Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 07:40:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[112] The One-Way Wizzo
[56] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[56] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[41] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spare unit  (Read 9268 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2008, 00:38:18 »

The LM (London Midland - recent franchise) service from Wolverhampton to Walsall has been axed, despite passenger growth. Angry

The government withdrew funding of the hourly service because of "poor patronage."

Will it free up a unit for FGW (First Great Western)? Or is the real reason for the axing of the service so the stock can be used elsewhere? Roll Eyes

Sounds too familiar to what's going on with the Melksham line! Watch out - the third (or is it fourth?) Beeching axe is about!!
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 01:12:39 »

Why would axing a service on London Midland give a unit to FGW (First Great Western)? Doesn't make sense...

The unit(s) released will be diagrammed for bolstering other diagrams.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:59:04 »

Apparently the Dec 08 t/t has already reallocated the unit, so it's a fait accompli.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 17:33:39 »

Is it a 153?

I just thought that a carriage going spare could be sent to FGW (First Great Western). LM (London Midland - recent franchise) have not liked adding 153s to boost capacity as the cabs are not as good, and they can't keep to tight timetables as well as 150s.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 06:10:32 »

See link below for more on this.
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7584.msg12284#msg12284

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:51:48 »

I feel quite sorry for this route as Mr. Beeching killed off the service in the 60^s, although the line remained thankfully. The West Midland Passenger Transport Executive (CENTRO) reinstated the service in the 90^s, with the hope of increasing it to a half hourly service. They were even thinking about re-opening of two stations on the route? Now sadly CENTRO is to busy looking at over priced trams, to care what happens to the railways.

I do not know what Central Trains would have done if they hadn^t re franchised, but LM (London Midland - recent franchise) to me seems like a pointless, and in-fill franchise for Virgin West Coast. Which I fear is the case if you look at LM new timetable.

The Government and its departments is quite happy to spend millions on a re-routing the Eurostar around London so people can get to Paris a bit faster, or converting the East London Line back to a heavy railway line. But when it comes to spending a few quid on new bus shelter in Bristol or Birmingham, they will tell you its considered not cost effective.

The entire West Midlands Timetable has seen massive cuts to local train^s services, not to mention LM performance. Sadly I feel it boils down to the fact that the line is not a big political issue. If the line was in West London I^d imagine that they would have stumped up the cash, and used one of the Class 321's EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s on the route instead of the Class 153 and the people would have there train!

Yep I agree entirely it seems more and more that rail servies are being decided on what can we get away with, not how do we provide good public transport. The problem with the Walsall Wolverhampton service is that it requires a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) due to lack of wires between Pleck and Darlaston Junctions. So a 321 can't be used.

Along with Walsall Rugely plus Coventry to Nuneaton,  these three links should be early candidates for electrification to eliminate DMUs on otherwise electrified lines and provide  more fully electrified diversionary routes around the West Midlands.  A back of the envelope calculation gives around 12 routes from Stafford to Rugby, provided you allow passing through Aston twice (to avoid reversing in New Street) as a separate route. It's not unprecedented the Glasgow - Blackpool summer specials used to pass through Preston twice. 

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 14:53:32 »

Lm have not axed any services in the new timetable. Indeed, most stations' services have been greatly enhanced.

Lm's performance is better than central's.   
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 16:51:27 »

The current service is much better! All stations have a direct train to B'ham per hour. Major stations have an additional fast train per hour.

South of b'ham, many stations have a direct train to London. Stopping patterns are staggered so most stations have a faster service.

The stourbridge line will be 6tph instead of 4.

You can get to b'ham airport more easily now.

Destinations such as Liverpool, aberw. and shrewsbury are more assessble from the snow hill lines.

Did I mention 2tph to Liverpool? Semi fast trains to Strat-u-a?

There are many other egs of enhancements. 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 17:09:31 »

The current service is much better! All stations have a direct train to B'ham per hour. Major stations have an additional fast train per hour.

South of b'ham, many stations have a direct train to London. Stopping patterns are staggered so most stations have a faster service.

The stourbridge line will be 6tph instead of 4.

You can get to b'ham airport more easily now.

Destinations such as Liverpool, aberw. and shrewsbury are more assessble from the snow hill lines.

Did I mention 2tph to Liverpool? Semi fast trains to Strat-u-a?

There are many other egs of enhancements. 

Apart from the fact that half of it doesnt run due to a chronic lack of crew in the ex Silverlink side of LM (London Midland - recent franchise).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 18:36:58 »

Agreed. But the comment was that LM (London Midland - recent franchise) had axed services when they have done the opposite!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 18:13:51 »

They now have a direct service to London. Other services are faster with better rolling stock. 
Doctor Gideon Ceefax

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 23:17:58 »

Silverlink had direct services to London. And they ran express, rather than effectively an extension of the Birmingham - Coventry Centro local stopper.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 21:11:09 »

And they ran express, rather than effectively an extension of the Birmingham - Coventry Centro local stopper.

Virgin Trains run expresses!

(now every 20 mins).

LM (London Midland - recent franchise) have added more places to the direct London route - an improvement.

Fares are also low.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 12:50:01 »

Now I know btline and I don't always see eye to eye, but on this occasion I think it is fair to say that I endorse his remarks about LM (London Midland - recent franchise)'s efforts to enhance services.

The Stourbridge branch 153 is the one being used to provide the extra Worcester-Gloucester trains, so a clear benefit for that route, even if Parry's unfortunately haven't got their box of tricks working on the branch yet.

Stratford-upon-Avon has an enhanced Saturday service, with the one all-stations train an hour to and from Birmingham to one stopper and one semi-fast most of the day. At the moment the stock isn't available to do this on weekdays outside the peaks but if it works on weekends, then there's every chance they will try to find the stock to do it all week. Worcestershire also has extra Saturday trains into Birmingham.

And whatever the wiring problems at Pleck, a Wolverhampton-Walsall service will only make sense when someone finally finds the money to build a station at Willenhall, a community which needs a fast link to both ends of the line and on into Birmingham. The station site is there and was before the trains started running but nothing has been done. If it had been opened, passenger numbers would have been far higher and acted as a deterrent to the bean-counters at DafT who ordered the scrapping of the service.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 13:00:03 by willc » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 18:00:44 »

LM (London Midland - recent franchise) are miles better than Central Trains!

IMO (in my opinion) Govia have done an excellent job, and I have relatives who live in the SN / SE area, and they say Govia have done a good job there, as well.

Stratford-upon-Avon has an enhanced Saturday service, with the one all-stations train an hour to and from Birmingham to one stopper and one semi-fast most of the day. At the moment the stock isn't available to do this on weekdays outside the peaks but if it works on weekends, then there's every chance they will try to find the stock to do it all week.

That is a reason why LM's decision to order less 172s than the current no of 150s was made short sightedly. Not only do we need longer trains, we need 2 tph to Stratford with one semi fast. The current 3 tph to Shirely should also be extended to Earlswood (renamed "Parkway" as it is next to the M42).

Don't forget the Chase Line, now 2 tph.

Now I know btline and I don't always see eye to eye...

Don't we? Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: