Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:07:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon to Kemble re-doubling - ongoing discussion and updates  (Read 290577 times)
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2013, 20:28:46 »

I'm the only man I know with a record player.

I have several. But then, I suppose you don't know me  Wink

Back on topic with a brief sitrep: lots of activity around Black Dog Bridge today - the old single track bed (which is now the new Up track) is being cleared and the ballast relaid. There are still odd sections where there has not yet been any realignment of the old track. Not sure why that might be but hopefully the insiders can enlighten us?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2013, 20:44:55 »

The existing turnout and trap point leading from the Up line at Kemble station to the old Tetbury branch platform siding will be retained and continue to be operated by the existing Kemble Ground Frame (Release No.8659).

I really appreciate all the info, STE, that you so kindly supply, but just a tiny correction if I may; the siding is the old Cirencester branch trailing into the Up line.

Thanks ST, my mistake.  Corrected in original post.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2013, 21:07:21 »

With the signalling moving to Didcot, which I must admit I hadn't realised was happening - but makes sense - what is the thinking behind the SW prefix? 

SW=SWindon

Usually it would be SN (first and last letters) but that one is already used for Slough New.

I assumed the new signalling would be have references for Thames Valley.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2013, 21:25:13 »

With the signalling moving to Didcot, which I must admit I hadn't realised was happening - but makes sense - what is the thinking behind the SW prefix? 

SW=SWindon

Usually it would be SN (first and last letters) but that one is already used for Slough New.

I assumed the new signalling would be have references for Thames Valley.

I thought Slough New - the IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) had closed, but in any event SN is already used for signals around Swindon controlled by the original Swindon panel.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 22, 2013, 06:59:35 »

From FGW (First Great Western) Website

CHANGE TO PREVIOUSLY ADVERTISED SERVICES: 31 AUGUST to 1 SEPTEMBER 2013:
We are no longer able to run trains between Kemble and Gloucester on the weekend of 31 August/1 September. Customers are advised that rail replacement bus services will operate between Swindon and Gloucester/Cheltenham Spa that weekend.

GlawsterPanelS&T

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 22, 2013, 07:40:15 »

Good morning everyone. I'm a 'newby' and an ex-railwayman from Gloucester. Do any of you with inside knowledge know the details of the extra signalling being put in between Kemble and Standish Junction in connection with this scheme? Before I retired, access to this information would have been simple. Little detail has appeared in print about this work to add extra line capacity.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 22, 2013, 08:01:04 »

Welcome to the forum keredsonej!

Although signalling is a particular interest of mine, I don't the answer to your question.  However I am sure if the information is available it will be posted here soon, and I will be keen to learn the details alongside you.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 22, 2013, 08:47:01 »

Further to what Sapperton Tunnel was saying about a derailment at the weekend:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-23784244

An engineering train, working on the re-doubling of the railway line between Kemble and Swindon, has derailed causing damage to the track.

It happened between Minety and Swindon, a Network Rail spokesperson said.

The line is currently closed due to ongoing engineering work, and is due to reopen on 2 September.

A spokesman said the extent of the damage was being assessed and they were "working towards" resuming services by that date.

Mavis Choong from Network Rail said: "Two sets of wheels from an engineering train came off the track on Sunday, 18 August.

"One wagon of the train was affected, but remained in an upright position.

"Thankfully, no one was injured by this incident.

"We are currently undertaking an investigation and, once completed, it will help identify the cause of the incident.

"We are also assessing the extent of the damage caused by the derailed wagon, to enable us to make plans to repair the affected infrastructure.

"In the meantime, we are working towards resuming services by 2 September, and commissioning in 2014."

A source, who did not wish to be identified, told the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) it was believed that more than four miles of track had been affected, and the damage would delay engineering work by "at least a week".

The project to upgrade the route between Kemble and Swindon to a two-track operation is part of a ^45m project ahead of the Great Western Main Line's electrification.

The line was "singled" in the late 1960s as a cost-saving measure by British Rail, under agreement with the government.

Adding the second track is expected to allow up to four trains per hour to travel on the line in each direction.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:06:25 by patch38 » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 22, 2013, 15:44:19 »

Good morning everyone. I'm a 'newby' and an ex-railwayman from Gloucester. Do any of you with inside knowledge know the details of the extra signalling being put in between Kemble and Standish Junction in connection with this scheme? Before I retired, access to this information would have been simple. Little detail has appeared in print about this work to add extra line capacity.
As far as I am aware nothing is planned for North (or should that be West) of Kemble.
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 22, 2013, 16:38:31 »

I don't have any inside information, but there is some limited information in the public domain, for example http://www.networkrail.co.uk/CP4-delivery-plan-update-enhancements-programme.pdf. Page 214. It is fairly high level but gives a few insights:

Scope of Works
The scope of works will include:

re-doubling the railway between Swindon Loco Junction (78m 20ch) and Kemble (90m 74ch),
based on predominately slewing works to the existing single line and the relaying of a new second
track, associated signalling and other discipline works; and

additional intermediate infill signalling is to be provided between Kemble and St Mary^s crossing,
and between this crossing and Standish junction. This new signalling to include associated cable
routes, telecoms and signalling power supplies. Consideration shall be given to possible
implementation of modular signalling elements. This line of the route is controlled from Gloucester
Signal Control so the works can be developed in two parts.
Sapperton Tunnel

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 22, 2013, 17:33:22 »

I don't have any inside information, but there is some limited information in the public domain, for example http://www.networkrail.co.uk/CP4-delivery-plan-update-enhancements-programme.pdf. Page 214. It is fairly high level but gives a few insights:

Scope of Works

re-doubling the railway between Swindon Loco Junction (78m 20ch) and Kemble (90m 74ch),
based on predominately slewing works to the existing single line and the relaying of a new second

additional intermediate infill signalling is to be provided between Kemble and St Mary^s crossing,
and between this crossing and Standish junction. This new signalling to include associated cable
routes, telecoms and signalling power supplies. Consideration shall be given to possible
implementation of modular signalling elements. This line of the route is controlled from Gloucester

From Kemble to St. Mary's crossing and then St. Mary's crossing to Standish and vice versa are the 2 block posts between Kemble and Standish Junction. The St. Mary's to Standish section has both Stroud and Stonehouse stations in it and obviously only one train can be in the section at a time, including any train waiting to join the Bristol - Gloucester line at Standish, making it very operationally inconvenient. Both sections are controlled from Gloucester panel and are about 8 miles long and as I understand it, the plan is to split the Kemble to St. Mary's and St. Mary's to Standish sections in half, but I am not certain on this, and as both keredsonej and BandHcommuter say, information in the public domain is a bit limited. Other documents refer to 4 new signals.

The section from Swindon to Kemble is about 12 1/2 miles, but the speed is much greater with an HST (High Speed Train) limit of 100 mph as opposed to the 50s and 60s and suchlike from Sapperton Tunnel onwards; the signal spacing will thus need to be closer to maintain the headways with a lower speed.

The FGW (First Great Western) Pinterest site has a picture of a new signal on the Down at the Kemble end of Sapperton Short Tunnel

http://pinterest.com/pin/452330356295027913/

ST
GlawsterPanelS&T

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2013, 07:51:43 »

As correctly stated, both lines between Kemble and Standish Junction are split into 2 block sections. On the Down there is an entry signal at Kemble, SN160 I believe, which is Swindon controlled but slotted by Gloucester. St Marys Crossing is protected by Gloucester signals DK98R and DK98, the latter controlled from Gloucester but slotted by the crossing Annetts keys. Standish Junction is protected by signals G217R and G217. On the Up, entry from Standish is controlled by signal G272. St Marys Crossing is protected by signals UK99R and UK99, the latter also slotted by the Annetts keys. The first signal on approach to Kemble is at Coates.
I would imagine that both lines will have new signals somewhere in the Sapperton/Frampton area and at Stroud, giving 4 block sections on each, but this remains to be seen.
Sapperton Tunnel

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2013, 16:31:09 »

Some really interesting stuff on the RMweb board:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63590-swindon-kemble-re-doubling/

ST
Railfriend

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2013, 03:55:19 »

GlawsterPanel, you mentioned that you were a former railwayman.  I find it very interesting about the comments on here in regard to placement of the signals controlled from Didcot or Gloucester, and how their placement dictates train movement through track blocks and thus train speed.  Can I ask whether the control centres also communicate directly with the train drivers en route and give instructions on train movement and the speed at which they can operate.  Or do the control centres only communicate with train drivers en route in case of emergency or signal failure?  Just wondering.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2013, 15:17:17 »

Scope of Works

I wouldn't read too much into that.  Its only a wish list of things that could be done but I don't expect to see Kemble to Standish appearing at the top of the list when we consider the current railway project resourcing issues (i.e. we don't have enough - again Roll Eyes).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: