I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:14:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cholsey and Wallingford Railway - between Didcot Parkway and Reading  (Read 16102 times)
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 16:33:41 »

This Sunday and Monday for the first time in nearly 20 years we'll be running 2 steam engines together on the line! Normal timetable in operation but with lots of combinations throughout the day including double heading and banking. The line up is Peckett's 1555 (Ivor) and 2142 (Northern Gas Board No.1).

Free car parking at Wallingford Station or of course you can join us at Cholsey Station where we run out of the original bay platform 5. We swill usually wait for the xx37 up stoppers on Sundays.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 18:40:07 »

Made a return visit to the Cholsey & Wallingford today.

The railway made great strides in its early days to get the level crossing over the newly constructed Wallingford bypass and reach the bay platform at Cholsey next to the mainline.   However I sense progress has, almost inevitably, slowed in recent years.   The station was much as I remembered it from my last visit however there are plans to bring the old canopy from Maidenhead Station to Wallingford in the next year.  Also some more land has been purchased which may be sufficient to add another siding and relieve some of the congestion in the station area.  So there is renewed hope for the future.

(not really quite sure what the tractor is doing there....)

The mainstays on the line are 08 diesel shunters.  Two, Lion and Unicorn from the Guinness brewery at Park Royal and one which came straight from BR (British Rail(ways)) (08123) named George Mason after a benefactor from the Cholsey & Wallingford's earliest days.

The journey takes 15 minutes mostly past fields plus a view of Cholsey Church where Agatha Christie is buried

As mentioned on another thread (http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=17280.msg198761#msg198761) through tickets are available from the national network

If you have a whole day there is the scope to combine a visit to the C&W with the nearby Didcot Railway Centre and the Pendon model museum.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 10:53:27 »

No tractor there earlier in June (and the gates were locked), but apart from that, pretty similar!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 14:52:29 »

The Railway has announced the appointment of Mark Hopwood CBE as its new President.

He succeeds the late Sir William McAlpine.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 11:11:56 »

Driving past this morning on a grocery run I saw the new train shed has been erected over the station - looks quite smart from a distance.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 16:41:46 »

It is ex-Platform 5 at Maidenhead. Good to see that it has been preserved.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 17:09:41 »

From the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway's Facebook page:

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 07:04:59 »

I've recently become involved again with the C&WR (I'm the new membership secretary) and, after a number of years treading water, I'm delighted with recent progress and Mark Hopwood becoming President. The canopy has been done beautifully and good progress is being made paving the platform, which will make a huge difference. Plans are at long last being made to build some permanent station buildings and move away from the portacabins. A strip of land was acquired when Lidl was built next door, which will allow the construction of a much needed runround loop in the next year or two.

The 'Coffee Stop' which was at Cholsey Station pre-Covid has moved to Wallingford and is very proving popular opening Tuesday - Saturday for takeaway. We are hoping to make this a more permanent arrangement in the future and provide outdoor seating when resrictions ease.

A grand opening of the canopy is being planned for the summer, hopefully with a suitable GW (Great Western) steam loco. Do pay us a visit if you can or why not join up to stay in touch and benefit from travel concessions? https://www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com/membership
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 09:31:51 »

I've recently become involved again with the C&WR (I'm the new membership secretary)

Small world.   I was Membership Secretary for the C&WRPS back in the 1980s.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 11:07:27 »

The canopy has been done beautifully...

It has been done beautifully, looking at the photo Red Squirrel linked to.  Just a shame you couldn't have slotted in the old footbridge at Taplow somewhere.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 23:37:18 »

The canopy has been done beautifully...

It has been done beautifully, looking at the photo Red Squirrel linked to.  Just a shame you couldn't have slotted in the old footbridge at Taplow somewhere.  Wink

I had no idea about this, although I had been planning a visit pre the current unpleasantness.  I'm slightly pleased my visit was delayed.  This means that I can now appreciate this.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 12:17:30 »

So proud of our little line last weekend. We officially opened the Maidenhead canopy at the new Wallingford Station on Friday 25th with 'Railway Royalty' including Sir Peter Hendy, Tim Dunn, Lady McAlpine, Mark Hopwood, Lord Bradshaw and of course many of our amazing volunteers! We've still got lots to do, but there is a great can do attitude around the place at the moment and some great people. Oh and we sold over 6000 tickets in the first week for Polar Express too!

There was a nice bit of coverage on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today last night. Scroll to 09:41, but be quick as I think it only stay up until 6.30pm this evening www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000xjk1

There is also this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-57682265

4612 is with us until the end of the month so do come and have a ride!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2021, 17:06:47 »

A candidate for Vivarails battery units with "Fast Charge" at Cholsey.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2021, 17:47:56 »

I’m sure they’d rather continue with their steam operation!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2021, 15:43:02 »

Is any Cholsey and Wallingford Railway member at liberty to tell us what is happening with the Wallingford Bypass Level Crossing which is in obvious need of repair? Hence the tidal flow road traffic lights.  As the railway came first, I am assuming that it is the responsibility of the local authority to make good the collapsed road surface.

I also noticed today there was a railway crossing keeper and what looked like an operator for the traffic lights as the railway looks to be in operation.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: