27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 02:37:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Newquay and Plymouth Airports - their rise and fall - ongoing discussion  (Read 106028 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2008, 12:44:34 »

Just caught tailend of piece on You and Yours Radio 4 assumme airport will reopen.

Final quote "it's a great day for Cornwall".
woody

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2008, 13:35:16 »

Ditto-The latest http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/business/Newquay-Airport-reopen/article-561014-detail/article.html
Operating lincence granted late yesterday.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2008, 21:15:26 »

Flights resume at Cornish airport
Passengers have finally begun flying out of Newquay Airport nearly three weeks after Cornwall County Council failed to secure an operating licence.
The airport closed on 1 December after concerns about air traffic control, fire cover and runway maintenance - previously provided by the RAF (Royal Air Force).
The Civil Aviation Authority issued a licence on Friday and Air Southwest has now resumed flights.
Skybus services will start on Monday, but Ryanair will not begin until March.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7793365.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2009, 19:26:54 »

The future of Plymouths airport could be at risk and with it Air South Wests Plymouth/Newquay/Gatwick air link as Flybe prepare to Launch a rival Newquay/Gatwick service on February 15th according to a report in the Plymouth Evening Herald newspaper.Could be good news for FGW (First Great Western) in Plymouth.
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Undefined-Headline/article-653076-detail/article.html
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2009, 19:38:06 »

If FGW (First Great Western) removed some slack from the 1006/1206 ex Paddington, there could be two southbound trains that reach Plymouth in 3 hours. Plymouth Airport is in a hopeless position for visiting business and probably involves a fairly lengthy bus journey through Marsh Mills. Fun!

Meanwhile the station is within walking distance of most of Plymouth City Centre.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 18:09:52 »

Won't happen.

Especially as the owners of ASW own plymouth airport...

Plus this wouldnt be the first MP (Member of Parliament) that had no idea what they're talking about
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2009, 20:35:39 »

Airline BMI Baby has announced new summer flights between Birmingham International and Cornwall.
Flights to and from Newquay will run four days a week between May and September.
No other airline currently offers flights on the route, the company's website said.
A BMI spokesman said more than 20,000 passengers were expected to travel between the West Midlands and the South West.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7872846.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2009, 22:09:17 »

Airline BMI Baby has announced new summer flights between Birmingham International and Cornwall.
Flights to and from Newquay will run four days a week between May and September.
No other airline currently offers flights on the route, the company's website said.
A BMI spokesman said more than 20,000 passengers were expected to travel between the West Midlands and the South West.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7872846.stm

I suppose the rail service is just too slow and expensive.

And driving is not fun.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2009, 12:34:16 »

FlyBe are also to fly from Newquay to Gatwick starting this Spring. This will be in competition with Air South west and will virtually double the number of flights to Gatwick. The FlyBe web site was showing a fare of ^0 in both directions plus taxes the other day, still might be there.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2009, 18:25:51 »

Air Southwest Set To Revolutionise Travel Between Newquay And London

Air travel between Cornwall and London with the launch of a twice daily service from Newquay to London City Airport.
New twice-daily service from Newquay to London City Airport
Flying to the heart of London
Providing a full business day in London
Quicker than the train, cheaper than the train
All-in fares from just ^29
London City Airport:

Six miles from the City, three miles from Canary Wharf
Docklands Light Railway gives easy access to whole of London every 10 minutes
Business environment
Five minutes from plane to train (or taxi)
Fastest passenger processing times in Europe
From April 20 the new service will provide a twice-daily link from Newquay to London City, meaning that Cornwall's business travellers can benefit from a full day in London, with the convenience of flying from Newquay Airport. This expansion will further strengthen Air Southwest's route network from Newquay, where the airline is already the largest operator.

Newquay Cornwall Airport
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2009, 18:50:57 »

Air Southwest Set To Revolutionise Travel Between Newquay And London

Air travel between Cornwall and London with the launch of a twice daily service from Newquay to London City Airport.
New twice-daily service from Newquay to London City Airport
Flying to the heart of London
Providing a full business day in London
Quicker than the train, cheaper than the train
All-in fares from just ^29
London City Airport:

Six miles from the City, three miles from Canary Wharf
Docklands Light Railway gives easy access to whole of London every 10 minutes
Business environment
Five minutes from plane to train (or taxi)
Fastest passenger processing times in Europe
From April 20 the new service will provide a twice-daily link from Newquay to London City, meaning that Cornwall's business travellers can benefit from a full day in London, with the convenience of flying from Newquay Airport. This expansion will further strengthen Air Southwest's route network from Newquay, where the airline is already the largest operator.

Newquay Cornwall Airport
Angry
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2009, 20:01:35 »

Angry

I think that sums up Btline's feelings about the matter quite nicely Grin

You won't get me on those planes though. I hate flying, Train much safer Grin

Interestingly enough I was talking to an easyjet pilot who said your more likely to kill yourself getting into the shower than have an incident on a plane. Problem is, (God forbid) if the plane crashes. Your pretty much Dead.

If a train crashes (God Forbid again) you have much more chance of being able to tell the tale Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2009, 20:20:01 »

Angry

Problem is, (God forbid) if the plane crashes. Your pretty much Dead.

Though there have been a few instances recently (Heathrow, Hudson River) where what should have been multiple fatality accidents have resulted in none.

You may not want to get on a plane, but if you're a business person needing to travel to London this service will be very appealling. Let's face it, you can't sensibly do London and back in a day from Newquay, can you? (Unless you think 11 hrs travelling for 3 1/2 hours is ok.)   
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2009, 22:04:16 »

Though there have been a few instances recently (Heathrow, Hudson River) where what should have been multiple fatality accidents have resulted in none.

You may not want to get on a plane, but if you're a business person needing to travel to London this service will be very appealling. Let's face it, you can't sensibly do London and back in a day from Newquay, can you? (Unless you think 11 hrs travelling for 3 1/2 hours is ok.)   

Yes I agree that their have been several incidents that have resulted in no fatalities. and yes flying to London for business would be very appealing, I'm not saying it isn't. But i'd much rather get the FGW (First Great Western) Pullman Breakfast service from Plymouth to London than fly.

One of my friends got frisked whilst going through security. The security guard didn't exactly carry out his business gently, clonked him in a rather sensitive place. To which my friend said, "Watch It Yeah" No messing about, got arrested in the middle of the airport.

Now personally I would much rather not have the idea in my head that something like that could happen to me in an airport. With a train, yes it can take longer, But you can turn up and go, no fannying about with security checks and bag xraying.

Flying Somewhere = Anxious Trout Angry
Travelling by Rail = Happy Trout Grin

Please excuse my hideous grammar and punctuation Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
woody

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2009, 23:16:01 »

Airline announces new Plymouth/Newquay to London route
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Airline-announces-new-Plymouth-London-route/article-756238-detail/article.html
Given the limitations the railway infrastructure west of Exeter with a very slow and sinuous rail route and little hope of a 21st railway this far west it is inevitable that the the railways are increasingly going to struggle in these parts as the 21st Century unfolds.The new ASW flying time from Plymouth to Central London will now be little different to the present Plymouth to Exeter rail journey so is likely to be very popular and not just with business men.Lets face it the railways in the south west are not a national priority and journey times from Plymouth to London reflect the past and not the future.
  I would think that one or two alarm bells must be ringing at FGW (First Great Western) now.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: