Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:41:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawlish Avoiding Line - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 157322 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 14, 2014, 09:43:51 »

So a station closed, trains delayed and cancelled and it's still only November.

Network Rail seem very bullish about the situation, so I hope for their sakes they don't repeat their "the seawall is good for another 25 years" clanger a few short months prior to the collapse. Strange how that was quickly forgotten...

Mother nature generally doesn't run to a timetable, [insert LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) timetable joke/grumble here]... The fact is the line has been continually open to traffic.  Minor delays due to the rail conditions yes, but the only cancellations are down to voyagers being rubbish, which is not NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s problem (unless one gets stuck!)

Short of building a fortress around Dawlish station, there is nothing NR can do to stop waves crashing over and making it temporarily dangerous to the public to keep open.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #361 on: November 14, 2014, 10:13:48 »

Going off on a slight tangent, there's a video on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30040238 showing the spray/waves at a height above the train in the pictures, with a person apparently riding a bike along the footpath! Brave or foolish, you decide!

And if that tw*t got washed into the sea, they'd expect the lifeboat men to put their lives at risk. Something they ought to be forced to pay for if needed (as it was obvious what a likely outcome was)
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 14, 2014, 15:43:37 »

Network Rail seem very bullish about the situation, so I hope for their sakes they don't repeat their "the seawall is good for another 25 years" clanger a few short months prior to the collapse. Strange how that was quickly forgotten...

Please don't exaggerate the issue. I commuted both ways yesterday. It was windy, sure, and a fair amount of water was flying all over the place, but it all added up to a whopping three minute delay in either direction.

If you want things to be better for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), then perhaps you should encourage 'em to use their HST (High Speed Train)'s down here in the winter, seeing as the Voyagers are doing a damn good impression of having aquagenic pruritis.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 14, 2014, 18:02:49 »

If you want things to be better for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), then perhaps you should encourage 'em to use their HST (High Speed Train)'s down here in the winter, seeing as the Voyagers are doing a damn good impression of having aquagenic pruritis.

One of the scheduled HSTs was also caped at Exeter yesterday, then started back north from there. I agree that they should have more than two HST sets out, but it's difficult for CrossCountry to have sufficient advance notice of adverse weather to have the other sets primed and ready. They are stabled at Leeds.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 15, 2014, 14:35:14 »

Please don't exaggerate the issue. I commuted both ways yesterday. It was windy, sure, and a fair amount of water was flying all over the place, but it all added up to a whopping three minute delay in either direction.

How is stating the fact that Dawlish Station had to close and XC services curtailed "exaggerating" the facts?
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 03, 2014, 08:53:51 »

Might the re-opening be a little nearer (or will it be a lot of talk only...)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30292756

Quote from today's Government National Infrastructure Plan - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/381884/2902895_NationalInfrastructurePlan2014_acc.pdf

Dawlish rail services ^ the government will support Network Rail in its work to improve the resilience of the railway at Dawlish. Additionally, it will ask Network Rail to examine wider issues surrounding connectivity to and within the South West peninsula. Specifically, Network Rail will consider alternatives to the current mainline route to the South West via Dawlish, including an alternative route via the north side of Dartmoor through Okehampton. This work will feed into Network Rail^s Initial Industry Plan for Control Period 6 (2019-2024)

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:10 »

We'll just have to wait and see,i suppose. Disappointing to see the words "feasibility study", much rather have seen the colour of some money, as is apparently being provided for the A303 upgrade. Plenty of feasibility studies in the past have ended up as dust gatherers in departmental archive stores but maybe that's just the gnarled old cynic in me coming to the fore. Certainly it would seem as if the Okehampton route is in pole position now compared to the other options, which was always the favoured way to go for me but there is this nagging feeling inside me that in 10 years time there will be a new thread starting on here-"Suggestions for an alternative Dawlish line"! Grin Hopefully i'm wrong though.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #367 on: December 03, 2014, 10:33:40 »

All depends on what the detailed study throws up in the way of a Business case....If Okehampton really is too pricey, my thinking is that they'll do further studies to get best value from one of the 5 options
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #368 on: December 03, 2014, 17:31:28 »

... in 10 years time there will be a new thread starting on here-"Suggestions for an alternative Dawlish line"! Grin Hopefully i'm wrong though.

Indeed: if there is, I shall simply merge it with this existing one.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #369 on: December 03, 2014, 18:43:21 »

I  think this thread will still be going strong in 10 years time.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #370 on: December 03, 2014, 18:52:41 »

I  think this thread will still be going strong in 10 years time.

But will this forum??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 03, 2014, 19:43:07 »

In addition to the promised "study", I hope we'll see some tangible evidence concerning  the viability of a second route to Plymouth north of Dartmoor based on regular services between Okehampton & Exeter, and Tavistock & Plymouth. If these local services prove to be a success, it would strengthen the argument for reinstating the missing link.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2014, 08:28:01 »

It isn't just the Okehampton route that needs looking at. I seem to remember a cross party report going to the government regarding upgrading the alternative route to Exeter via Castle Cary & Honiton. I naively thought there might have been some mention of that in the Chancellor's statement.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #373 on: December 04, 2014, 09:34:01 »

The money is going to the A303 rather than double tracking from Castle Cary throughout to Pinhoe.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 04, 2014, 15:43:59 »

As a motorist I cannot deny the A303 sorely needs upgrading, but the rail route via Honiton does too. Maybe one day someone will provide some relief. In the meanwhile let us hope the Network Rail solution at Cowley Bridge means no more flooding of the main line to Taunton
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: