Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:27:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawlish Avoiding Line - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 158604 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2014, 17:17:20 »

Yes - GWR (Great Western Railway) station was at Mary Tavy and Blackdown, a few miles down the valley and not very close to either.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2014, 17:17:24 »

Not good news;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-26260053
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2014, 22:01:21 »

"The predicted date for the work to be completed comes just ahead of the Easter Bank Holiday. Good Friday falls on 18 April but the company said it hoped to "beat" its date."

Presumably so it can shut the line on schedule for engineering works?

Now, please!
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2014, 09:12:23 »

Is it wrong to assume that the majority of passengers that were planning to travel over this route for Easter Weekend would have aimed to book tickets some 8-12 weeks before to take advantage of more affordable prices? - given that we're in that period now, how many will continue to do so given the uncertainty of it actually opening on time? I'd expect more people would be opting for the bus as either way it'll be cheaper and far more likely to run.

My point being that even if they do get it open 'in time for Easter', it'll still be too late for a good proportion of those that wanted to travel, unless some serious concessions are being offered.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2014, 09:46:40 »

Too early to say - FGW (First Great Western) have made some serious concessions already, and will definitely want to attract customers as soon as NR» (Network Rail - home page) can be more definite about a finish date - so it really won't surprise me to see some silly priced Advances as soon as that date is more confident.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:21 »

Is it wrong to assume that the majority of passengers that were planning to travel over this route for Easter Weekend would have aimed to book tickets some 8-12 weeks before to take advantage of more affordable prices?

Yes, I'm afraid the assumption is wrong.   I recall some figures for the proportion of journeys made on various ticket types, and advance fares account for only around 15% of journeys.  We hear a lot about those fares on the forum because (a) we're cheapskates here and want to save money and (b) these fares are used by people who just make occasional journeys and so they get a lot of publicity / talk per journey.

However ... I think many people do plan ahead on off-peak / superoffpeak tickets and will buy / book / plan ahead, and it's fair to assume, I'm afraid, that a proportion of them will not risk planning to go by train when it could turn out to be train - bus - train.   We know from local research that only a small minority of people transfer from a train to a bus service when it's substituted, unless they have no choice.

My point being that even if they do get it open 'in time for Easter', it'll still be too late for a good proportion of those that wanted to travel, unless some serious concessions are being offered.

So, therefore, I am agreeing with your conclusion Grin Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2014, 19:12:17 »

Moderator note: Subsequent silliness has been diverted to another topic. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13623.0

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2014, 11:45:47 »

Network Rail document (via BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)) discussing storm damage at Dawlish, works to date and proposals for increased future resilience by considering alternative routes (of which there are 5!)

News Article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26349928

Document:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/26_02_14_dawlish_jmo.pdf
exeterkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2014, 12:09:26 »

It looks like Network Rail have copyied an old Railway Atlas of the area

Option A Indland Route Via Okehampton and Tavistock (LSWR (London South Western Railway) Route)
Option B Marsh Barton to Heathfield Route (GWR (Great Western Railway) Teign Valley Line)

Dawlish Avoiding Line proposed  in 1930's by the Government of the time and GWR
Option C1 ((on coaches) National route restriction) Exminter (DAL Route)
Option C2 Powderham Castle ( DAL Route)
Option C3 Dawlish Warren  (DAL Route)

Guy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:58:22 by exeterkiwi » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2014, 12:23:16 »

Barring the kind of seismic activity that hasn't been seen for a few million years, and assuming that most major towns and cities stay more or less still, and that we want any new route to connect in to the existing network, then it stands to reason that the options will involve re-using old corridors or options.

On the face of it ^700 million to re-open the Okehampton route seems like rather a lot though; it is more per mile (even assuming we're talking the whole 50 miles) than the Borders Railway. This seems odd considering that half the route has track on it, which hopefully means that some sort of maintenance is being done to the infrastructure...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2014, 13:09:16 »

On the face of it ^700 million to re-open the Okehampton route seems like rather a lot though; it is more per mile (even assuming we're talking the whole 50 miles) than the Borders Railway. This seems odd considering that half the route has track on it, which hopefully means that some sort of maintenance is being done to the infrastructure...
I agree - ^700M seems a staggering amount of money for this.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2014, 14:39:23 »

^700m wow, that's a lot. Figures designed to be off putting?.

My preference is A followed by B.
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2014, 14:45:40 »

At the moment it's only an estimated cost and it's from ^500m to ^700m - until a full survey is completed who knows for sure what will be uncovered - there are a lot of factors to take into consideration, ranging from the condition of surviving structures, to land ownership and CPO's.
I'd certainly be wary of underestimating at this very early stage!
exeterkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2014, 15:34:14 »

If one of the option that doesn't go via Okehampton is chosen it should be made a priority to re-open the branch line to Okehampton to passenger traffic.

Guy

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2014, 15:38:38 »

Very sensible to start of by looking at previous schemes.  However, they're all based on routes over 60 years old, and in that time technology has move forward, and that could make a difference.  

As an example, a gradient of 1 in 38 (Dainton) used to be regarded as the limit, or near to it. Lickey is 1 in 37, and Wikipedia claims "The Lickey Incline is the steepest sustained adhesion-worked gradient on a British standard gauge railway".  But Wikipedia is wrong, I think; there are gradients on 1 in 28 on the line from St. Pancras to Ebbsfleet.

As another example, has the relative cost of building a line across marshland, through a soft rock tunnel, and across a high bridge changed?

So it would probably be a sensible idea for an engineer / surveyor to take a quick look / sanity check to see if there are extra alternatives at least to take a brief look at.    For all I know, this may have been done already before the old routes and proposals were listed as the options - I hope it has!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: