Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:50:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Twyford to Henley branch line - services, timetables, incidents and improvements  (Read 88224 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2014, 20:23:32 »

Cough, splutter.  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2014, 20:47:35 »

and 2 on and 2 off each train as it calls at each of Shiplake and Wargrave.

Can you think of any stations which might welcome the hourly service Wargrave could move to, and which probably will be averaging more per train than it?

I can indeed - there's a certain station in a residential area not too far from where I live that 60 passenger trains a day pass through, but stops are curiously erratic like a 3 hour gap in the morning peak to the nearest city, which is just 2 stops away ... 4 trains run through non-stop during those three hours, and the train at the end of the three hour gap terminates after one stop leaving you with a 50 minute wait.

BUT this is not about comparisons in that way - especially on a branch, the CRP (Community Rail Partnership) / user group / local communities should put their heads together, and with the train operator and Network Rail as appropriate ... not up to those of us far away to be the experts for them, and work out their balance - they are best placed to do that.

P.S.  For all I know, there could be ticket anomalies on the Henley branch as there have been from Dorking West to Lelant, and from Dorchester to Tyndrum

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Silver

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2014, 20:58:29 »

I would question what proportion of the Henley annual usage occurs during the Regatta when there is already an enhance Henley service at the cost of stops at Wargrave and how many additional passengers would be recorded at Wargrave if there were ticket buying facilities at the station......
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2015, 07:51:08 »

The last of the old type filament bulb signals have been replaced on the Henley branch.

This is the final signal before the bay at Twyford.  I note the new signal no longer displays a B when trains are routed into the bay platform and there is no calling on signal anymore.  The driver also now has a short walk if he wants to use the phone.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2015, 17:21:29 »

Bobm, there is still a position light on the signal. It is now integrated into the main signal head, that's all.

The location of the telephone is a moot point as the majority of calls will be made using the GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) radio, and of course trains should be stopped short of the signal anyway, so if anything the walk for the driver is a shorter one  Smiley
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2015, 17:25:36 »

Any reason for dispensing with the B in the theatre box?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2015, 20:32:24 »

Are you sure it's not still there? After all, an LED signal head only needs two lamps. If you zoom in, the top one looks different from the other two - and it's even square.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2015, 20:48:10 »

But it isn't lit. The old signal always showed a B for the bay or R for the relief line. I have never seen it show a proceed aspect without one or the other.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2015, 22:19:38 »

With modern signalling principles it is not necessary to show a route indication for the straight route if it is the higher speed route (to the bay line in this case).  I will have a check of the Signalling Scheme Plan when I'm back at work.
insider

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2015, 22:25:50 »

This is a fault. Drivers are speaking to TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) Twyford to confirm route is set for Bay or Relief.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2015, 22:55:28 »

This is a fault. Drivers are speaking to TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) Twyford to confirm route is set for Bay or Relief.

I have since found a 2011 Signalling Scheme Plan that shows the signal as having the two route indications as previously (B and R).
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2015, 10:08:45 »

The driver also now has a short walk if he wants to use the phone.

This is a result of new standards.  Signal Post Telephones are now provided in front of the signal.  They are usually located where the driver would stop his train when the signal was red anyway. It was deemed to be safer than having the SPT (Signal Post Telephone) on the signal post.  The driver's clear vision of all the aspects and the associated identification plate is not now limited by the length of the handset cord.  There are some locations where this is not possible, and there is a load of paperwork that has to be raised to justify the decision.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:28:12 by Visoflex » Logged
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2015, 06:49:51 »

So I've travelled the line a few times since the new signalling came in and I have a couple of questions.

Now that the down home at Henley has been replaced by a fixed distance, what is the point of having an up starter at Henley? Would it still allow in theory 2 (or 3!) units to run down to Henley then split forming two departures in a row?

I'm I right in thinking the new arrangement wouldn't allow (which I think used to be possible?) two units to follow each other down the branch and join at Henley.

Not that I've seen either of the above ever happen - the branch is just operated as a long siding, and has been for the 25 years I've been using it!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2015, 09:37:20 »

I'm I right in thinking the new arrangement wouldn't allow (which I think used to be possible?) two units to follow each other down the branch and join at Henley.
The Down Home - tantalisingly too far away from Mill Lane bridge to be seen easily - had a set of calling-on cats eyes for just that move.  But like you, I never saw that happen - even during the annual Henley Regatta. It does beg the question (that you posed) as to why now have a starter at all.  When I used the branch, a starting service always used to accelerate up to the starter and then break heavily, down to a low speed, as the starter was passed. I don't know if that was something to do with TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) or a mandatory brake test.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: