27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:36:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Ufton Nervet level crossing: incidents and discussions (merged topics)  (Read 90225 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:12:12 »

On a rather sombre note, but as a reminder of what the aftermath of a rail crash involves:

"More than 90 police officers, staff and members of the public are being commended for their part in the aftermath of a rail crash in 2004.

Seven people died when a train hit a car at a level crossing in Ufton Nervet, Berkshire, and derailed.

Another 120 people were injured onboard the London Paddington to Plymouth service, 18 of them seriously."

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/7558317.stm for full details.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 18:01:48 »

From Newbury Today:

Man dies after being struck by train at Ufton Nervet level crossing yesterday evening

A man died after he was hit by a train at a level crossing in Ufton Nervet last night (Wednesday).
British Transport police were alerted to the incident just before 8pm and both Thames Valley Police officers and paramedics rushed to the scene to no avail.
BTP (British Transport Police) spokesman, Gavin Brown, said the man was hit by the 4.57 high speed Plymouth to Paddington train while on the level crossing at Church Lane.
He said: ^The incident is being treated as non-suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.^
A spokeswoman for the train operator, First Great Western, said that the train driver involved in the incident was not at work today but would receive "all the necessary support".
Passengers travelling on the service were forced to alight at Reading and were delayed until nearly 10pm as the train involved in the incident was sent to a depot.

Edit note: Date reference in topic heading updated to reflect third such incident currently being reported (see below). C.  Sad
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 20:46:49 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 18:25:30 »

So a foot passenger? Isn't this the crossing where an HST (High Speed Train) was pretty much written off  Huh

My deepest sympathy, however unless the crossing was at fault, why was he on it??
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 19:00:34 »

Isn't this the crossing where an HST (High Speed Train) was pretty much written off  Huh

Yes: having provided a link to the local news story, I didn't quote it in its entirety, but that article does go on to say,
The level crossing was the site of another tragic incident in November 2004 when Brian Drysdale committed suicide.
Seven people died when the 17.35 First Great Western Paddington to Plymouth train collided with Drysdale's Mazda 323, which had been parked on the unmanned, half barrier level crossing at Ufton Nervet.

A Little Bedwyn woman, 55-year-old Julia Canning, was also killed at a foot crossing at Little Bedwyn just under a month ago when she was struck by a train in a tragic accident on the same line.
Mrs Canning was believed to have been walking her dog when she was hit by the 5.08pm Newbury to Bedwyn service at around 5.30pm.
The British Transport Police described the incident involving Mrs Canning as an accident and said there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

My deepest sympathy, however unless the crossing was at fault, why was he on it??

Again, from the news article:
BTP (British Transport Police) spokesman, Gavin Brown, said ... ^The incident is being treated as non-suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.^

To me, that suggests suicide.  Sad

miniman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 20:29:52 »

It wouldn't surprise me if he had lost a partner, friend or family member in the UN accident.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 21:20:02 »

i dont want to turn this poor person into another statistic, but are these incedents on the increase?
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 22:43:19 »

Don't get carried away. I understand this was a clear suicide. I won't describe exactly what happened, but forget any thoughts of infrastructure issues. I have no information as to whether or not this was related to the previous suicide at this crossing which caused the derailment.

My thoughts are with the driver.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 22:55:41 »

Don't get carried away. I understand this was a clear suicide. I won't describe exactly what happened, but forget any thoughts of infrastructure issues. I have no information as to whether or not this was related to the previous suicide at this crossing which caused the derailment.

that is what i was saying suicides on railway lines seems to be on the up
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 23:15:11 »

I understand what you are saying - there have been a few lately, but not many in LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) land. There was a spate around Hayes and Slough a year or so ago, but none recently (touch wood).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 14:55:04 »

An update, from Newbury Today:

The man who died after being hit by a train at the Ufton Nervet level crossing has been named.
Thomas Porter, aged 67 and from Reading, died on Wednesday night after he was hit by the 16.57 high speed Plymouth to Paddington train while on the level crossing at Church Lane.

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 15:01:05 »

Seconded

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:15:05 »

It's 5 years since the Ufton Nervet Rail Crash. I think it's quite important to just stop and take a momentt o think about events like this so below are the names of those who died:

Train driver Stanley Martin, 54, from Torquay, Devon; Barry Strevens, 55, from Wells, Somerset; Emily Webster, 14, from Morehampstead, Devon; Anjanette Rossi, 38, from Speen, Berkshire and her daughter Louella Main, nine

Leslie Matthews, 72, from Warminster, Wiltshire died in hospital the following day.

and finally Brian Drysdale who was in the car.

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) reports that a memorial garden is to be opened near the site.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/8345918.stm
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 10:01:11 »

10 years since Ladbrook Grove as well.  These things are never fully forgotten.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 18:35:27 »

From Newbury Today:

Controversial crossing, where seven people died after a crash five years ago, could be axed says Network Rail

The controversial half barrier railway crossing at Ufton Nervet could soon be closed for good. Network Rail has revealed that the site of the rail tragedy five years ago this month, is one of a number of ^low risk^ crossings being considered for the axe nationwide.

The proposal has caused dismay among some villagers and Newbury MP (Member of Parliament) Richard Benyon, who owns land surrounding the site, has also voiced his opposition.

Seven people died when a First Great Western Paddington to Plymouth train collided with a Mazda 323 deliberately parked on the crossing by suicidal motorist Brian Drysdale on November 6, 2004. Dozens more were injured and the trauma for many continues to this day.

But Network Rail spokesman Russell Spink confirmed this week: ^Ufton Lane crossing is low-risk compared with other similar crossings and, apart from the tragic collision which occurred five years ago, there has not seen a serious incident in more than three decades since the barriers were installed. The crossing is due for refurbishment in 2011 and, as is the case whenever a crossing is due for refurbishment, the possibility of closure is being examined.^

Network Rail has already held preliminary discussions with West Berkshire Council and plans to meet Ufton Nervet parish council next month.

However, parish council chairman David Hannington has vowed to oppose the closure. He said: ^If they close it, it will push all the traffic onto the Sulhamstead Road, onto the exit with the A4."

Richard Hutchings, aged 65, of Sulhamstead Hill warned closure would mean increased traffic seeking an alternative route past local homes and added: ^It^s bad enough now, without adding more to it.^

Campbell Elder, aged 39, of Church Lane, said accessing the A4 was already very difficult and any closure would worsen the problem. He added: ^We use the crossing to get to work and we would face a big detour up Sulhamstead Hill.^

Farmer David Hayes, aged 58, who owns land adjacent to the railway crossing, said: ^Anyone making deliveries to the farm would have to go right through Aldermaston. It^s just the railway trying to save money. Most people up here don^t want it closed.^

Another resident, Annette Haylock, aged 73, of Long Acre, said: ^It would be very inconvenient. We are pensioners and we would have to go a long way around.^

Local landowner Mr Benyon agreed saying: ^It would be a huge disadvantage for those people who live there.^

Meanwhile, a vigil was held at the spot where the tragedy happened, and Newbury survivors Jane Hawker and Julie Lloyds have organised an area of reflection nearby.

Mrs Hawker, who was injured in the tragedy, said: ^A silver birch has been planted in a gravelled area and two benches and a memorial plaque installed. The response has been overwhelming ^ people have told us they feel safe there whilst they sit and reflect.^

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 15:26:28 »

From Newbury Today:

An inquest hears how a man stood on the tracks at Ufton Nervet in front of an oncoming train

A Newbury inquest has heard how a 67-year-old man took his own life by jumping in front of an oncoming train at the Ufton Nervet level crossing.
Thomas Porter, of St Peter^s Road, Reading, died of multiple injuries on Wednesday, June 3, after he was struck by the 16.57 high speed Plymouth to Paddington train.
An inquest at Newbury Town Hall heard on Wednesday how Mr Porter had left his home in the early evening after telling his wife, Jennifer, he was going for a walk.
Assistant deputy coroner for Berkshire, Anna Burnside, explained how First Great Western train driver, Alan Ray, was travelling along the track just before 8pm that evening.
In a statement to the court, Mr Ray said he had just left Aldermaston station and was reaching speeds of up to 100mph when the incident happened.
Mr Ray explained how the track curved and how he followed instructions from a sign, which ordered drivers to sound the horn.
He said: ^I sounded the horn and as the track curves to the right, suddenly, I saw a male on the barrier and he then started to run towards my train and he got down on his hands and knees. I immediately pulled the emergency brakes.
^I believe the male^s actions were intentional and unfortunately there was no way I was able to stop the train.^
The court heard how Mr Porter, who was in the building trade, had in the past suffered with hip problems and more recently developed nausea which doctors believed was due to mild stress from work.
Mrs Porter said in a statement to the court that she was shocked by her husband^s death because they had no financial difficulties and life appeared to be normal.
She said: ^He left the house saying he was going for a walk around the block and I saw him talking to a neighbour.
^On leaving the house, he seemed fine. Everything appeared normal but I can^t think of why he did something like this.
^His death came as a complete shock to me.^
Ms Burnside said there was no reasonable doubt that Mr Porter wanted to kill himself and recorded a verdict of suicide.
The level crossing was the site of another tragic incident in November 2004 when Brian Drysdale committed suicide after parking his car on the tracks.
Seven people died when the 17.35 First Great Western Paddington to Plymouth train collided with Drysdale's Mazda 323.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: