Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
17th Apr (2010)
Formation Committee Meeting, TransWilts CRP (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 17, 2024, 00:25:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 'West' fleet refurbishment  (Read 13577 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2007, 20:30:50 »

Seeing yet more pictures, following on from their 159/1s, of brand new looking refurbished SWT (South West Trains) 158s on various railway websites this past week being rolled out from Wabtec works in Doncaster serves only to rub it in even more for FGW (First Great Western) passengers who continue to have put up with tatty unrefurbished rolling stock.

Remind me who's new franchise started first FGW's or SWT's Huh

We keep hearing about this 'refresh' that the 'West' fleet is going to receive. Is it ever going to happen? Why can one franchise get this sorted out even before their new franchise started yet over a year into it's franchise FGW havent replaced a single seat cover?

However, I have heard in FGW's defence that DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) may be behind some of this delay with their continued meddling of who gets what stock.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 21:53:13 »

FGW (First Great Western) are busy with the HST (High Speed Train) refresh. Don't expect too much  Grin
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 00:33:07 »

FGW (First Great Western) are busy with the HST (High Speed Train) refresh. Don't expect too much  Grin

^63 Million IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) goes to High Speed - look how much local gets, ^0!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 09:45:27 »

Well, they are planning to give the local fleet a face lift. When is a different question.
Scooby

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 12:10:01 »

The unit fleet 'refresh' will start very soon, a class 158 will 'go in' mid July and emerge mid August in the new look. The fleet will get 'refreshed' interiours hence vinyling of the 150s has stopped and will only be done when they get the full job. 150261 should be the first 150 to be done in September.....
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 13:03:51 »

The unit fleet 'refresh' will start very soon, a class 158 will 'go in' mid July and emerge mid August in the new look. The fleet will get 'refreshed' interiours hence vinyling of the 150s has stopped and will only be done when they get the full job. 150261 should be the first 150 to be done in September.....
Well thats something I suppose but im sure you would agree its taking a long time in getting this 'refresh' job underway, almost a year and a half since FGW (First Great Western) took over the Wessex franchise. It looks like SWT (South West Trains) jumped the queue by getting all the three car 158s and two car 158s into the workshop before taking ownership of them from TPX. By the time the first 'refreshed' FGW set finally rolls out, SWT's fleet of 158s will already be well into service. That was the main reason for posting was the appearance that once again this franchise seems to have less of a priority than others.

Thanks for the update though.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 09:25:11 »

I belive the HST (High Speed Train) refurbs were booked as soon as FGW (First Great Western) got the franchise, o yes, ^63 Million of it, shows how much "Auntie Alison" cares about the local fleet, until she realised that they will HAVE to be done Roll Eyes

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 18:09:44 »

I belive the HST (High Speed Train) refurbs were booked as soon as FGW (First Great Western) got the franchise, o yes, ^63 Million of it, shows how much "Auntie Alison" cares about the local fleet, until she realised that they will HAVE to be done Roll Eyes

Oh yes of course they were booked in as soon they won the franchise Jim, probably a bit before that. Didnt stop the first set rolling out almost a year after they won the franchise though did it  Wink

I wonder if Alison has ever had the privilege of travelling on any of her 'West Fleet' just to see how good they really are. I think a trip in a 143 would make a good experience for her. The 7.23 from Warminster to Cardiff would be a good one, especially when it's thrashing along at 75mph under the Severn Tunnel! Grin
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 07:25:55 »

I wonder if Alison has ever had the privilege of travelling on any of her 'West Fleet' just to see how good they really are. I think a trip in a 143 would make a good experience for her. The 7.23 from Warminster to Cardiff would be a good one, especially when it's thrashing along at 75mph under the Severn Tunnel! Grin

She should be shouting "Hellfire"! Wink

Cheers
Jim Smiley
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 08:22:50 »

The refurb isn't all good mind: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6702869.stm
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 17:32:07 »

Not good at all, they sure need to sort that out pretty quick.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 12:41:12 »

Not good at all, they sure need to sort that out pretty quick.

This is a "125" rather than "West Fleet" issue, I think?

I happened to be able to travel 1st class to London yesterday and back - just 1.50 extra ... an had a chance to try out the older and the newer trains.   Pictures / comment here

In summary, the older train was MUCH more comfortable, and the newly refurbished train had some teething and design problems - a broken recliner already, and power sockets that don't leave spaces for many bigger plugs. But the fac that an entire carriage was taped out of service on the older train does show the need to do something.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 02:29:09 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 14:12:57 »

Duff link?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 19:35:34 »

The link works ... perhaps I went a bit off topic by going into the technology behind these things and advertising myself.

Note to Lee and Nick (Global Moderators) - if you feel I overstepped the mark, please feel free to delete my adverpost!

Graham

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 21:56:55 »

Says I need to login to view and am not an authorised user...I'd find it interesting to see the comparisons, as I've never been first class yet and would love to see the difference between old vs new. Wink
EDIT: I found the working link on the other thread here. A very interesting read!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 21:58:30 by Graz » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: