Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:36 Liskeard to Looe
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:08 Looe to Liskeard
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:36 Liskeard to Looe
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:39:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: HST stabling at Worcester  (Read 30378 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 22:25:11 »

ummmmm.....you live next to a railway line, you will hear trains, GET USED TO IT!!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 22:58:11 »

Yes, but I think it's unreasonable to leave a stationary train with engine running next to houses all night. You often see notices telling freight drivers to switch off when stationary, so the precent is there that it can cause disturbance.

But in general I do agree with the principle that if you live next to a railway you should expect noise of passing trains, especially if the railway was there before you.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 23:17:10 »

Have to say - im on the side of the residents

Passing through trains ok - constant rumbling all night which we all know is a new thing in the last several months!

If they stop it - makes my options limited but I wouldnt be surprised if they do

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 01:16:19 »

As there is no shore supply at this location, how is the train supposed to be cleaned, kept secure and all the auxillary equipment keep running?.....you cant just jump into a train start it up and off you go.. it dont work like that.......it could always run  ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) To and from  the Marsh and burn a few more hundred gallons of fuel

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 01:19:57 »

We could all see this one coming a mile off. It's been happening since the December t/t change, but now summer's here and people are starting to open their windows at night...

I do feel sorry for the residents, too. It is quite a racket going all night long, bearing in mind the one power car left on is also providing the ETH and therefore working harder than a normal idling engine. The houses aren't right next to the tracks, but the noise carries in the dead of night. Two possible solutions; 1) Shore supply is fitted in the siding concerned, or 2) The HST (High Speed Train) stables in the platform for the night (which has already happened on occasions).

I would bet on it being option 2, as it doesn't cost any money and freight trains can be routed round the train if needed. If stabled in the station and the far power car is left running there's nothing much except industrial units - I dare say you would still be able to hear it from the nearest houses if you strained your ears, but at an acceptable level, and with the depot in close proximity running engines are the norm through the night.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 08:24:06 »

I seem to recollect - about 50 years ago  - one of the foremost arguments for getting rid of steam was the fact that with a diesel or electric loco you could just "turn a key" or "press a button" and you were off. No more would we require hordes of men working through the night preparing the locos for the forthcoming days work.
Do we really now have locos that require the engines to be kept running all the time ? At least with steam locos they did allow the fires to go out now and again !
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 08:59:53 »

Doesn't it rather make a mokery of First's supposed environmental crudentials leaving an engine running all night?

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 09:31:02 »

Put in a shore supply. It's only money and it solves all the problems.

It's called attention to detail.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 10:08:17 »

Doesn't it rather make a mokery of First's supposed environmental crudentials leaving an engine running all night?

Andrew Griffiths was FGW (First Great Western)'s head of environmental stuff.  He lost his job through redundancy at the end of March.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:55 »

FGW (First Great Western) could always use a turbo instead and hear the backlash......and for people to actually think or imply the railway is no longer a 24hr a day operation is well rather silly and quite frankly an insult to the staff who work through the night to service and prep the trains, who clean up the bloody mess left by inconsiderate passengers, repair the damage caused by  the TAZ 09 graffitti brigade, who ferry drive and shunt throughout the night.
It could be worse you could have the Network Rail HOBC (High Output Ballast Cleaner) Train outside your bedroom window for a week
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:40:57 by dog box » Logged

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 10:43:08 »

it is a condition of the warranty of the MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engines that they must be kept warm at all times.  Either by keeping one engine running or plugged into the mains. (Called shore supply)

As there is no shore supply at worcester then if you want to kepp an HST (High Speed Train) at Worcester then your only option is to keep the engine running.

Putting in a shore supply is quite expensive Grin
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 12:04:39 »

Putting in a shore supply is quite expensive Grin

I don't suppose it costs more than the total value of ticket sales on one peak-time HST (High Speed Train).  And a shore supply would save fuel costs and possibly staffing costs (I assume that if the engine is left running, a driver, engineer or someone with at least the knowledge to shut the engine down if something goes wrong or bursts into flames has to be near the train at all times?)

There is a difference between passing train noise and the occassional short term distrubance caused by engineering work or a rail grinder (which most people will put up with as a reasonable part of living near a railway line) and the chronic noise of an engine running night after night which is only taking place because the TOC (Train Operating Company) wants to save a few thousand pounds on a shore supply.

By analogy, I'd be tolerant of my neighbours having a noisy party on the occasional night or having a week of demolition work as part of living in a city, but if it went on for months I would complain.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 12:16:11 »

Doing some maths: With an MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine costing about ^1 a minute in fuel to idle (which is a quoted statistic) for roughly 4 hours a night, 5 nights a week, adds up to over ^60000 per annum in lost fuel costs alone.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 12:23:29 »

Ok Flamingo, but therefore there wont be no early morning cotswold line service to London for the commuters.

Cant win!!

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 14:30:26 »

Doing some maths: With an MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine costing about ^1 a minute in fuel to idle (which is a quoted statistic) for roughly 4 hours a night, 5 nights a week, adds up to over ^60000 per annum in lost fuel costs alone.

"shorely" a shore supply can't cost more than ^60 grand (now where did I put that coat?)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: