Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:33:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Timetable Puzzle  (Read 5854 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:12:42 »

FGW (First Great Western) timetable Booklet C 18 May 13 December 2008 Banbury Oxford London  Mondays to Friday Page 51.

This page has  2 trains only

CH                     GW (Great Western)
                               S
Banbury dep            23:44 fast        23:50 All staions
Oxford arrive           00:18               00:18

CH = Chiltern
GW = FGW
S from stratford.

Please explain.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 14:06:36 »

I catch the Chiltern Railways 23:44 ex Banbury fairly often. It's another case of silly amounts of 'slack' with a usual running time of about 22 minutes it usually arrives Oxford bay platform about 10 minutes early.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 21:43:09 »

Is this the only Chiltern Service to Oxford?  It just seems a bit random to me, what's the reason behind it, as i can't see a return journey for the train.  It's a bit like the one random Journey to Paddington from Gerrards Cross and it's return to Princes Risborough... Is that service well used from paddington and why is it that one service?  Huh
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 21:48:50 »

Route retention knowledge so crews know the route in case it is required in the future (ie, problems into Marylebone, Chiltern could run through to Oxford to connect with FGW (First Great Western)).
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 22:04:11 »

Oh i see, thanks for the quick reply.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 23:18:32 »

There is (or was last year) a late evening XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service that runs from Sheffield to York via Pontefract precisely for this reason. I was a bit taken aback when we went that way.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:20:38 »

Route retention knowledge so crews know the route in case it is required in the future (ie, problems into Marylebone, Chiltern could run through to Oxford to connect with FGW (First Great Western)).
There is (or was last year) a late evening XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service that runs from Sheffield to York via Pontefract precisely for this reason. I was a bit taken aback when we went that way.

Thanks for replies:

I guessed that's what it was it just struck me as odd that two trains were shown to arrive at Oxford at the same time. Any expalnations for that running time, if as IndustryInsider says it usually runs 10 early..

One or two TOCSs especially Chiltern are quite good at running the odd train on diversionary routes to keep up driver route knowledge hence GX to Padd.

Wrexham and Shrewsbury are the ones for routings around Birminham, They know two routes from Wolverhampton to New Street  Stour Valley and Soho Loop and also Two routes from Tame Bridge Parkway to Coventry. They also know Crewe Shrewsbury for maintence moves and are learnign Crewe Wolverhapton via Stafford.

Virgin drivers are curently learning Coventry, Leamington, Greenford Acton Acton Wells Euston possibly first time any will have seen semaphores at Banbury. If they only do WCML (West Coast Main Line).

Does FGW run anything Yeovil Pen Mill to Exeter St Davids to keep up drivers route knowledge? It's been used by HSTs (High Speed Train) in the past on diversion.  In fact what crews do know Pen Mill to Junction?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:40:30 »

Sleeper occasionally goes via Yeovil
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 01:20:27 »

All Exeter HSS (High Speed Services) drivers should sign via Yeovil. On the West side, they did have booked jobs upto a few years ago, whether any West drivers still sign Exeter - Yeovil - Cary is open to debate. One person will know... Wink
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 12:55:05 »

All Exeter HSS (High Speed Services) drivers should sign via Yeovil. On the West side, they did have booked jobs upto a few years ago, whether any West drivers still sign Exeter - Yeovil - Cary is open to debate. One person will know... Wink

Q) Do FGW (First Great Western) West drivers sign the Exeter-Yeovil Junction-Yeovil Pen Mill-Castle Cary route?

Quote from: Andrew Pennington, FGW (First Great Western) Head Of Train Planning
A limited number as we divert HSTs (High Speed Train) & the sleeper that way when Taunton etc is blocked.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 17:07:09 »

Do Wrexham and Shropshire ever go through New Street? I thought they went around.

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) know the Camp Hill freight line (alternate route from Barnt Green / Kings Norton to New Street) as I went on it coming from Bristol to Birmingham. Saves the Voyager reversing if heading for Crewe / Manchester.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 20:10:26 »

All the Manchester - Bristol services are booked that way.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 22:14:51 »

Really? I thought it was a freight only line.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 08:03:06 »

Not at all. Passenger trains have used it for years.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:00 »

Do Wrexham and Shropshire ever go through New Street? I thought they went around.

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) know the Camp Hill freight line (alternate route from Barnt Green / Kings Norton to New Street) as I went on it coming from Bristol to Birmingham. Saves the Voyager reversing if heading for Crewe / Manchester.

Re Wrexham and Shropshire 10:17 Marylebone booked through New Street non stop and onto Tame Bridge Parkway via Soho loop and round to Wolverhampton.

W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) drivers also know Stour Valley direct Wolverhampton New Street and Tame Bridge Parkway direct to Birmingham International. They also know Shrewsbury Crewe and are learning Crewe Wolverhampton via Stafford the latter two for maintenance moves.

Re Camp Hill line even BR (British Rail(ways)) used it fairly reqularly for XCs booked to reverse at New Street mainly Midland  Derby line to South East via Coventry or Solihull using the Lifford curve. Especialy on summer Saturdays. WCML (West Coast Main Line) to SE often used to change locos at Coventry southbound rather than New Street. It caught me out one time when we shot out of New Street I thought this "duff" is getting a move on. Only to find at Coventry it was still the 86 that bought the train from Manchester.  Now of course they are Voyagers running diesel under the wires!

Interesting Manchester Bristols booked that way do they do it both ways?

Re Exeter Yeovil Cary how do drivers keep up route knowledge if there are no booked services?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: