21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:49:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Radley Station - timetable changes, incidents and refurbishment (merged topics)  (Read 34426 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 13:36:55 »

... that is smart thinking.

perhaps they could also try dropping the parking charge to ^2.  Might be more or less cost neutral if the car park got more customers.   
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 16:51:36 »

I have added the following comment to the article on the Oxford Mail web site:
yabbadabbadoo256 says that the road vehicle licence permits a car to be parked legally anywhere on the highway. His understanding of the law is at fault. The licence gives the driver only the right to "pass and repass", i.e. to drive on the road. Immediately a vehicle stops it is creating an obstruction and in theory could be charged with obstruction. Obviously the police have to treat obstruction sensibly and only charge when an obstruction is real and not just a technical obnstruction.
The residents of Radley should have objected to the original proposal to increase the parking at Radley statioon when it was originally announced several years ago because it was made clear at the time that the funding was only being made available for "revenue generating investment". It is a bit late to complain now.
The suggestion of a one hour parking limit is a sensible one. Here at Hanborough and also at Charlbury a one hour ban between 11.00 am and 12 noon has been imposed on roads near the rail station that are residential roads and that works very well.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 19:24:38 »

I wondered where all the cars had gone as since they have extended the car park and charged for parking.
Since the charging I have never seen the original car park full, never mind the extension.
If they had charged before they had extended the car park they could have saved ^165,000!
And ^3 a day is a lot cheaper than parking at Oxford or Didcot and I wonder how many of the people travelling to/from Radley travel for 'free'.

This is a classic example of lack of research or ignoring the information.  Oxford City have recently introduced charges at their park and ride car parks.  The price per day there is only ^2.00. (The return bus fare is ^2.25 I think).

Since most people will ignore the small cost of driving from Radley to the Park and Ride (particularly if they have already driven from Abingdon) then this compares unfavourably with ^3.00 to park and ^4.10 anytime return rail fare.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 21:48:15 »

It wasn't ignorance as I was comparing the price of parking at Radley station with that at Didcot Parkway or Oxford stations, i.e. I don't understand why they are complaining. Apologies if I didn't make that clear, plus how many passengers actually pay the fare given the lack of facilities to buy a ticket at Radley.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 22:04:32 »

It wasn't ignorance as I was comparing the price of parking at Radley station with that at Didcot Parkway or Oxford stations, i.e. I don't understand why they are complaining. Apologies if I didn't make that clear, plus how many passengers actually pay the fare given the lack of facilities to buy a ticket at Radley.

I was not suggesting ignorance on your part but on this setting the car park prices.  ^2.00 would at least be the same as the Park & Ride.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 09:06:47 »

No offence taken and its to easy to misread an item Wink
Busboy W1

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2013, 21:02:30 »

Nearly all trains that call at Radley have a Ticket Examiner on board. And with the favourable journey time of 8 mins to Oxford compared to the No 35 bus which takes on average 25+ Mins the extra amount to the Anytime fare is justified. Off Peak is ^3.40 similar to the bus fare !! Correct me if I'm wrong.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2013, 21:53:23 »

Off Peak is ^3.40 similar to the bus fare !! Correct me if I'm wrong.

60p cheaper.  See my previous post.   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2019, 15:40:17 »

Good to see Radley's car park expansion finished this week and open for business.  Difficult to be precise as the enlarged area is gravel without actual marked out spaces, but I would guess that there's now room for an extra 30 or so cars on top of the 50 or so that could already fit in the car park on weekdays - I'll be interested to see if these extra spaces gets taken up quickly as Radley becomes ever busier as a local community station and railhead for Abingdon.

I wondered where all the cars had gone as since they have extended the car park and charged for parking.
Since the charging I have never seen the original car park full, never mind the extension.

Six years on and I spotted that Radley's car park was pretty much full today - 70 or so vehicles - so a good job it was extended all those years ago.  A little bit of free street parking remains at the top of the station approach I think, but I'm guessing parking in the village has been reduced?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: