08:55 Paignton to London Paddington
09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 12:26:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[296] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[235] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[56] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[39] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[35] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[17] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: New railway stations proposed for Cranbrook, Newcourt and Marsh Barton (merged topic)  (Read 143380 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2015, 23:16:16 »

Phil, I saw an Exeter express and Echo article a few weeks back giving an opening date of October. Can't remember any more than that.

Every service between Friday night and Sunday night is calling according to real time trains, and then nothing for the rest of the month.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 23:22:22 by richwarwicker » Logged

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2015, 00:07:50 »

Think you will need to step off smartly as the train passes through at 85mph! I have seen mentions before of Cranbrook on Journey Check so I conclude that the programmed times for Cranbrook are normally hidden from public view for the time being.

There are engineering works in connection with Cranbrook on Sunday 4 October. Perhaps these are to deal with the signalling issue (the station falls between a strike point for lowering the barriers and the level crossing - possibly a new switch at Basingstoke is required to differentiate between through and stopping trains as already exists at Crewkerne to enable the barriers to operate at the correct time?).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2015, 17:49:23 »

Think you will need to step off smartly as the train passes through at 85mph! I have seen mentions before of Cranbrook on Journey Check so I conclude that the programmed times for Cranbrook are normally hidden from public view for the time being.

I did hear that as well, that the Cranbrook calls were timed and inserted in the WTT (Working Time-Table) a few timetable periods ago, but are suppressed for public display on screens and things,   I think it all coincided with some rationalisation of the normal calling patterns at Whimple and Feniton, whenever that was...

The Cranbrook timings are listed in the current pdf version, shown in green.   The note at the end appears somewhat optimistic:  http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/ptt20may2015.pdf

Paul
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2015, 21:04:21 »

Phil, I saw an Exeter express and Echo article a few weeks back giving an opening date of October. Can't remember any more than that.

Every service between Friday night and Sunday night is calling according to real time trains, and then nothing for the rest of the month.

Checking RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) again omits Cranbrook until Monday, 12th October when it appears once again as a stop for every service - so, I guess that opening day is currently planned for Monday, 12th October.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2015, 13:53:48 »

I've just been speaking to a friend who has recently moved to Cranbrook and, apparently, the latest anecdotal evidence regarding the opening of Cranbrook station is that "it has been delayed because somebody forgot to install a telephone line for the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)Cheesy   

The latest guesstimate is 14th December.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2015, 17:13:57 »

Is that possibly the same chump who apparently forgot to install a telephone line at Melksham for their new ticket vending machine ... ?  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2015, 17:27:45 »

Is that possibly the same chump who apparently forgot to install a telephone line at Melksham for their new ticket vending machine ... ?  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Fortunately didn't stop Melksham being used though. Is there any reason why passengers couldn't buy on board in the interim?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2015, 18:30:38 »

You mean that bloke Openreach?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2015, 19:15:42 »

Fortunately didn't stop Melksham being used though. Is there any reason why passengers couldn't buy on board in the interim?

Whilst I am sure that would be possible, I think it would be more of a PR (Public Relations) disaster if the station were allowed to open with no ticketing facilities. The bulk of travellers from Cranbrook would probably be heading west to Exeter and if you believe local publicity hype, then this will number in the hundreds  Shocked and the TM(resolve) would probably claim not to have time to do any ticketing checks- leaving queues at the EXC barriers.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2015, 20:10:09 »

I've just been speaking to a friend who has recently moved to Cranbrook and, apparently, the latest anecdotal evidence regarding the opening of Cranbrook station is that "it has been delayed because somebody forgot to install a telephone line for the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)Cheesy   

The latest guesstimate is 14th December.

Just also heard that Cranbrook is exclusively fibre optic telephone cabling, but the TVM (and local Post Office for that matter) apparently requires copper wire. So they now have to dig a trench and lay a copper cable that will be at least one mile in length. Oops  Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2015, 20:16:54 »

... a copper cable that will be at least one mile in length.

Well worth nicking, then.

Sorry: did I say that out loud??  Shocked Roll Eyes Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2015, 20:47:00 »

... a copper cable that will be at least one mile in length.

Well worth nicking, then.

Sorry: did I say that out loud??  Shocked Roll Eyes Lips sealed

I have pliers, but don't worry

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2015, 22:28:24 »

It's official - Cranbrook station opens on Sunday, 13th December  Smiley

From the Exeter Express and Echo
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2016, 22:02:37 »

Cranbrook station open some two years behind schedule, now the new station at Marsh Barton, Exeter could still be some way off......

From the Exeter Express and Echo
Work stalled on ^7m new Exeter railway station at Marsh Barton

An artists' impression of the proposed new railway station at Marsh Barton

Bricks and tracks are yet to be laid at Marsh Barton ^7.4m train station ^ despite the scheme being approved last July.
Following recent site clearance works, Devon County Council is said to still be working on the detailed designs for the two-platform station.

A spokesman for Devon County Council has said they are working ^closely^ with Network Rail to pin down a timetable for the construction of the new city rail link.

A meeting is set to be held between the two parties in the coming weeks, and further updates on the scheme^s process are expected in due course.

The new railway halt will eventually serve thousands of staff who work at the city^s largest employment site.
It is hoped it will help to ease congestion in the area.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2016, 22:27:13 »

One fears that the delays on the Filton Bank 4 tracking, in part at least caused by lack of mapping and recording of underground utilities (now having to be found and uncovered by spadework) will blight this new station too. Old works done "on the cheap" all those years back are having their payback time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: