Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:24:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon to Kemble re-doubling - ongoing discussion and updates  (Read 290526 times)
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 23, 2014, 08:19:59 »

Two trains passing each other.  Does this mean that the ends of the new track have now been connected to the existing track at both ends, with the switches at both ends (including the one at the north end of Kemble Tunnel) no longer being in use?

The new line and its associated signalling has not yet been commissioned.  But it sounds as though the points at (at least) one end have been installed, and can be swung to access the new line to allow a test train to get onto it (likely to be within a possession), then swung back for normal traffic to resume on the existing line.
Once the signalling is commissioned, the lines between Swindon Loco Junction and Kemble will be uni-directional - i.e. up trains may only use the up line etc.
quedgeley2002

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2014, 13:12:11 »

So at long last we only have a matter of days to wait before the redoubled line is complete - the final closure period beckons!

Over the past week there has been a steady build up of materials and machinery at both ends of the single line where the 'old' turnouts and signalling will be removed. New signals are in place in both directions along the line and with the removal of the crossovers at the Swindon station end we could be in for some interesting movements as the lines from the station to the 'new' Loco Yard Junction are being set up for bi-directional working. The work at Kemble will be slightly more complex due to the need to fit the final part of the new crossover in the down line but with as much of the new track in place as can be through the tunnel it shouldn't take too long to complete. A turn-back facility looks as if it is being implemented at Kemble with an associated walking route from the end of the up platform towards Sapperton already in place. Are we to see London - Kemble - London trains in the future as why should so much trouble be taken at this stage?? 

I am surprised to see a significant build up of materials near Purton where, I understand, further work is needed on the up line where the track needs to be significantly lowered. Why was this not dealt with when the line was closed for relaying this time last year. No doubt there is a good reason and someone will be able to explain why?

With the line closed it leads me on to the replacement bus services next week and the publicity of them. I was expecting, in line with earlier closures, that a timetable booklet would be provided that as well as showing the bus arrangements would also confirm the details of the through London services via Bristol Parkway. But alas nothing! At Swindon station, and in support of the works between there and Didcot during August I was able to pick up a booklet "Alterations to train services from Swindon".   The booklet does just that! It only covers services leaving Swindon but there is no mention of the times to get to Swindon. I can't see the logic in producing this kind of limited material, to me it is about as useful as a wet paper bag as I will still have to resort to other means to find out times of travel to Swindon - assuming there is travel 'To' of course!!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2014, 13:35:04 »

I am surprised to see a significant build up of materials near Purton where, I understand, further work is needed on the up line where the track needs to be significantly lowered. Why was this not dealt with when the line was closed for relaying this time last year. No doubt there is a good reason and someone will be able to explain why?

Possibly that the extra work incurred after the derailment damage caused an overrun? (See earlier in the thread).
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 17, 2014, 09:00:41 »

With the line closed it leads me on to the replacement bus services next week and the publicity of them. I was expecting, in line with earlier closures, that a timetable booklet would be provided that as well as showing the bus arrangements would also confirm the details of the through London services via Bristol Parkway. But alas nothing! At Swindon station, and in support of the works between there and Didcot during August I was able to pick up a booklet "Alterations to train services from Swindon".   The booklet does just that! It only covers services leaving Swindon but there is no mention of the times to get to Swindon. I can't see the logic in producing this kind of limited material, to me it is about as useful as a wet paper bag as I will still have to resort to other means to find out times of travel to Swindon - assuming there is travel 'To' of course!!

Last weekend I picked up the alterations booklet for services for London Paddington over the weekend of 2/3 August and the work taking place 19-24 August and like you I was far from impressed. Very little in the way of showing full revised timetables with page after page of useless network maps when one would have done showing where all the work was taking place along side each date. I really hope this is not the way FGW (First Great Western) are going to highlight major engineering work in future. Just do a full revised timetable (as has been done so well in the past such as during Reading closures) covering the lines affected by engineering work along with basic information such as ticketing and replacement bus arrangements will do.

Surely it must have cost more to print different alterations booklets instead of just one?

Looking at publicity for the October closure of the London to West of England line between Castle Cary and Taunton, it looks like a proper revised timetable will be made available for this work nearer the time.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #364 on: August 17, 2014, 09:19:00 »

There's a sticker on the Reading August alteration booklet mentioning the Kemble closure, leading me to think that they were printed well in advance, maybe before the timescales slipped on the latter, and they chose not to reprint
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 17, 2014, 10:47:13 »

There's a sticker on the Reading August alteration booklet mentioning the Kemble closure, leading me to think that they were printed well in advance, maybe before the timescales slipped on the latter, and they chose not to reprint

All the information is here, folks, although it's a bit light on specifics.

Now, please!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 17, 2014, 12:51:52 »

Trains to/from Gloucester and Cheltenham are scheduled to go via Bristol TM(resolve) on Saturday but not Sunday, so suggest if traveling on Sunday get a train to Bristol and change there or it's a two and a half hour bus trip to Reading.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2014, 13:42:18 »

Trains to/from Gloucester and Cheltenham are scheduled to go via Bristol TM(resolve) on Saturday but not Sunday, so suggest if traveling on Sunday get a train to Bristol and change there or it's a two and a half hour bus trip to Reading.

The way I read it the advice all week is for travellers to Cheltenham and Gloucester to take a Bristol (Parkway when that line is open) train and change.  The only through trains are in the peaks.
Railfriend

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 19, 2014, 14:52:02 »

Has anyone heard anything further on how control of the new Swindon-Kemble double track is to be handled until the new Didcot control centre fully takes over from the Swindon panel?  I seem to remember someone mentioning that Didcot would have control of the double track from its opening later this month, even though the Swindon panel would still be in use until later this year.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #369 on: August 19, 2014, 18:26:22 »

Has anyone heard anything further on how control of the new Swindon-Kemble double track is to be handled until the new Didcot control centre fully takes over from the Swindon panel?  I seem to remember someone mentioning that Didcot would have control of the double track from its opening later this month, even though the Swindon panel would still be in use until later this year.

Please Refer to Post #345 on this thread.
Phil Farmer

View Profile Email
« Reply #370 on: August 20, 2014, 10:30:26 »

History in the making.....
The Kemble Line closes tonight for the last time on Swindon Panel. It re-opens on Monday 25th August controlled from the Thames Valley Signalling Centre.... as a double line.
There has been a concerted effort in the last few weeks to repair the block bells between Swindon Panel and Gloucester Panel (that have been out of use for ages), in order that the two boxes can close the line in the time-honoured way.
There is an elegant symmetry to the line being singled with the resignalling TO Swindon Panel in 1968, and being re-doubled with the re-signalling FROM Swindon Panel in 2014.
Had the original scheme proceeded as planned, the line would also have been single north of Kemble, with a passing place there. The large cantilever structure at the Swindon-end of the station shows where an additional signal would have been supported, SN.151, to allow moves back towards Swindon from the down platform (that would have been very useful over the years in any case!). SN.160 at the Gloucester end of the station would have had an opposite number, SN.162, to control moves from the down platform towards Gloucester. Neither SN.151 nor SN.162 ever came to be.
As well doubling the number of tracks, which reduces the propensity for a late running train in one direction to knock on to a train in the other direction, the single signal section from Swindon Loco Yard to Kemble Cutting is being split down into three signal sections, with two-aspect stop and repeater signals protecting each one. The non-block signals at Minety become block signals, and new signals are inserted at Purton. So the ^40m+ scheme has actually multiplied the capacity of the route by more than six!
Minety Crossing itself becomes CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), the crossing box closed last week.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 20, 2014, 14:50:53 »

I do hope someone(s) will be on hand to record the final 'blocking out' on the bells.

7-5-5 isn't it?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Railfriend

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 20, 2014, 23:40:57 »

Please Refer to Post #345 on this thread.

Thanks, Phile.  Based on control over all in/out rail traffic at Swindon having to be at one location and based on Swindon-Kemble double track being operated from Didcot from the end of this month it must follow that Swindon Panel will no longer be in use from that time.  Some earlier posts indicated that transfer of control to Didcot was behind schedule and wouldn't take place until late in 2014, but I guess that's not the case.

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2014, 07:27:30 »

The non-block signals at Minety become block signals, and new signals are inserted at Purton.

One of the Minety signals also seems to have moved or there has been a new signal inserted: I noticed yesterday that there's a new signal on the down line just to the east of the B4040 bridge, by the Vale of The White Horse Inn.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 21, 2014, 11:09:08 »

From the Swindon Advertiser

NETWORK Rail has paid for weekend breaks for residents living close to the Swindon to Kemble redoubling works who are affected by constant noise and vibrations.

Sleepless nights and damage to roads will soon end in Purton as disruption from the redoubling of the Swindon to Kemble rail lines comes to a close this month.

Residents living just yards away from the rail lines have been kept awake by work on the line between midnight and 5am, and some have been offered hotel accommodation by Network Rail as compensation.

Following reports of extensive damage to Collins Lane, which intersects the track, Network Rail says it will work with the Highways Agency to repair faults after the work is completed.

The project has taken 12 months to complete, and First Great Western has warned commuters travelling over the bank holiday weekend that the route between Swindon and Gloucester will be closed for the completion of the ^45m scheme.

Purton resident Jacqui Lay said: ^My sleep patterns have been unbelieveable while the work has been going on and we are glad it is nearly over.

^I have had a huge train parked outside my house for a long time now and they do not work day shifts, so we get the noise from the works all through the night.

^A lot of residents have been consistently woken up at around 2.30am every night and this train is probably around 50 feet away from me. When it is so close it is very much in your life.

^There is an awful lot of damage that has been done to Collins Lane, and there are, particularly people living right on the level crossing, who have been badly affected by the vibrations. The company have paid for them to go on breaks for some weekends to help out, and they have been very good at communicating with us along the way. My view is they need to learn from this because they have got the electrification project still to come.^

Network Rail has said it will investigate damage caused by the works alongside the Highways Agency.

A spokesman said: ^The redoubling of the Swindon to Kemble line is vital work to pave the way for increased capacity and reduced journey times, and better performance and punctuality that electrification and new electric trains will bring for future services.

^As is the case with most major works near to residential properties, a certain amount of disruption is unfortunately unavoidable. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.^
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: