Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:02:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon to Kemble re-doubling - ongoing discussion and updates  (Read 290567 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2011, 07:19:20 »

In the budget speech:

"1305: ^100m will be added to the science budget, Mr Osborne says. ^200m extra will be invested in regional railways - including schemes in Manchester, and Swindon to Kemble. ...."

More detailed question that someone posed to me:   "If the Swindon -> Kemble section is a scheme (in part) to provide improved diversionary robustness during electrification of the Severn Tunnel, does this announcement also include other much smaller items such as re-instating the link from Bradford North Junction to Bradford East Junction to allow for diversions during the electrification of Box Tunnel?"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2011, 10:36:23 »

Much as we might like to see that chord reinstated, I suspect that a diversion via Bristol Parkway will be quicker and requires no additional infrastructure.  The additional signalling for 2 junctions would probably be quite expensive.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:15 »

I suspect the surveys would need doing again?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2011, 10:56:55 »

... I suspect that a diversion via Bristol Parkway will be quicker and requires no additional infrastructure ...

True, but it then means that you've got to make alternative arrangements for "Chippenham Platform" and "Bath Halt".  Oh - wait - they can be quite busy  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2011, 11:10:22 »

True, but it then means that you've got to make alternative arrangements for "Chippenham Platform" and "Bath Halt".  Oh - wait - they can be quite busy  Wink
Exactly, though Bath passengers can be served by sending some Bristol to London services via the Berks and Hants. Chippenham served by a more frequent Transwilts services to connect at either Swindon or Westbury for London.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2011, 12:09:27 »

Exactly, though Bath passengers can be served by sending some Bristol to London services via the Berks and Hants. Chippenham served by a more frequent Transwilts services to connect at either Swindon or Westbury for London.

Yes - there's a degree of sense in that ... running Temple Meads services hourly via Trowbridge and via Badminton.  Hourly TransWilts (each way) at those times (3 train service rather than the proposed 2, Swindon to Salisbury) with connections at Trowbridge and Swindon for London [for Chippenham and Melksham passengers].  Doesn't do great things for Chippenham to Bath and Bristol passengers - need to watch the connections at Trowbridge!

chris from stroud

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2011, 23:18:40 »

I only posted this one, as my own: there is no such publication as the Kemble Chronicle.

CfN.  Wink Cheesy Grin

With articles like that, why on earth not? Tongue

I may head out to Kemble tomorrow to get a few photos of the current state of the line beyond Kemble tunnel. I'm quite intrigued as to how they're going to manage with the level crossing at Minety.

Guaranteed line improvements wherever I go (with the exception of Salcombe, which never had one to begin with Tongue): Falmouth, The Cotswolds and Stroud. Melksham or Tavistock next, then?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2011, 00:02:13 »

How so?

You can either adopt the Chiltern approach being used in places on Oxford-Bicester and apply for closure - but I'm not sure how workable that would be at Minety, as it would require one heck of a detour - or you just put in a new crossing with barriers.

Don't be deceived by how things look there at present. When someone sets to work on vegetation clearance, you may be surprised just how much room there is on that old broad gauge trackbed. This is the cutting just west of Charlbury station in 2004 http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/pictures/oxfordshire_galleries/cotswoldline2009/view/gallery_105411.Cotswold_Line_redoubling/
and this is what it looks like now  http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/pictures/oxfordshire_galleries/cotswoldline2009/view/gallery_193143.Cotswold_Line_redoubling/

And I had a good chuckle when I saw the suggestion in the caption of one of the pictures in this gallery http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/Kemble.htm that the old crossing keeper's cottage might have to be demolished for redoubling. Compared with Clayfield, west of Honeybourne, that house is a country mile from the line. At Clayfield, the wall of the house is right up against the trackbed and the new track will run right next to it - I'll try to remember to get a picture showing its position if I pass that way over the weekend.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2011, 18:12:14 »

This is what i mean about the position of the house at Clayfield, alongside the Cotswold Line:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willc2009/5582556146/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2011, 20:40:43 »

Hmm ... they may well have to reposition those satellite dishes!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2011, 08:01:50 »

More detailed question that someone posed to me:   "If the Swindon -> Kemble section is a scheme (in part) to provide improved diversionary robustness during electrification of the Severn Tunnel, does this announcement also include other much smaller items such as re-instating the link from Bradford North Junction to Bradford East Junction to allow for diversions during the electrification of Box Tunnel?"
Nothing to special about Box Tunnel relatively short, dry and it is straight and level. 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
willc

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2011, 09:08:43 »

Straight perhaps, but I think you'll find it has a 1 in 100 gradient through it, falling towards the Bath end.

Hmm ... they may well have to reposition those satellite dishes!

I would be more worried about that post for the electricity supply, which has somehow been placed inside the railway boundary.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:56:26 by willc » Logged
chris from stroud

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2011, 19:12:08 »

At last, I've got some photos! You are indeed right willc, the house by Minety crossing is in no danger whatsoever. The road could do with a fair bit of work, mind.

Feast your eyes here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gloucestershirerail/
 Smiley

Guaranteed line improvements wherever I go (with the exception of Salcombe, which never had one to begin with Tongue): Falmouth, The Cotswolds and Stroud. Melksham or Tavistock next, then?
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2011, 13:00:48 »

The local Gloucestershire paper has an interesting report yesterday on page 12. The go-ahead for the redoubling will allow the introduction of EXPRESS trains on the Swindon/Gloucester/Cheltenham line - complete with nice pic of an HST (High Speed Train)......

Where do they get this stuff?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2011, 13:05:21 »

Oooh, non stop swindon-gloucester, how useful!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: