unit for Portsmouth-Cardiff services, what features would it have, how many carriages, would it be based on a unit already in existence etc.

This thread of over a decade ago has popped up on one of my admin pages as being read again - and indeed it does make for interesting reading at the time that the Cardiff - Portsmouth trains are indeed in the process of growing from 3 to 5 carriages

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2019, 11:53:02 »

On that subject................what has happened to all the "extra seats" (albeit 5 abreast) we were promised on this route ??  Turbos seem to be as rare as hen's teeth nowadays.
Just had a look at Warminster CIS (Customer Information System) - of 7 Cardiff/Portsmouth trains shown, 6 are identified as having 3 coaches and only 1 as having 5 coaches !
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2019, 14:02:18 »

1530 ex Cardiff was 5 coaches on Tuesday.  talking to the guard/conductor, he wasn't very happy about the fact that it is not possible to walk through the whole train and check tickets.  Needless to say that, being a turbo, there were no seat reservations or carriage letters

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2019, 20:23:41 »

1530 ex Cardiff was 5 coaches on Tuesday.  talking to the guard/conductor, he wasn't very happy about the fact that it is not possible to walk through the whole train and check tickets.  Needless to say that, being a turbo, there were no seat reservations or carriage letters
Was never going to be an ideal solution having two separate trains with no walk through. If only there had been some spare 158’s to strengthen the existing GWR (Great Western Railway) fleet operating the route but alas there isn’t.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2019, 21:30:14 »

On that subject................what has happened to all the "extra seats" (albeit 5 abreast) we were promised on this route ??  Turbos seem to be as rare as hen's teeth nowadays ...

Remember there are - what - 4 units still in the east which should have come across at the New Year when Newbury went electric - those on the Bedwyns which, however, haven't gone 80x because of the need for camera mods for DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) operation.    I do wonder, mind you, if 3 more 80x units were already in use on those services how many other services would be 5 carriages instead of 10.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2019, 21:43:24 »

I do wonder, mind you, if 3 more 80x units were already in use on those services how many other services would be 5 carriages instead of 10.
Certainly does make you wonder  Roll Eyes
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2019, 19:15:54 »

Part of me wonders whether it wouldn't be possible to convert some of the 5-car Hitachis to diesel/third rail and use them on the Portsmouth service. They'd be less bad there than on the Main Line.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2019, 19:36:10 »

I thought all of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Hitachis would run on diesel. Is range an issue?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2019, 22:00:44 »

Part of me wonders whether it wouldn't be possible to convert some of the 5-car Hitachis to diesel/third rail and use them on the Portsmouth service. They'd be less bad there than on the Main Line.

Not suitable - have only 4 abreast seating and adequate leg room !
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2019, 22:19:51 »

The most suitable modern cost effective train for Portsmouth to Cardiff, in my opinion is the Voyager class 220.
Then HSTs (High Speed Train) for the cross country Poole/Bournemouth to Manchester services.
But in the real world..
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2019, 22:49:16 »

Not that it’s likely to happen, but would there be enough seats on a 4-car Voyager?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2019, 00:01:18 »

5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) should do.
Build some more 10 car (not 5+5) IETs, mechanically similar to and interchangeable with the present fleet but with a proper inter-city internal fit out.
Use these new inter-city IETs on the longer distance and more important GWR (Great Western Railway) services, and transfer some of the existing 5 car units to Cardiff-Portsmouth.

My well known objections to IETs are not primarily on engineering or technical grounds, but are due to the downgraded passenger experience on routes previously operated by proper inter-city trains.

I have little objection to additional full length IETs being built with proper inter-city internal arrangements, and cascading the shorter and lower specification units to secondary routes.
New IETs should be more affordable than the first lot.
Maintenance should be simplified if the new units are mechanically like the existing fleet, differing only in internal fittings, equipment and layout.
One type of train from the driving P.O.V. simplifying training and rostering.
Already approved by the various regulatory agencies, unlike a new design.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2019, 00:14:36 »

On stuff that's around - and a paper exercise - 172/2 and 172/3 units. Modern, 5 car, 2+2 seating, through gangway, 100 m.p.h., Centre carriage doors for faster intermediate loading / unloading.  In fact pretty much the stuff that was about to be ordered (or had been and was cancelled) when electrification of the inner services from Paddington was announced and the turbos became available.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2019, 02:24:36 »

Was never going to be an ideal solution having two separate trains with no walk through. If only there had been some spare 158’s to strengthen the existing GWR (Great Western Railway) fleet operating the route but alas there isn’t.

Yet elsewhere on the GWR network, two separate trains with no walk through have been recently introduced and touted as a great step forward.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2019, 03:12:12 »

5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) should do.
Build some more 10 car (not 5+5) IETs, mechanically similar to and interchangeable with the present fleet but with a proper inter-city internal fit out.
Use these new inter-city IETs on the longer distance and more important GWR (Great Western Railway) services, and transfer some of the existing 5 car units to Cardiff-Portsmouth.

My well known objections to IETs are not primarily on engineering or technical grounds, but are due to the downgraded passenger experience on routes previously operated by proper inter-city trains.

I have little objection to additional full length IETs being built with proper inter-city internal arrangements, and cascading the shorter and lower specification units to secondary routes.
New IETs should be more affordable than the first lot.
Maintenance should be simplified if the new units are mechanically like the existing fleet, differing only in internal fittings, equipment and layout.
One type of train from the driving P.O.V. simplifying training and rostering.
Already approved by the various regulatory agencies, unlike a new design.

And how will they be cheaper?
What you gonna say to Bristol/Cheltenham/Cotswolds people who need shorter trains to provide service change?
Who is going to pay for the “intercity internal arrangements” and will it provide seating capacity improvements?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: