Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 18:56:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[319] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[49] Cornish delays
[47] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[26] Where have I been?
[26] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Morning Cross Country changes  (Read 12539 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2008, 16:49:37 »

To those of you who might catch the 0856 Cross Country arrival into Bristol Temple Meads, from Nailsea, Yatton, Weston, Taunton etc. (0640 Plymouth - Aberdeen) From tomorrow, this will be an HST (High Speed Train) with 7 coaches and will now go all the way to Aberdeen.

I will be interested to see how punctual this will be!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 16:52:31 »

Wow, get's better and better. I shall have to get that tomorrow. A 5th morning HST (High Speed Train) from Nailsea into Bristol. It's usually very punctual, and indeed stands for 2 mins at Nailsea most mornings.  Thanks for the info D-M.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 16:54:19 by John R » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 17:23:20 »

Yes, thanks for that information, Liam!  Cheesy

As John says, the 0846 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) from Nailsea is generally very reliable and punctual - which is more than can be said for the 0946 FGW (First Great Western) service!  That's rather prone to delays or cancellations / starting from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), for example.  Roll Eyes

I may well see you on the platform at Nailsea tomorrow morning, John!

C. Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 17:35:38 »

Only reason I say it might be late is due to the timings which are very tight for an HST (High Speed Train).

Plymouth - Exeter in 56 minutes, whilst FGW (First Great Western) allow 60 in most cases.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 17:52:15 »

Be interesting to see if they use SDO (Selective Door Opening) at a short platform then.

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 18:01:56 »

Well, the 0946 HST (High Speed Train) uses SDO (Selective Door Opening) at Nailsea, and it does add to dwell times - but only marginally, in my experience.

However, that particular service starts at Weston, so it's not had chance to build up a cumulative delay by the time it reaches Nailsea!  As you say, Liam, it will be interesting to see how an HST on the 0846 from Plymouth actually works!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 18:20:24 »

It hasn't got SDO (Selective Door Opening) either, so all doors are open. The 1711 from Bristol will also be an HST (High Speed Train) giving Dawlish and Teignmouth a daily XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST service.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 18:44:37 »

Well, the 0946 HST (High Speed Train) uses SDO (Selective Door Opening) at Nailsea, and it does add to dwell times - but only marginally, in my experience.

However, that particular service starts at Weston, so it's not had chance to build up a cumulative delay by the time it reaches Nailsea!  As you say, Liam, it will be interesting to see how an HST on the 0846 from Plymouth actually works!  Wink

Thought it started at Paignton?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 18:55:36 »

Ermm, sorry, John, but I have it starting from Plymouth, according to my search result from the National Rail website?  Tongue

John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 18:57:47 »

Ermm, sorry, John, but I have it starting from Plymouth, according to my search result from the National Rail website?  Tongue

I meant the 0946, which I think if I understood you correctly you were suggesting starts from Weston, and hence doesn't have much time to built up SDO (Selective Door Opening) related delays.   
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 19:03:34 »

0738 Paignton - Paddington is the one you are looking for Wink

I often find it runs pretty much on time as far as Weston Super Mud!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 19:05:39 »

In which case, John, you're quite right: my apologies for misunderstanding your point.  Embarrassed

tramway

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 10:10:04 »

It certainly appeared to be on time this morning, rear 43 in new XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) livery, paasengers were certainly happier than those from our neck of the woods, if we were running to time I would have missed it. I arrived at Trowbridge to catch the 07.58 Cardiff train, now the platform is normally quite quiet as the 07.44 Worcester train will have just left which can be quite busy, (not my favorite train as it sits for an eternity at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))). This morning the station was packed due to the 07.44 being delayed, with problems also compounded by lack of train crew for the 07.58, Cardiff train, so not only didn't the Cardiff arrive before the the delayed 07.44, but when the 07.44 finally turned up and was only a single 153 there were obviously looks of horror on many faces.

Fortunately station staff were well informed and walked the platform to tell all waiting passengers that the Cardiff was right behind and there was no need to pack the Worcester train. Cardiff duly turned up as 150+158 (5 cars full and standing by BTM)

We were therefore late off BTM and were held outside the station to allow the HST (High Speed Train) to pass.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 18:42:01 »

To inform those of you using the 0846 from Nailsea (0640 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)-ABD)

Tomorrow this will be formed of the refurbished cross country HST (High Speed Train)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 20:07:47 »

Thanks for that information, Liam!

John - are you still catching the 08:46?  Care to compare notes on this refurbished version tomorrow?  Cheesy

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: