Opening of Sapperton Canal Tunnel

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:06:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon to Kemble re-doubling - ongoing discussion and updates  (Read 291873 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 21:53:23 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news item, at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7699202.stm and video report, at  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7701023.stm

Chris Angry from Nailsea.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 22:03:45 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 23:10:37 »

Maybe a revised scheme with a short dynamic passing loop somewhere in the middle should be proposed. Would reduce knock on delays when one train is late by enabling the train coming the other way to advance as far as the loop, and increase capacity when the ST is closed. Not ideal, but half a loaf is better than none at all.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 00:51:36 »

Agree. Even one HST (High Speed Train) length loop, would reap major rewards.

That's what I think they could have done on the Cotswold line (in several places of course).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 08:32:17 »

Probably minimum should be enough to accommodate one full length freight train, else some of the diversionary benefit would probably be lost and the business case weakened. But I think we're agreed on the principle. 

Another puzzle to me is why when they relaid Standish Junction a few years ago they didn't increase the turn out speed. So trains have to slow to 40 ( IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) and then power up to get up the hill to Stonehouse (and then brake again to stop exactly 2 miles from the junction). Not very efficient.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 09:22:29 »

Network Rail has provided no further evidence to support the scheme.

Really?  Huh

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 22:19:53 »

Indeed, Lee: that's what it says, on page 199 of the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) document, available at http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/383.pdf : I, too was rather startled at that statement.  Huh

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 12:00:01 »

The link below contain articles on this from a Welsh perspective.
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2008/11/plan_to_speed_up_south_wales_t.html#more

Also, some interesting comments from Bill Emery, the chief executive of the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), on why some schemes were not funded :

Quote from: Times article
Bill Emery, the chief executive of the ORR, said that he did not have the power to challenge the Government^s cap on expansion despite receiving several representations saying that it would worsen overcrowding.

The Government said that it would fund Network Rail to expand capacity by up to 22.5 per cent by 2014. Passenger numbers are currently growing at about 7 per cent a year. At that rate passenger growth will be double what the Government plans to accommodate, meaning that thousands more people will have to stand on trains each day for up to an hour.

Mr Emery said: ^We don^t have the power to say, ^That^s not enough capacity^. We have already drawn attention to the forecasts of high demand and it appears that passenger growth is holding up.^

He said there was also a possibility that the Government would not deliver all of the 1,300 carriages it had promised by the 2014 deadline. The ORR has approved the extension of 500 platforms to accommodate trains that are up to 12 carriages long.

The ORR approved ^26.7 billion of funding for Network Rail from 2009 to 2014, ^2.4 billion less than the company said it needed. There was no money for electrification of lines up to 2014 despite the claim by the Government this week that it wanted to convert lines from diesel to electric power.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 13:25:18 »

I'm not one for getting peoples hopes up but:

This was included in a internal news type thing all colleagues get:

"Work on redoubling the North Cotswolds route will begin next year, which includes a six-week blockade to kick-start the work. It is a shame that the Office of Rail Regulation didn^t give the OK to funding for a similar project between Swindon and Kemble, but we have been encouraged by possible alternative funding opportunities, and I hope to give you an update on this in the New Year. "
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 13:41:01 »

Well, it's back on the agenda, apparently:

After a cross-party group of MPs (Member of Parliament) met the transport minister the situation appears to have changed.  Martin Horwood, Liberal Democrat MP for Cheltenham said there was now clear ministerial backing.  "The first step is quite a major engineering study which will (cost) several million pounds, but we hope the government will make a considerable contribution to get that rolling."

For full details, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7848436.stm

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 19:58:30 »

Further Update: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7878852.stm
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 20:15:12 »

Thanks, Ollie!  Wink

It is a turnaround of events for groups campaigning for the extra line.
In October the Office of Rail Regulator (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)) said (the) scheme would not be included in Network Rail's business plan for 2009-14.
The ORR said the case was not funded because it was judged to be outside the scope of what the government wanted for improving punctuality and capacity.

Well, I'm glad to see Lord Adonis has put the ORR straight on that one, then! Roll Eyes  Grin

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 12:34:41 »

DfT» (Department for Transport - about) announces ^2.5m for preparatory research:

Doubling 12 miles of the single track between Swindon and Gloucester is an excellent project which has the potential to make a real difference to people travelling through the South Cotswolds on this line. It is also an important diversionary route between South Wales and London when the Severn Tunnel is closed.

"My Department will now work with the South West Regional Assembly and Welsh Assembly Government to explore other funding opportunities for the full scheme. The co-ordination between three organisations is a demonstration of the importance of this project.

"In total the Government has committed to investing ^15bn of public money in the railways in the next five years."

The funding will allow engineers to carry out a full evaluation of the existing route and produce detailed plans for work to be done.

Depending on the outcome of the report and funding for the project being secured, work on doubling 12-miles of single track into two lines on this busy Swindon to Gloucester route could start as early as next year.

http://nds.coi.gov.uk/environment/fullDetail.asp?ReleaseID=397716&NewsAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False

Paul
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 21:53:52 »

DfT» (Department for Transport - about) announces ^2.5m for preparatory research:

This gets a mention in May's Modern Railways.  What I don't get is why does it cost ^2.5 million to study redoubling?

I'd do it for ^250,000 and still be overcharging.

I bet IKB (Isambard Kingdom Brunel) when he first surveyed the route it didn't cost that much.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 22:17:03 »

I can do the study here and now:

START OF STUDY
It's needed.
END OF STUDY

There we are! Now, what was that? - ^2.5 million? Grin

Seriously, ^2.5 million is a waste of money. We as a country need to stop these stupid "studies"! (the French have, why can't we?)
willc

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 00:27:30 »

It's not some sort of vague study of the desirability of the idea. As the DafT announcement makes clear, this is a proper detailed engineering evaluation, as part of the Network Rail Grip process, which will take the whole thing up to Grip Stage 4, where you fix the final option for the work, before you get the money in place and move on to the final design stage (ie where the Cotswold Line is now, at stage 5) and get out on the ground to do the work (which is stage 6, where the Cotwold Line will be from the summer).

And I expect Swindon and Wiltshire councils will also be expecting serious consideration to be given at this stage of the process to their aspiration to have a new station built to serve the north-west of the town or just beyond it at Purton.

It may look like a lot of money but in the context of the overall bill for the Cotswold Line scheme (estimated at^48m-^105m depending on who you believe) it's a drop in the ocean.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 00:53:30 by willc » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: