Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:04:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon to Kemble re-doubling - ongoing discussion and updates  (Read 290524 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 22:05:15 »

Indeed: good news, Railfriend - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

(By the way, I am aware that we have a slight duplication on the topics of 'Kemble to Swindon re-doubling' and 'Swindon to Kemble re-doubling': I'll deal with that 'in due course'! Roll Eyes )

In the meantime - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Funding agreed for railway works

Funding has been secured to turn the railway line between Swindon and Kemble from single-track to a two-way service.

A meeting of the Transport and Infrastructure Board gave its approval for the ^30m ahead of final approval from the Department of Transport. The work will remove the bottleneck on the Cheltenham to London route.

A Gloucestershire County Council spokesman said the council and local community had worked hard to get the improvements through. Councillor Stan Waddington added: "We know just how big an improvement this will bring to rail travellers and to businesses right across Gloucestershire."

The Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) for the Cotswolds, Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, has been campaigning for the line to be upgraded for more than 10 years. "It's good news for the businesses, an all-round a win-win situation. I hope we can turn the funding into action and get the work carried out over the next few years," he said.

The ^30m has become available because the Westbury bypass in Wiltshire is no longer going ahead. But the council needed the support of the South West Strategic Leaders' Board to guarantee the funding - which it got on Thursday.

The track from Kemble to Swindon is part of the Stroud Valley line, which links Gloucestershire and surrounding counties with London and the South East.

It branches from the Birmingham to Bristol main line south of Gloucester, and joins the Great Western Railway route from south Wales to London at Swindon.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Railfriend

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:44 »

Has anyone heard any more news on how the Grip4 study on Swindon-Kemble is going?  I've heard something about the study being due for presentation to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) by the end of March, but maybe others have more definite news on this?  Have any of the Cheltenham/Gloucester/Stroud travellers noticed Network Rail crews on the Swindon-Kemble section during their trips?  I travel London to Stroud often, but haven't seen any activity beside the track.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 13:59:06 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Study puts cost of Kemble to Swindon rail plan at ^52m

The cost of converting the railway line between Kemble and Swindon into a dual track will be about ^52m, a Network Rail feasibility study has shown. The estimate is ^7m over the amount of cash already committed to the project by the government.
Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) for the Cotswolds, Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, said he is concerned the shortfall will delay the scheme.
The Department for Transport has yet to comment on Mr Clifton-Brown's claims.
The MP has called for an adjournment debate in the Commons to press for an early decision on the work.
"I had [information] from Chris Mole, the transport minister, which indicates that Network Rail's latest costing is ^52.4m and the committed funding is ^45m, so theoretically there's a 7m gap," he said. "I am deeply concerned that the government are not going to find that money and are going to leave a decision on this till after the election. If we don't get a decision to get this slotted in now, the cross rail project's going to start, the upgrading of Reading station's going to start and I think all the money and skills will be committed to those very big rail projects, so this is very serious."
Doubling the line from single-track to a two-way service will remove the bottleneck on the Cheltenham to London route.
A spokeswoman for Network Rail said: "We believe that the Swindon-Kemble project offers good value for money and our proposal has a robust business case. We want to maximise the benefits for passengers and we will continue to work hard on seeking full support from the government."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 15:27:34 »

From thisisgloucestershire:

Glimmer of hope for Kemble Swindon re-doubling rail plan

A funding gap that threatens vital rail improvements in Gloucestershire has narrowed, the Government has revealed. And efforts are continuing to be made to close it further, insist ministers.

The update on the dualling of the Swindon to Kemble track came during a Parliamentary debate into the scheme, secured by Tory MP (Member of Parliament) for the Cotswolds, Geoffrey Clifton-Brown.

The project is seen as critical to the county's economy and a 'gateway' to the region. The current single track limits the reliability and frequency of trains on the line, which is vital for access to London.

Westminster had heard that while there was ^45 million available for the scheme, a feasibility study had priced the project at ^52.4 million ^ a shortfall of ^7.4 million. But yesterday Rail Minister Chris Mole revealed that this gap had been reduced by ^2.6 million after taking off the cost of the feasibility study. Further options were being examined to cut costs further, including contracting arrangements and offsetting the future cost of maintenance on the current single-track line, MPs heard.

He also agreed with the suggestion made by MPs that using the same team working on redoubling the north Cotswold line could save money.

Mr Mole was confident the cost could be brought down even further. Network Rail was due to report back in June on the latest costings. "If a positive result is forthcoming, I hope a deal can be struck," said Mr Mole.

But he said issues remained, including the "formidable challenge" posed by the existing track layout. However, he acknowledged the importance of the scheme. "I recognise redoubling the line is a regional priority which could facilitate growth."

Mr Clifton-Brown said, "We are getting there", but he warned: "The longer we take to try to find funding, the more it will cost."

Highlighting the cross-party support for the scheme, Mr Clifton-Brown said: "Doubling this track would provide a significant extra benefit. Many of my constituents fail to understand why a scheme with ministerial support has failed to progress. There's a clear window of opportunity if the go-ahead is given soon."

Skills and equipment could easily be transferred from the North Cotswold line.

Labour MP for Stroud, David Drew, agreed. He said: "We need to know now that the team will come over from the Cotswold line, and that has to be the absolute priority."

In November, more than 800 individuals and 60 local businesses had signed an online petition, launched by Gloucestershire County Council.

If the money is finally agreed, the redoubling scheme could start in ^ or even before ^ 2011.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 23:38:35 »

I can't quite understand what the "formidable challenge posed by the existing track layout" might be. At either end it's a straight forward double to single connection isn't it? What am I missing?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 13:30:51 »

I would have thought a piddling amount like that could easily be absorbed by the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification program funds under the 'benefits it would bring as a diversionary route during that work' banner?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
willc

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 21:47:10 »

Should anyone want to read the Hansard report of the debate, it starts on this page http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm100406/halltext/100406h0007.htm then click on the next section link to read the rest
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 22:57:42 »

Thanks, willc.  Wink

John R - the reference to the 'formidable challenge' is here, in that Hansard record:

Network Rail is undertaking an evaluation of the earthworks and associated structures on the Swindon to Kemble line, in particular the disused sections where only minimal maintenance has been carried out since the line was singled. There is also a need to determine the most efficient means of bringing a number of level crossings up to modern standards. Much of the present single line is laid along the centre line of the old double track formation. That makes for a slightly more formidable challenge in redoubling compared to a situation where the single track takes up just one of the paths of the old lines. In December 2009, Network Rail concluded that, on the evidence available, redoubling the 13-mile section of route would cost ^52.4 million, reduced from a previous and less sophisticated calculation of ^62 million.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 23:39:00 »

Thanks to both Will and Chris for solving the mystery.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010, 22:03:35 »

I too watched the Westminster Hall debate (ch 81) (link given above).

Govt seems peculiarly ineffective when the Minister (Mole) wrung his hands over the funding shortfalls from the various lower levels of Govt (RDA (Regional Development Agency)'s and CC's) and  speculated whether Wales or the EU» (European Union - about) could be touched for chip-ins towards the 7M shortfall. There are now so many overlapping bodies all with little bits of money and influence that any positive outcome is pure chance....

Problems raised included the previous slewing of the single track across the track-bed, meaning that both tracks would need replacing. Also LC (Level Crossing)'s were a point of debate as they are against modern standards and "grandfather" rights on existing routes have to be fought for.

The cost of about 52M/12.5 miles double track is at least an improvement on the Lewes - Uckfield absurd figure of 140M/7.5 miles single track!

When Phillip Rees (then WR CCE - he deserves a statue next to Brunel)) wanted to upgrade the South Wales line from Wootton Basset in 1975, he closed it completely for months, dug it out to a depth of about 2m, re-opening on time at 125 mph. Perhaps that way is also the cheapest.

OTC

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 19:19:51 by onthecushions » Logged
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 20:09:36 »

When Phillip Rees (then WR CCE - he deserves a statue next to Brunel)) wanted to upgrade the South Wales line from Wootten Basset in 1975, he closed it completely for months, dug it out to a depth of about 2m, re-opening on time at 125 mph. Perhaps that way is also the cheapest.

OTC

Thats the beauty of a piece of line with no stations to serve (if you discount Bristol Parkway)  Divert all trains via Bath and people can connect to cross country services to get to Parkway at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).  That said there wouldn't have been the huge franchise/contractural issues then that there would be if you tried to do it today.  It's the best way to do major renewals unfortunately its at the expense of a 7 day railway.  Sad

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 21:42:43 »

When Phillip Rees (then WR CCE - he deserves a statue next to Brunel)) wanted to upgrade the South Wales line from Wootten Basset in 1975, he closed it completely for months, dug it out to a depth of about 2m, re-opening on time at 125 mph. Perhaps that way is also the cheapest.

OTC

Thats the beauty of a piece of line with no stations to serve (if you discount Bristol Parkway)  Divert all trains via Bath and people can connect to cross country services to get to Parkway at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).  That said there wouldn't have been the huge franchise/contractural issues then that there would be if you tried to do it today.  It's the best way to do major renewals unfortunately its at the expense of a 7 day railway.  Sad

There aren't that many stations between Swindon and Kemble.

If I were a Cheltenham line user or even FGW (First Great Western) as franchisee, I might rather go via Yate for 6 months for the long term benefit of a proper service (and likely electrification).

A 7-day railway means being able to do quite serious work like relaying, overnight, like BR (British Rail(ways)) used to, including dynamic tamping, so that re-opening next am is at line speed. It is silly to spend half the possession doing "paperwork", then laboriously assembling track parts on site, rather than prefabricating panels at day rates etc.

The BR way to re-double would possibly have been to slew the present line back and then relay the second track, all using overnight possessions. 12.5 route miles would  probably have needed about 30 nights.

Just some idle thoughts...

Regards,

OTC
willc

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 23:04:00 »

The BR (British Rail(ways)) way to re-double would possibly have been to slew the present line back and then relay the second track, all using overnight possessions. 12.5 route miles would  probably have needed about 30 nights.

Which is effectively what they are doing on the Cotswold Line, once the main phase of tracklaying gets under way. Track was repositioned in various places last summer or renewed to one side of the formation to allow this.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 19:42:08 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) (27/07/2010):

MP (Member of Parliament) says Kemble to Swindon railway upgrade is in doubt

Cheltenham MP Martin Horwood has said the Kemble to Swindon railway line upgrade is in doubt, after he met Transport Minister Theresa Villiers.

A feasibility study by Network Rail has shown converting the line into a dual track would cost about ^52m.

The Liberal Democrat MP said there were "clearly threats" to the project because of proposed cuts to the government's transport budget.

Ms Villiers said all transport spending had to be assessed "with great care".

The previous government had committed ^45m to the project.

Mr Horwood said the rail plan was "clearly a candidate for cuts".

He said: "We need to demonstrate lots of support for this project to make sure it still goes ahead."

Remove bottleneck

Mr Horwood was joined by other Gloucestershire MPs in meeting the minister. He said he hoped politicians from other areas affected by the railway line would join their fight. "The point we were making is this is a very important project for Gloucestershire, for local business, for green growth. This is the kind of investment in the public transport system we really want to see if this government is to live up to its claims to be the greenest government ever." He said the minister told him she did not yet know the scale of the cuts in her department, but that he left the meeting feeling that there was a "50/50" chance of the project going ahead. "We aren't going to know for a while," he said.

Ms Villiers told BBC Gloucestershire: "I recognise the benefits that doubling the Swindon to Kemble line could bring. However, the pressing need to tackle the public finance position inherited from the previous government means that we have to assess all transport spending with great care to ascertain what projects are affordable."

Doubling the line from single-track to a two-way service would remove the bottleneck on the Cheltenham to London route.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2010, 23:15:25 »

Thanks goodness the Cotswold redoubling was already underway before the election!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: