24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 20:58:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[198] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[114] You see all sorts on the bus.
[103] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[69] Death of another bus station?
[46] "Mayflower"
[41] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: New railway stations proposed for Cranbrook, Newcourt and Marsh Barton (merged topic)  (Read 143479 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2010, 22:56:47 »

Giving said 158 to FGW (First Great Western) would of course be more beneficial
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 13:17:30 »

Higher utilisation of the 158 fleet.

What is the current state of play on this? - ie how many extra 158's could SWT (South West Trains) put out if they really wanted to?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 13:22:25 »

would be interesting to see loading figures since the hourly service, i doubt there are treble workings now you may find the 158's being used to add capacity to these services
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 15:26:22 »

Higher utilisation of the 158 fleet.

What is the current state of play on this? - ie how many extra 158's could SWT (South West Trains) put out if they really wanted to?

I believe they have 6 or 7 of their own diagrams (since that 10 car morning service to/from Waterloo started), from 11 units, but I'm fairly sure only 3 services use 158s all day, and those are the Romsey - Salisburys.  The rest are doing peak only services.  That doesn't include the all day FGW (First Great Western) unit though, so effectively SWT have 10 units to play with, 9 if EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) still have one.

Of course the 30 159s aren't exactly the most stretched fleet in the land either.

Would be useful to see up to date official diagrams, but no-one's been putting them online recently...

Paul
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 16:31:05 »

probably enough to run to paignton and cover all fgw services,plus more to increase frequency apart from the paddington ones so that the fgw units can boost services elsewhere in the region, wont happen too complicated

personally i think the barnstaple line should be transfered to swt :-) being an old southern route
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 19:58:24 »

There is already rumour (and I stress the word RUMOUR) that FGW (First Great Western) may possibly run services to Honiton or Axminster. There has been no confirmation of this though!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 23:42:50 »

There is already rumour (and I stress the word RUMOUR) that FGW (First Great Western) may possibly run services to Honiton or Axminster. There has been no confirmation of this though!

Why on earth would FGW want to waste stock running an extra service on a line that already has an hourly service when there is the Transwilts untapped! This BETTER be a false rumour...
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 23:48:43 »

Running Barnstaple to Axminster would be quite sensible, actually.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 00:15:55 »

Why on earth would FGW want to waste stock running an extra service on a line that already has an hourly service when there is the Transwilts untapped! This BETTER be a false rumour...

Two possibilities:-

1. ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) revenue raid.
2. DCC» (Devon County Council - website) sponsor the service and an additional unit, in the same way as the additional services on the Severn Beach line are sponsored.

qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2010, 10:42:51 »

Two possibilities:-

1. ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) revenue raid.
2. DCC» (Devon County Council - website) sponsor the service and an additional unit, in the same way as the additional services on the Severn Beach line are sponsored.

The RUMOUR that I heard was that FGW train crews would work Honiton / Axminster shuttles under contract to SWT (South West Trains)

Feckham

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 10:58:03 »

Running Barnstaple to Axminster would be quite sensible, actually.

Ideal if it were ever to happen and Cranbrook open - Exeter Airport anyone!
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 11:15:54 »

How far would the Cranbrook stop be from the airport?

Also, how about an occasional Okehampton to Axminster service, an East-West service to complement the North-South Barnstaple-Exmouth route?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 16:52:41 »

How far would the Cranbrook stop be from the airport?

About 2 miles by road, I reckon. Unfortunately the airport buildings are on the south of the airfield, alongside the new A30.  The station site is due north of there, but the road has to go right round the houses...

Paul   
FlyingDutchman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2010, 21:58:38 »

At one stage there was talk about building a new terminal on the opposite side of the airport. on the old A30
Whippo

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 10:04:33 »

-Terminal on opposite side of airport has been proposed along with a freight terminal- don't know if it's anything to do with the rail terminal, point is, none of this is going to happen until the new roads/infrastructure for Cranbrook are in place and that looks like being on hold indefinately at the mo. If this does happen then the proposed new station would be less than a mile from the airport terminal, which is good. As far as half hr service  Axminster - Exeter goes, SWT (South West Trains) have seen steady repatriation of the W of E line but the service locally has now been compromised by the new timetable due to pathing for the 'dynamic loop' at Axminster meaning Whimple, Feniton and Pinhoe see a poorer service from the investment at Axminster and this is where things go against DCC» (Devon County Council - website) plans to get people back on trains. Lets hope that when a new franchise plan is drawn up that the reinstatement of double track between Pinhoe and (at least) Whimple is proposed which will cater for new freight traffic and pathing of passenger services (especially late ones) between Cranbrook and pinhoe,  provide improved service to the local community, and not just another cheap 'dynamic loop' that will move the problems somewhere else (if the proposed one at whimple goes ahead they may as well go the 'whole hog' to exeter and be done with it!) That would be sensible investment. I've also heard that FGW (First Great Western) could be providing the service but its all early days and i imagine it's to do with stock availiability, but it's feasible (WR units used to provide a exeter-axminster in the 80s under NSE (Network South East)) Perhaps Exeter -Yeovil Pen Mill anyone??!!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: