Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:59:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Avon Valley Railway - heritage line, Bristol  (Read 22583 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 18:25:51 »

I think I can make the effort to pop along. Might even walk from Central Bristol.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 06:30:49 »

Much appreciated...although that's a bleedin' long walk from the centre of town!

Will update here once I have seen the roster and know what duties I'm doing over the weekend...
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 20:10:19 »

An update on the planned festivities, posted by one of my colleagues on another forum, with a few more details about what's planned:

After last year^s successful gala with the N2, we^ve decided to push the boat out. This will be for the first time in several years, that we have ran a two day event and to make it extra special, we have decided to hire ex-resident Black 5 45379 from the Mid Hants Railway. This will be the first time this loco has left its home base since returning to traffic last year.

Running alongside the Black 5 will be RSH 7151 and TKH 4015 (providing the repairs to it^s main steam pipe are completed in time). If 4015 is unavailable then Llangollen^s Hunslet saddle tank 1837 ^ Jessie^, will substitute.

Along with this, subject to being able to pay all the Transport Costs etc prior to the event, then we have also got the option to hire Jinty 47406 from Loughborough to join the line up, just for the weekend.

The timetable for both days, currently still being finalised, looks to be an interesting one, with stopping and express passenger services and freight services. For the first time, we will also be running a two coach local train, around the other services.

Tickets are now available for the event, either from the station office or online. Another first is two day tickets, also available. Anybody interested can also purchase tickets from First Great Western (day tickets only) allowing travel from your home station to Keynsham, a vintage shuttle bus to Bitton and your rover ticket for the gala.

Along with its visit for the gala, the Black 5 will be used for a Pie^Pint train on the evening of the 11th, starting at 7pm and several Footplate Experience courses. These take the form of the ^Pines Express^, allowing you to drive, fire and act as guard on an express passenger train.

On the 23rd of October we will also be running a Landslip appeal event, in support of the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, the Black 5^s last scheduled operating day with us, with proceeds from this going towards the appeal. There will also be driver for a Tenner operating with on of the resident diesel loco^s during the day.

Any additional information for the gala can be found on our website at www.avonvalleyrailway.org/gala or by calling the station office on 0117 932 5538.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 22:56:59 »

Slight change in the line-up for this event, in that 47406 is no longer available but GWR (Great Western Railway) pannier 1369 has been arranged at short notice from the South Devon Railway (to whom big thanks).

If anyone wants to say "hi" (or tell me exactly what you think of me, your choice!) then I'll be overseeing operations at Oldland Common all day Saturday and the guard on one of the passenger sets on Sunday.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 23:39:22 »

If anyone wants to say "hi" (or tell me exactly what you think of me, your choice!) then I'll be overseeing operations at Oldland Common all day Saturday and the guard on one of the passenger sets on Sunday.

There is a chance I may be able to pop down on Sunday
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 23:55:08 »

Sunday is the day I plan to pop along as well. I see from the AVR Gala webpage that there are through ticketing arrangements from FGW (First Great Western) stations to Keynsham and then a dedicated bus link to the AVR. Anyone (i.e Ollie  Wink) able to check what the fares are from Temple Meads (or SVB Line) and whether railcard discounts are applicable? I've drawn a blank trying to get the information online or by 'phone.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 01:35:52 »

Blood from a stone springs to mind on this one I'm afraid! AFAIK (as far as I know) it's calculated as the appropriate rail fare to Keynsham plus the (slightly discounted) advance purchase gala fare. From memory I think that's ^9 but the bleedin' website's down at the moment so I can't confirm it, sorry...

The AVR blurb says that the through ticket can be purchased from any staffed FGW (First Great Western) station, so Ollie may be able to find out a little more. I would assume that appropriate railcard discounts apply to the National Rail portion but not the AVR portion but I wasn't involved in setting up these arrangements! It would be nice if at least a few of the tickets got sold as a 'proof of principle' for through ticketing, and I suspect it'll be a pretty rare STAR issue for someone's collection... It gets you the bus shuttle to/from Bitton as well, which is operating from the main car parking site at Somerdale.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 02:32:12 »

Will check tomorrow. Can BNM send me a text to remind me though Tongue
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 04:32:46 »

Sorry about this...I didn't expect the through ticketing arrangements to be covered by the Official Secrets Act!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 20:16:24 »

If anyone wants to say "hi" (or tell me exactly what you think of me, your choice!) ...

Hmm.  With the cancellation of the Exe Tractor Railtour, it now seems that I'll be attending this event instead.

I'll be the one carrying a traditional cast metal Bardic lamp ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 20:24:40 »

Thanks for the warning. I'll be the one trying to defend myself with the new-fangled plastic Halo Plus 2...you can bounce the white beam off the moon but it's rubbish as a weapon! Will have to make alternative arrangements.

BTW (by the way), in a brief moment when the AVR website wasn't on the p*ss this morning I managed to confirm that the advance purchase price is indeed GBP 9.00. BNM, if you still haven't had any joy finding out about the FGW (First Great Western) joint ticketing arrangements I'd suggest an email to info@avonvalleyrailway.org or a call to 0117 932 5538 - someone there should be able to help, or at least get hold of someone else who can!!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 21:36:15 »

The two visitors have now arrived...

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 22:07:31 »

Yippee! I'll be there!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 05:54:00 »

Moi aussi...assuming no medical emergencies or plane crashes, obviously. But if a BA» (British Airways - about) aircraft drops out of the sky on Monday night and you can't find me next weekend you'll know what happened  Cheesy Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 21:48:43 »

Yo tambien!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: