I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:14:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawlish Avoiding Line - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 157307 times)
FlyingDutchman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 16:27:48 »

Thanks

Guy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 17:37:32 »

Won't Dawlish Warren be where the line is breached first?

Therefore, the branch will be Newton Abbot to  Dawlish and no branch South along the river from Exemouth.

If Bere Alston Tavistock is a goer then Okehampton Tavistock is the obvious first route to cope with the first problems of the seawall. Hopefully someone DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) Devon CC et al is safeguarding the route from development.

Has any of it been given to Sustrans because that could be a major problem with their instance of a cycle way by the railway?

Then the  inland route from Exeter to Newton Abbot.

Part of the route is a cyclepath [the Granite way] between Meldon viaduct and Lydford,with a couple of diversions due to landowner objections.After Lydford,the route is pretty much clear [but overgrown] as far as the outskirts of Tavistock,where it once more becomes a cyclepath,then some encroachment has taken place on the trackbed from gardens and infill in Tavistock itself.Nothing serious though,if the powers that be were to decide that the line needed to be reopened,then the civil engineering would not be a major problem [leaving out Meldon viaduct strengthening],only a bridge or two missing or filled in on the entire route.Don't think sustrans would have much say in the matter if the scheme was backed by DCC» (Devon County Council - website) or government,could be a fair while yet,though,before that happens.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 21:31:36 »

Not sure now politically acceptable it would be to cut cornwall off from therail network.

i suspect that in reality the Dawlish route will continue to be used for many years even when it starts being closd more frequntly for high water and/or subsequnt repairs.  We dn't do future planning very well in the country.
Sounds about right to me,I suspect that the powers that be are working on the basis of the probability that a major breach or breachs occuring will be far enough in the future that A-it wont be their problem and B-the hope that ultimately there wont be a need for rail link west of Exeter to Plymouth and Cornwall as aviation develops in the 21st century. 
Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 20:41:47 »

Not sure now politically acceptable it would be to cut cornwall off from therail network.

i suspect that in reality the Dawlish route will continue to be used for many years even when it starts being closd more frequntly for high water and/or subsequnt repairs.  We dn't do future planning very well in the country.
Sounds about right to me,I suspect that the powers that be are working on the basis of the probability that a major breach or breachs occuring will be far enough in the future that A-it wont be their problem and B-the hope that ultimately there wont be a need for rail link west of Exeter to Plymouth and Cornwall as aviation develops in the 21st century. 

With climate change and peak oil, aviation will be on its way out.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:28 »

The CPRE (Campaign to Protect Rural England) have called for a feasibility study into the possible reopening of Okehampton to Bere Alston;

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/reopen-old-train-line-Plymouth-Exeter/article-1853293-detail/article.html

Not very good at links but if it doesn't work,google This is Plymouth,Western Morning News.I don't know how much influence the CPRE have got,but it can't harm any chance of a possible reopening,i guess.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 14:03:10 »

With climate change and peak oil, aviation will be on its way out.

I wouldn't bet on that. There's plans afoot to resurrect the airship - something I've often thought would be ideally suited to short-haul flights from the UK (United Kingdom):

11 November 2009
Electronics Newsweekly
^ Copyright 2009 Electronics Newsweekly via NewsRx.com 

(VerticalNews.com) -- "In a previous work it has been demonstrated that solar radiation intercepted by an unconventional airship is sufficient for all energetic needs for civil uses, namely broadcasting and telecommunications. This article analyses the energetic feasibility of an airship, named PSICHE (acronym for 'photovoltaic stratospheric isle for conversion in hydrogen as energy vector')," investigators in Italy report.

"It demonstrates the economic and industrial feasibility of high altitude production of electrolytic hydrogen fed by a photovoltaic plant. The most important aspects connected with high quote and hydrogen and oxygen production are discussed," wrote A. Dumas and colleagues, University of Modena.

The researchers concluded: "The advantages of this kind of hydrogen production are presented together with the environmental benefits of the system."

Dumas and colleagues published their study in Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part G - Journal of Aerospace Engineering (Photovoltaic stratospheric isle for conversion in hydrogen as energy vector. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part G - Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2009;223(G6):769-777).
danregs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:39 »

The latest update from this, if you guys haven't seen already...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8555272.stm
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 20:59:18 »

i think that last link says more about the poor build quality of the voyagers
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 21:08:25 »

.... or the lack of AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about)'s willingness to do either remedial work to the vehicles or the requisite repair work if they fail.

Dawlish does have it's difficulties yes, but they are far less than people tend to think they are.

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 21:14:08 »

says something if fgw can get there pacers threw it but axc cant i tent to agree they just cant be bothered
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 12:53:59 »

I'm sure if somebody has discovered a way of completely waterproofing the air cooled wire wound resistor banks used by the Voyager braking system, Bombardier would love to hear from you.

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 13:43:18 »

I'm sure if somebody has discovered a way of completely waterproofing the air cooled wire wound resistor banks used by the Voyager braking system, Bombardier would love to hear from you.

Paul

Would it not be possible to disconnect the resistive braking and use the good old-fashioned friction brakes when the tide is high?

Of perhaps AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) could take their HSTs (High Speed Train) out of storage and use those (or drag the Voyagers behind class 57?). 

Or radical solution, I know but if Voyagers are unsuitable for the route on which they run, then replace them with alternative stock (class 180?) and cascade the voyagers to inland long distance routes like Cardiff-Manchester.  There is only one class of train which is susceptible to salt water spray.  It is idiotic to allocate it to the only mainline route that gets regulary drenced in said spray. 

Bombardier's design is fundamentally flawed and may be difficult or impossible to fix, but I am not convinced that a sensible work-around could not be thought up if AXC could be bothered.   Cancelling the trains is too easy an option and AXC ought to be severly financially puniched when it does that. 

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 15:42:04 »

Cancelling the trains is too easy an option and AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) ought to be severly financially puniched when it does that.

Doesn't high tide count as an "Act of God" an therefore makes AXC not liable to pay compensation when they can't run their voyagers along the sea wall.

Also technically isn't Networkrail responsible for allowing seawater to spray the tracks in the first palce?

Something for the "bean counters" and "legal leeches" to sort out at great cost.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 16:19:08 »

The way I see it, FGW (First Great Western) operate trains past the section without issue thus it is the fault of Cross Country. If they can't find a work around to the issue they need to sort out as its not the passengers problems especially when they dump you at a freezing cold train station waiting for the next FGW service meaning you get home late etc  Angry

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 20:51:09 »

It's basically the same as building a train with a paper roof and saying it can't run in the rain
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: