Short Run
21:25 Evesham to London Paddington
24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 23:16:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[107] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[65] Death of another bus station?
[44] "Mayflower"
[38] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stonehouse station - incidents, services and improvements  (Read 15749 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 03, 2008, 23:23:21 »

"Gloucestershire residents are being warned to brace themselves for a deluge on Friday. The Met Office has issued a warning for heavy rain on Friday, predicting a 60 per cent chance of disruption in Gloucestershire.

Most of the rain will fall throughout the day on Friday but it is falling on sodden ground so there is the potential for surface water flooding in the usual places like Tredworth Road bridge and the railway bridge in Stonehouse."

For full details, see http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/latestnews/2-05pm-Gloucestershire-weather-warning/article-305231-detail/article.html

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 18:00:39 »

From the British Transport Police press release:

APPEAL FOR INFORMATION AND CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) IMAGES RELEASED AFTER ASSAULT ON TRAIN GUARD - STONEHOUSE

British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) is appealing for the public^s help to identify two youths officers want to speak to in connection with an assault on train guard at Stonehouse railway station.

Shortly after midnight on Saturday 5 September, a group of eight youths, aged about 14-15, boarded the 23.33hrs Swindon-Gloucester service at Stroud railway station.

One of the group was seen smoking on the train and the guard asked him to stop. The youth refused and all of the group also refused to buy tickets for their journey when asked by the guard.

When the youths alighted at Stonehouse railway station, the guard told police that one of them deliberately bumped into him while others verbally abused him.

Although the guard was not injured, he was left shaken by the incident.

As the train pulled away from Stonehouse, it was hit by a number of stones which were believed to have been thrown by the members of the same group of youths.

Officers believe the two youths in the attached CCTV images can assist them with their enquiries.

Anyone who knows the identity of the youths is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40, quoting incident number 24 of 05/09/2009.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 13:52:55 »

From the Stroud News and Journal:

A cheery group of nearly 30 volunteers gathered in Stonehouse clad in fluorescent vests and armed with litter pickers on Monday morning.

The crowd did not seem to mind giving up their bank holiday to rid the streets of rubbish, such as discarded food wrappers and cans.

Organised jointly by Stonehouse Live and community centre All Pulling Together in Park Parade, the day was seen as an opportunity for the two organisations to work together.

Founder member of Stonehouse Live, John Aldis, said: "It is just something we do each year to try and clean the town up. It is all about civic pride ^ getting people to care about the area they live in. We are very excited to have the opportunity to work with All Pulling Together."

Three teams were dispersed with black bin bags to the High Street, along the railway line and to the train station.

The old, the young, and the councillors were out in force, including former Stroud MP (Member of Parliament) David Drew who sits on Stonehouse Town Council and Cllr Phil Bevan, Stroud District Council^s representative for the town.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 18:53:55 »

From the British Transport Police press release:

British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) officers are appealing for information following a number of incidents which have taken place at Stonehouse railway station in Gloucestershire.

Between Monday 27 February and Friday 20 April, the station has been targeted overnight on seven different occasions.

Investigators said all of the incidents have taken place overnight, at some stage between 11pm and 5.30am, when the station is unstaffed.

Small fires have been started on four separate occasions, while the station has also suffered graffiti on two occasions.

And in another incident, faeces were smeared on the ticket office door at the station.

PC Luke Davis, of BTP, said: ^Enquiries, including making house-to-house enquiries and viewing local CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) images, have been ongoing since the first graffiti incident occurred on Monday 27 February.

^I am now appealing for anyone who lives near the station, and who may have seen any suspicious behaviour, or anyone hanging around the station, to come forward with information.

^All of these incidents have taken place late at night, or in the early hours of the morning, so we really need the local community^s help to trace those responsible.

^If you have seen or heard anything unusual in the vicinity of Stonehouse station, then please do contact BTP in confidence. Your information, no matter how small, may be the key to tracing those responsible for these attacks on your community.^

Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on Freefone 0800 40 50 40 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. In all calls, please quote incident reference B2/WWA of 26/04/2012.

Notes to Editors:

Offence details:

20 April ^ arson, damage to benches in waiting shelter

7 April - faeces smeared on ticket office door

4 April ^ arson, scorch marks/fire damage to window frame

2 April - arson, newspapers set alight inside shelter. No damage to shelter

31 March - arson, piles of newspapers set alight. No damage to station

5 March - graffiti

27 February - graffiti

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 22:09:11 »

From the Citizen:

Anger after fires, graffiti and faeces attacks at Stonehouse station

Disgusting and ongoing hooliganism at Stonehouse Railway Station has sparked a major investigation by British Transport Police.

The night-time vandalism and anti-social behaviour has even included faeces smeared on a door and has prompted house-to-house inquiries in the town to try and catch the culprits. The rail police have also asked nearby residents to be their eyes and ears in the hunt for the offenders.

"Obviously it is unacceptable behaviour and quite disgusting for staff members to be faced with foul excrement," said PC Luke Davis from British Transport Police. "I am now appealing for anyone who may have seen any suspicious behaviour or anyone hanging around the station, to come forward with information," PC Davis said. "We really need the local community's help to trace those responsible," he said.

CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) images from Stonehouse Station are also being reviewed since the first incident of criminal damage at the end of February.

Altogether, PC Davis said, there have been seven incidents between February 27 and April 20. All happened in the early hours, between 11pm and 5.30am, when the station was unstaffed. Small fires were started on four separate occasions, and the station suffered from graffiti on two nights. On April 7 faeces were found smeared on the ticket office door.

Stonehouse Railway Station, which is between Burdett Road and Upper Queen's Road, always had kids hanging around it, one resident said.
There are bus shelter-like structures on the platform which are open to abuse, said the householder, who did not wish to be named.

Stonehouse Town Council member John Aldis said there was a need for provision for young people in the area since Gloucestershire County Council axed the youth club and youth worker in the town. And money ring fenced for a new youth club was lost, Mr Aldis said.

The town council is, however, looking at how to move forward and provide something for its teenagers, he said. "We want to enable young people to do something they want to do rather than cause problems like the vandalism that is beginning to happen," said Mr Aldis.

Already a youth partnership and youth forum are involved, a youth charity is coming into Stonehouse two evenings a week and there is a youngsters drop-in.

"This is also doing something towards civic pride," he said. There had been litter picks, including at the station, and a number of people had said they'd volunteer to help tidy up, Mr Aldis said.

Town clerk in Stonehouse, Richard Lacey, said co-incidentally a long overdue meeting with railways managers to discuss a possible "adopt a station" scheme was due to take place today.

To report anything, call BTP (British Transport Police) in confidence on 0800 49 50 40 or ring the Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 quoting incident reference B2/WWA of April 26, 2012.

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:42 »

I suppose Mods have noticed this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-22024705?

I also notice we don't have a Bristol to Birmingham thread in 'Journey by Journey (?? perhaps missed it) so I have posted here, which seems appropriate anyway.

On the subject itself I gather a developer tried to get PP for a railway site there but was refused.  I am not sure if Mr Drew (was the MP (Member of Parliament) and hopes to be again) is referring to the same site.

The old MR (Midland Railway) site was the most convenient as it has an existing overbridge and footpath to the industrial area on the west side of the line and also from it to the housing on the east side.

So it won't be planned there then!!   Angry

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:40:34 by swrural » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 23:02:04 »

I suppose Mods have noticed this article.

I noticed it - and I'm not convinced as to the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s accuracy in their reporting:

The site, on the outskirts of the town, is currently used as a transport training area, and is owned by the British Rail Property Board.

I don't think so: see http://www.brbr.co.uk/

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:50:07 »

CfN

I looked up your link which was just the home page but I managed to go in on the Property listing and searched on 'Stonehouse'.  Result, Sold, apparently.  Is that what you were referring to?  If so, I suspect this is the land that the developer wanted to build on but was refused, although I cannot remember where I read that now, not long ago anyway.

I understand that some were suggesting a site in the V of the lines diverging from what I knew as Standish Junction.  If that is where Mr Drew is talking about, it would seem less convenient to Stonehouse, than the original site which has nice footpath access, as well as for cars, as i described.  GE and GSV reveals all; look for the footbridge over the 'Bristol and Gloucester' (I love using these old terms, it was Broad Gauge was it not?).
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:34 »

CfN

I looked up your link which was just the home page but I managed to go in on the Property listing and searched on 'Stonehouse'.  Result, Sold, apparently.  Is that what you were referring to?  If so, I suspect this is the land that the developer wanted to build on but was refused, although I cannot remember where I read that now, not long ago anyway.

I understand that some were suggesting a site in the V of the lines diverging from what I knew as Standish Junction.  If that is where Mr Drew is talking about, it would seem less convenient to Stonehouse, than the original site which has nice footpath access, as well as for cars, as i described.  GE and GSV reveals all; look for the footbridge over the 'Bristol and Gloucester' (I love using these old terms, it was Broad Gauge was it not?).

Agree the V is not an ideal site, but nor is the old site if that only has access by footpath or a long way round by road.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 14:08:47 »

No, it isn't a long way around by road, take a look.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 22:24:41 »

CfN

I looked up your link which was just the home page but I managed to go in on the Property listing and searched on 'Stonehouse'.  Result, Sold, apparently.  Is that what you were referring to? 

No, swrural: the only point I was trying to make was over the inaccuracy of the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) in suggesting that the land (whatever plot it happens to be!) was owned by the British Rail Property BoardThey were replaced by BRB(resolve) (Residuary) Ltd years ago - and they, in turn, may well have sold on any land (whatever plot it happens to be!) in subsequent years.  Roll Eyes

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 22:48:58 »

Ah!  I see.  I have a friend (a lady) who worked for them (BRPB).

It'll be nice to see where exactly they are all talking about.  I think it's 'mt site'.  I may delve into Stroud Council docs, as I expect they will have an officer report somewhere.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 11:49:43 »

From Stroud News and Journal:

Plans for Stonehouse to Bristol railway screech to a halt

Plans for a railway station in Stonehouse which could provide a direct route to Bristol have screeched to a halt.

The town council^s proposal for the re-opening of the railway line was given a second chance in January when it made it through to a final list of priority schemes vying for part of a ^9.8 million grant from the Gloucestershire Local Transport Board.

Trains that currently run through Stonehouse station only go to Swindon and London, although there is a line in place to Bristol which officially closed in 1964.

According to Stonehouse town councillor Teresa Watt there has been an ^increasing need for a direct train from Bristol to Stonehouse^ as a result of the growing industrial opportunities in the town.

In July last year the grant was distributed between four schemes ^ the A40 bus lane at Benhall, A40 Over roundabout and Highnam Lodge improvements, A40 bus corridor west of Cheltenham and Cheltenham Spa station.

However, the Cheltenham Spa scheme was subsequently withdrawn leaving ^3.3 million to be redistributed.

At a meeting yesterday, Wednesday, the board decided to share the remaining money equally between three schemes ^ the Abbeymead/Metz Way corridor improvements, a re-submitted scheme for Cheltenham Spa railway station and the Gloucester central transport hub.

Cllr Vernon Smith, chairman of the Gloucestershire Local Transport Board, said: ^It was a very difficult decision for the board to make and I wish we had more money available to distribute to the excellent schemes which had been put forward to the board for consideration. I^d like to wish them all the best of luck and I look forward to watching them grow.^

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 14:06:27 »

Another piece of typically inaccurate local reporting which even a small amount of research could have corrected.  Apart from the photograph, which is some distance  from Stonehouse (Yeovil Pen Mill?), the railway from Stonehouse to Bristol is still very much open.  It was the Stonehouse station on it that closed in 1964 and the re-opening of which is the subject of the campaign.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 14:35:29 »

Agreed, rogerw: I've therefore taken the opportunity to move and merge a couple of existing topics here, in the interests of continuity and completeness.  Smiley

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: