Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:47:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawlish Avoiding Line - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 157303 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2014, 15:56:26 »

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Rail has recently had a multi-billion ^ spent on it, including electrification projects. This spend is the roads equivalent - rail has had its share.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2014, 16:00:58 »

Ah, but think how much has been chronically  under invested in rail at the expense of massive road building schemes over the last 20 years. I think that even with the projected spending on rail it makes little different to what has been a glaring lack of balance between road and rail.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #377 on: December 04, 2014, 16:06:18 »

really?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 04, 2014, 16:19:32 »

Ah, but think how much has been chronically  under invested in rail at the expense of massive road building schemes over the last 20 years. I think that even with the projected spending on rail it makes little different to what has been a glaring lack of balance between road and rail.

Shall we call that 50 years?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
DavidBrown

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2014, 18:09:36 »

Over 50 years, then yes - there was massive investment in the roads in the 60s and 70s whilst rail was in terminal decline. But over the past 20? Quite the opposite. There's been very, very few new roads with only a handful of mostly minor schemes in each county. Whilst rail hasn't had the infrastructure investment, there's definitely been massive progress in terms of electrification, rolling stock, service frequency, fares and the upkeep of stations.

The problem is that lots of people think that we only need one or the other. That is simply not the case. We need rail investment AND road investment. The A303/A30 dualling is of huge benefit to the south west, in the same way that investment in the mainline to Devon and Cornwall would be. And there's also the possibility that investing in roads can benefit the railways. More people will come on holiday here. Many of them will decide to have a day out by train to the nearest city, or preserved railway.

What makes me laugh are people who suggest that money should be invested in cycling facilities instead.
1 - NOBODY will go on holiday from London to the South West by bicycle. Thus ZERO benefit to our economy.
2 - Cyclists just don't use facilities provided for them anyway. No point buying them something they're not going to use.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #380 on: December 04, 2014, 18:18:34 »

That's the point I was making - Rail has had/is still getting ^billions in electrification/IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) & other stock etc...this road spend is their equivalent. No point in calling for even more rail....
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2014, 19:11:59 »

Over 50 years, then yes - there was massive investment in the roads in the 60s and 70s whilst rail was in terminal decline. But over the past 20? Quite the opposite. There's been very, very few new roads with only a handful of mostly minor schemes in each county. Whilst rail hasn't had the infrastructure investment, there's definitely been massive progress in terms of electrification, rolling stock, service frequency, fares and the upkeep of stations.

The problem is that lots of people think that we only need one or the other. That is simply not the case. We need rail investment AND road investment. The A303/A30 dualling is of huge benefit to the south west, in the same way that investment in the mainline to Devon and Cornwall would be. And there's also the possibility that investing in roads can benefit the railways. More people will come on holiday here. Many of them will decide to have a day out by train to the nearest city, or preserved railway.

What makes me laugh are people who suggest that money should be invested in cycling facilities instead.
1 - NOBODY will go on holiday from London to the South West by bicycle. Thus ZERO benefit to our economy.
2 - Cyclists just don't use facilities provided for them anyway. No point buying them something they're not going to use.

Obviously rail is getting a lot of investment at the moment, but a huge portion of that is simply repaying the massive 'technology debt' - the cost of not keeping systems up to date over many decades. Electrification is fantastically good news, but it should have been done 40 or 50 years ago. And whilst clockwork signalling adds interest to the railway, it is absurd that such systems exist outside of museums.

During the last fifty years, or the last twenty come to that, I cannot think of any cases where trunk roads have been reduced in width just to save money, despite the known operating problems it would cause. We may not have built many roads in the last twenty years, but the roads have been maintained properly and enhanced. There is no technology debt here! So if investment seems skewed towards rail at the moment, that's simply because it needs to be if we're serious about having a modern railway.

As DavidBrown's anti-cyclist comments - I won't rise to his bait..!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 04, 2014, 19:26:29 »

With precisely no one on this thread mentioning investment for cycling facilities.

That said, as you've shown you've an axe to grind raised the issue, if it's not an issue of having investment for one or the other, then why not road and rail and cycling?

Of course no one will cycle from London to the south west, but they may very well take bicycles with them. Plenty of roof racks with bikes on to be seen on the roads in the summer. So why not investment in cycling facilities for when they get there?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2014, 19:41:44 »

That said, as you've shown you've an axe to grind raised the issue, if it's not an issue of having investment for one or the other, then why not road and rail and cycling?

Compare the cycle racks at Temple Meads now with a few years ago, you will see the growth in people cycling to the station. A few years ago, Bristol City Council fitted cycle racks on strategic corners around the city. They stood empty for months, if not a couple of years, but try and find space now.

Now, please!
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 04, 2014, 19:57:50 »

And there's also the possibility that investing in roads can benefit the railways. More people will come on holiday here

For me, its very remoteness is a great attraction of Cornwall. It still possesses some relatively unspoilt places and the sense of distance from the daily grind is uplifting.
Yes, I expect more people will come to the coastal car parks at the end of the dual carriageways. The tills will ring. Whether or not the underpaid inhabitants benefit after the second-home balance has shifted against their favour is moot.

But there are losses that GVA doesn't measure.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2014, 20:13:41 »

If I lived in a flatter city I'd get out more on my bike. Although I have this past year used dedicated cycle facilities next to major roads to get to both Portishead and Chepstow. Avonmouth Bridge (M5) and Severn Bridge (M48). To think, during the widening of the former consideration was given to removing the footpath/cycleway. Glad that idea never took hold.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 04, 2014, 21:00:31 »

If I lived in a flatter city I'd get out more on my bike. Although I have this past year used dedicated cycle facilities next to major roads to get to both Portishead and Chepstow. Avonmouth Bridge (M5) and Severn Bridge (M48). To think, during the widening of the former consideration was given to removing the footpath/cycleway. Glad that idea never took hold.

If you're happy cycling over the M5 and M48 bridges BNM, particularly if you've done it against a headwind, then there aren't many hills in Bristol that'd beat you.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 04, 2014, 21:11:00 »

Part cycling, part walking.  Wink

Up slope, get off and push. On the flat, pedal. Down slope, wheeeeeee!!!  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 04, 2014, 21:44:13 »

Not sure that I would make it the the Blaise end of Long Cross

Now, please!
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 30, 2015, 10:38:28 »

More bluster.....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-31042325

David Cameron says Okehampton railway line is 'most resilient'

The prime minister has backed a new Okehampton railway route as the "most resilient" alternative to the vulnerable Dawlish line in Devon.

A line from Okehampton to Plymouth via Tavistock would go through parts of Dartmoor National Park and cost hundreds of millions of pounds.

David Cameron told BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Spotlight the UK (United Kingdom) was "a wealthy country" that should be making long-term investments in rail.

The Dawlish line connects Plymouth and Cornwall to the rest of the UK.

The BBC discovered last year that Network Rail was looking at an additional inland alternative to the Dawlish line that was closed by storms in 2014.

'Spend some money'
Mr Cameron said the Okehampton line was "worth a long, hard look".

Asked if the Okehampton line was "top of the list" of alternatives to Dawlish, Mr Cameron replied: "That is the one people say could make the most resilient line.

"But we've obviously got to look at resilience, we've got to look at value for money, we've got to look at what is practical."

Mr Cameron said he was "not put off" by the cost of the scheme, which would serve as a back-up route in case of problems at Dawlish.

He said: "These things do cost money but if you want a resilient railway line, you have to spend some money."

Tudor Evans, Labour leader of Plymouth City Council, said he was "puzzled" by the prime minister's comments.

He said: "The region is working with the Department for Transport on assessing the south west plan for future-proofing the railway.

"If the Dawlish line went down, or if the cliffs collapsed, the prime minister is suggesting that traffic would need to be diverted via Okehampton - adding to the journey time to London and removing the railway from most of the passengers in the south of the county."
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: