Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:36:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: New railway stations proposed for Cranbrook, Newcourt and Marsh Barton (merged topic)  (Read 142906 times)
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 10:51:49 »

Yes, 'Plymothian' is quite right - there is a track - one might call it a long siding - stretching right through the Marsh Barton area almost to Sainsbury's. The track bed beyond the existing track to Sainsbury's (just a couple of hundred yards) is still unimpeded so in theory one could end the line there, hence having passengers shopping there on foot instead of by car (ha ha - will wonders never cease?) and perhaps more plausibly, deliveries by rail to Sainsbury's and other commercial customers. At least there would be no need to build a station on or even near the main line. 

I think this line was until recently for the MAF site which has now disappeared. Am I right?
yes this is the old MAFF site.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 15:03:07 »

Running Barnstaple services through to a station at Sainsbury's on the old Marsh Barton siding, via Exeter St Thos, and running Exmouth services through to Okehampton could be a solution.

...whilst simultaneously upsetting the 60% or so of passengers on the Barnstaple trains who want to go to or through Exeter Central.

If that is the main flow on all trains, then fair enough. Is it impossible, though, to squeeze in a few runs out to Sainsbury's and back to catch the commuter traffic?

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 19:40:02 »

im not sure how much capacity is left in the line to yeovil but maybee a service from say axminster or honiton threw to marshbarton?... then threw to okehampton, yes i know this would mean going threw st davids twice but this would not only benifit people going to marsh barton and okehampton but also central, st davids, crediton, pinhoe, east devon basicaly would have more services i think that the main issues would be rolling stock and the capacity of the honiton route lets face it all it needs apart from that is a bit more line at marshbarton and some signalling work and oh yeh a station broadclyst would also make an ideal park and ride station there is loads of room for a carpark and its crying out for a station!

maybee im in dream world again?
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 07:49:36 »

im not sure how much capacity is left in the line to yeovil but maybee a service from say axminster or honiton threw to marshbarton?... then threw to okehampton, yes i know this would mean going threw st davids twice but this would not only benifit people going to marsh barton and okehampton but also central, st davids, crediton, pinhoe, east devon basicaly would have more services i think that the main issues would be rolling stock and the capacity of the honiton route lets face it all it needs apart from that is a bit more line at marshbarton and some signalling work and oh yeh a station broadclyst would also make an ideal park and ride station there is loads of room for a carpark and its crying out for a station!

The county councils ambition is for a half hourly service between Axminster from Exeter (i.e Waterloo train on the hour, local stopper at half past)  There is a passing loop being installed at Axminster to facilitate the hourly Waterloo service from the Dec 2009.  However the half hourly service also depends on a Southern loop being built.  As the new development at Cranbrook is now on hold I think this is unlikely to happen for a long time.  I wouldn't think the turnround times would permit a trip to Marsh Barton and I don't think that it would attract many passengers anyway unless it was a massive park and ride but the buses have already got that side covered. 

Re-double the Exeter Salisbury - now there's a thought!

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 21:23:19 »

The county councils ambition is for a half hourly service between Axminster from Exeter (i.e Waterloo train on the hour, local stopper at half past)  There is a passing loop being installed at Axminster to facilitate the hourly Waterloo service from the Dec 2009.  However the half hourly service also depends on a Southern loop being built.  As the new development at Cranbrook is now on hold I think this is unlikely to happen for a long time.  I wouldn't think the turnround times would permit a trip to Marsh Barton and I don't think that it would attract many passengers anyway unless it was a massive park and ride but the buses have already got that side covered. 

Re-double the Exeter Salisbury - now there's a thought!

yep needs doubling but i dont know if you work on marsh barton or any other part of exeter but apart from london it has to have the worst traffic in the uk
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 20:17:17 »

A station should be opened on the Waterloo line called 'Exeter Airport Parkway' - this could serve as access to Exeter Airport and also a P&R (Park and Ride) Railhead for shoppers and commuters.

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 20:25:03 »

A station should be opened on the Waterloo line called 'Exeter Airport Parkway' - this could serve as access to Exeter Airport and also a P&R (Park and Ride) Railhead for shoppers and commuters.

whimple would be a good bet
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 20:44:01 »

I agree, but needs loads more parking to be a 'Parkway'
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 21:57:40 »

Could be the first Ride and Fly station!

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 22:50:45 »

I agree, but needs loads more parking to be a 'Parkway'

im sorry i was suppost to say broadclyst im not sure why i said whimple?
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 10:57:23 »

Quote from: relex109
not sure why i said whimple?

Nun fetish?

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 12:01:51 »

Quote from: relex109
not sure why i said whimple?

Nun fetish?

I think we need a seperate page for making fun of me so I can read and apreciate it on a good day....
Feckham

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 13:32:16 »

Hi

As a commuter who prefers to fly from the closest airport... to create a spur/passing loop after Pinhoe, and before the old Broadclyst station, so provide a new Fly-Park-Ride along with satisfying any demand for future housing etc, would perhaps be feasible.   There is enough land earmarked on that side of Exeter Airport to faciliate it.

Routing BNP (Barnstaple) to Marsh Barton would indeed upset the ever increasing number of users of the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) line going to Exeter Central, but OKE to Marsh Barton/Exmouth could be introduced - as a new service

Perhaps alternate routing to any new station would be to divert the current paths from BNP/Paignton-Exmouth.  Thus satisfying the North and South Devon users of this airport and commuters for Exeter with the Park/Ride option, especially if a spur, as would terminate there, and hopefully not interfere too much with other traffic on the main line

FlyingDutchman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 13:35:14 »

Hi

This is just a idea service

Exeter Central to Cranbrook stopping at all the station between

and Return to Exeter St David, Exeter St David to Dawlish Warren.

Dawlish Warren to Collumpton and then back to Exeter Central.

Maybe Exeter Central  to Digby and Sowton and then to Okehampton

Guy
Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 17:53:31 »

The funding for the new station at Cranbrook east of Exeter was approved by the South West Regional Development Agency last July. Does anyone know the timetable for building this station? Is it being coordinated with the installation of a further passing loop on the Waterloo - Exeter line or will it be a single platform?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: