16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:02:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back On Track  (Read 4168 times)
oooooo

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2008, 00:49:53 »

Back on track with something that is relevant, the Newquay branch is actually booked a four car unit this Friday. First time in YEARS this has been booked, good on FGW (First Great Western).

For those that prefer links that means nothing on a railway forum, see link below:
http://www.visitcornwall.com/site/places-to-stay/b-and-bs-in-cornwall
This is a link of places to stay in Cornwall, but is obviously relevevant as you can travel by train to stay at these places.

Gah. whatever, can we please keep this site on topic, the recent postings are becoming boring. (ok, this is my opinion).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:59:41 »

I tend to agree, and good news about the Newquay service.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:42:07 »

Sorry, but I definitely disagree. In my opinion, there's plenty of forums which are strictly about trains and railways, there's plenty of other places that the geeks can strut their stuff.

What's been sorely lacking to date is somewhere where any traveller, from the regular commuter to the lone parent on an access day taking their kids on a ride on a train for a treat, can ask a genuine question of knowledgable people without fear of being made to look or feel stupid, just because they don't happen to know, or indeed care very much, what SDO (Selective Door Opening) means (for example).

Railways mean so much more to people than just operations and lineside. They are part of the fabric of the community, and as such I feel strongly that this forum should reflect the lives people lead around the railways. The people, the events, the infrastructure, the history and the geography all go towards making what we mean when we refer to "Railways", and as such all deserve a place here in the Coffee Shop.

What makes this place unique and special as far as I'm concerned is that there is a really good mix of extremely knowledgeable people, people who actually work on the railways, regular travellers and "ordinary people", for want of a better phrase. That's why I'm willing to put what little spare time I have into helping in my own small way towards keeping the place ticking over - because I wholeheartedly believe in it.

Which isn't to say it couldn't be better organised - I'm sure it could. Constructive ideas are always welcomed and appreciated. If people think there should be a separate area in the Coffee Shop for discussing solely operational matters then they are more than welcome to suggest it!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 13:45:53 »

There is of course an ironic danger of taking this off "ooooooo"'s track by discussing here what is and is not on track  Grin

As far as I'm concerned, Phil has it right where he talks about it being for any traveller. That includes those who travel as staff, and extends to those who facilitate the travel ranging from people work at the depots to those who work for the BRB(resolve) Residuary body, and from the Minister for Rail via local government Civil Servants to the chaps and chapesses who will drive to a remote and picturesque spot to photograph the only visit of a Hymek to Cornwall this year ...

I'm delighted you have four cars on Newquay services this summer - but I'll justify that not from an enthusiaist's viewpoint but from the practical viewpoint of giving the customer a practically confortable journey, and I'll free at liberty to ask questions about whether doubling the frequency rather than doubling the train length would have been a better deal for the passengers ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Karl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 13:56:00 »

Afternoon

Sorry, but I agree with Phil.  I have clicked on
links before that I have thought may interest me
and they either haven't done what the title has
said, or I have found it not to my interest but I
just press my back key!  On forums there will be
messages that will suit some and not others, thats
just something we have to live with!

'If' my message last night regarding the Newquay
branch is one of the messages you think isn't
relevant (being in the same topic box), well all I
asked for was if you can supply me with some details
of what trains were busier than others and if you
could supply me with dates and times, I will then
pass it onto someone who may be able to help.  I do
however agree with you that a four car service is
good news (I didn't revieve details about this until
after I sent my message).  So if you want me to pass
on info that may help traincrew and passengers ilike
on the Newquay branch then send me some details and
I'll pass them onto someone who is in a position to
help.

Regards

Karl.

Back on track with something that is relevant, the
Newquay branch is actually booked a four car unit
this Friday. First time in YEARS this has been booked,
good on FGW (First Great Western).

For those that prefer links that means nothing on a
railway forum, see link below:

http://www.visitcornwall.com/site/places-to-stay/b-and-bs-in-cornwall

This is a link of places to stay in Cornwall, but
is obviously relevevant as you can travel by train
to stay at these places. Gah. whatever, can we
please keep this site on topic, the recent postings
are becoming boring. (ok, this is my opinion).
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 22:39:18 »

I'm delighted you have four cars on Newquay services this summer - but I'll justify that not from an enthusiaist's viewpoint but from the practical viewpoint of giving the customer a practically confortable journey, and I'll free at liberty to ask questions about whether doubling the frequency rather than doubling the train length would have been a better deal for the passengers ...

The four cars was a one off for a pop concert, ended up being 3 anyway. My view wasn't from an enthusiasts viewpoint, I also agree its good for the passengers and is much better than seeing the normal two car set plus two double decker buses.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: