Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:20:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Social engineering - major changes in way of life cause by rail changes  (Read 27994 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 13:39:39 »

While I sympathise with Mandy and Sam's situation, the direct service was always regarded as experimental, so perhaps not the best thing to build one's life around.

In a way willc is right perhaps one shouldn't build one's travelling habits around an experimental service.

However, that rather puts the dampner on any new through journey possibilities.  It's hardly condusive to building  up use on any new service to say: "Beware this is an experimental service it might be withdrawn at any time so don't change your travelling habits to make use of it"

If this mantra had been applied to the Bristol Oxfords and the enhanced Melksham services I'm sure any potential users would not have bothered to start using them in case they provided too convinient a service upon which they might become dependant. Thus ensuring they failed quickly and disappeared, so they shouldn't have been started in the first place.

Which logically means we are stuck with the current pattern of services because you can't start an experimental service because you have to tell people it may be withdrawn at any time, so don't bother using it, hard luck!

Still it's good to know you can still do Great Malvern -  Warminster (or somewhere in that area) must be far more popular than Bristol - Oxford or Melksham - Swindon.

I was always suprised that the Paignton Meastegs didn't attract more through traffic.

oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 03:47:33 »

I think there is cause for a new service calling Pinling, Melksham, Coombe Junction, serving the places that dont deserve a service....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 04:52:38 »

While I sympathise with Mandy and Sam's situation, the direct service was always regarded as experimental, so perhaps not the best thing to build one's life around.

In a way willc is right perhaps one shouldn't build one's travelling habits around an experimental service.

However, that rather puts the dampner on any new through journey possibilities.  It's hardly condusive to building  up use on any new service to say: "Beware this is an experimental service it might be withdrawn at any time so don't change your travelling habits to make use of it"

If this mantra had been applied to the Bristol Oxfords and the enhanced Melksham services I'm sure any potential users would not have bothered to start using them in case they provided too convinient a service upon which they might become dependant. Thus ensuring they failed quickly and disappeared, so they shouldn't have been started in the first place.

Which logically means we are stuck with the current pattern of services because you can't start an experimental service because you have to tell people it may be withdrawn at any time, so don't bother using it, hard luck!

Picking up on an old thread that has been re-opened here ... I think these views expressed show just how "experimental" service are almost set up to fail.

From 2001 through 2006, I made extensive use of the enhanced "TransWilts" service and indeed much of my work was based around it, as it brought some 40% of the customers to the business I work for into Melksham - a town of some 24,000 people.  But the loss of the practical long distance connections at a suitable time of day (from London you can now leave at 17:30 and arrive at 19:11, or on the last train of the night from Paddington and sleep on the platform at Swindon - and those are you ONLY choices to Melksham!)  renders it impractical for the business visitor.

Could it have done better?  Yes, of course it could - plenty of other material is availoable that talks of advertising and reliability.  But the irony is that it DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) do well and a service that was an experimental success with a huge growth in traffic, and huge ongoing potential - was cut off  by remote decisions which were, to say the least, controvertial and didn't yake full account of the real situation on the ground.

Some of the very long distance through services are more of an operational convenience than a  requirement for specific traffic flows; if you were to label Warminster to Malvern as "experimental" and split the route at - say - Bristol in the future I'm not sure how much traffic you would loose.   But there is a case of "once bitten, twice shy" that could make the building up of traffic again from the various places mentioned a bit more difficult.   But, given a good service and a committment for a number of years, only a bit more difficult - with enthusiasm and a bandwagon rolling, and a blossoming population (certainly in the case of West Wilts) the past would soon be forgot, save as a lesson in keeping an eye on a valued service and ensuring that cuts with dubious fondadtion are not applied again.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 22:39:49 »

There is a major need for rail companies, FGW (First Great Western) in particular, to consider routes, time tables and capacity at different points of the network.

Too much emphasis exists on getting people into major centres, whilst many communities and potential routes are not served well.

Whilst it is not possible to please everyone, surely it would be possible run a frequent DPW service from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))/Bath to allow regular connections for Oxford? Nearly every Paddington bound train from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) stops at DPW, surely BTM trains could.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 18:19:42 »

Looking through the list of "Most read topics ever", I was surprised to find this thread in the top 10, and felt it was worth a revisit "bump" for our newer members.

And ... looking at it, perhaps the metrics have slewed and following simonw's last post, the far better performance of FGW (First Great Western) in the last year or two makes a service that runs every half hour Oxford -> Didcot, and a service that runs every half hour Didcot -> Bristol Temple Meads far more attractive if the connections are good.

But on the other hand, I look at our "Oxford to the West" board and it is sadly quiet. Perhaps social engineering has been achieved by changing a train service.  Any thoughts, anyone?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: