27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:53:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: THE STATE OF OUR TRAINS!  (Read 13370 times)
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:31:43 »

Just lately when I get on my return train 17.37 from Basingstoke to Reading, the state of the carraige leaves a lot to be disired. Is it too much to ask other passangers to take empty cups with them and put in the bin. Or if you have read the metro paper again either recycle and put back on the stand at station or bin.

Also when guards do actually walk through the train to check tickets, why do they not point out dangerous bycycles perched up against the door is a hazard especially if we had to vacate the train in an emergancy?

Also, i havn't really looked but if there are cameras on these trains, can the train company not press charges against those that wreck or damage the carraige?

It would be nice to get on a clean smelling, clean seated train. What about one of the end carrages being designated a quiet coach so that us readers could sit in there without people shouting at each other, or music appliances being so load the disturb other travelers?
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 00:57:21 »

In an ideal world that would be great, but being on a turbo makes it difficult. There isn't many options for bikes on these trains.
Cameras are now on some of the turbo trains I have been on, they should be fitted throughout the turbo 165/6 fleet afaik.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 16:41:53 »

Any plans for the refreshed HSTs (High Speed Train) to get CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) (or wifi for that matter!)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 17:11:09 »

Back on topic.... I catch the train quite regularly from Reading to Basingstoke and back again (well, two or three times a month on average), usually at around 9:30 in the morning outwards, returning around lunchtime. I have to say the train's usually pretty tidy then - I often see the same contract cleaner going through the carriages picking up litter and Metros, to such an extent that we are now, after several years, on nodding terms with one another. At this rate, I fully expect to receive a Christmas card from him next year - no doubt one he's picked out of his bin-bag and flattened out.

I don't doubt your word for one moment, FishermanFred, but I'm wondering if perhaps the cleaner goes off duty after lunchtime, meaning by the time you get on during the evening rush, the train's had all afternoon to get dirtied up again. In which case, it might be worth writing to complain about the state of the trains and asking for clarification of the train cleaner's house of duty - perhaps they could adjust the shift pattern to ensure the train's cleanest when it's busiest (or something).

Agreed that cycles up against doors are a bit of a hazard, particularly on that line. I can't see what can be done about that, really. Trains these days don't lend really themselves to having guards' vans attached to them, sadly.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 23:22:37 »

Hmmm.  Roll Eyes

I certainly agree with FISHERMANFRED about the state of the trains that I use: discarded newspapers, food wrappers, drink cans and coffee cups are everywhere.  However - to be fair (and no doubt due to concerns over security?) - there is very limited provision for such rubbish to be deposited in any enclosed receptacle (that is, a litter bin!) anywhere, these days?

It's not just on board the trains, either: at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) (just for example - it's probably the same elsewhere?) the big red wheeled trolleys on the platforms are locked shut - no chance of dropping your Flake wrapper in there ... so you just drop it on the platform, perhaps (a young female walking in front of me on platform 5 this morning did exactly that).

I'd have challenged her behaviour, but:

1. I would get a load of grief for challenging her behaviour;

2. I would get a load of grief for challenging her behaviour when FGW (First Great Western) don't provide any litter bins these days; and

3. I would be late for work.

Hmmm, again?  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:03:14 »

Around the stations I use regularly (Chippenham, Westbury, Reading), FGW (First Great Western) have put in wall-mounted flip top "bins" which basically just consist of a clear plastic sack. This I think is a vast improvement on the "no bins at all" policy, whilst also being reasonably secure, and limited in the damage they can cause should they blow up.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:40:45 »

Hmmm.  Roll Eyes

I'd have challenged her behaviour, but:.....

You would probably have been told to 'go forth and multiply'...or worse.

Doesn't always work like that though.  This week, whilst on duty, I challenged 2 youths riding cycles on platform 3 at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).  "So ****ing sue us", was the response.  Just then a voice came from behind the refreshment kiosk "We won't be suing as this is a criminal offence." 2 BTP (British Transport Police) officers had observed the whole incident.  10 minutes later, I watched the chastened lads wheel their bikes onto the train, where they sat like lambs throughout the journey.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 11:41:57 »

Around the stations I use regularly (Chippenham, Westbury, Reading), FGW (First Great Western) have put in wall-mounted flip top "bins" which basically just consist of a clear plastic sack. This I think is a vast improvement on the "no bins at all" policy, whilst also being reasonably secure, and limited in the damage they can cause should they blow up.

These have also appeared on the Cotswold Line staffed stations, or actually reappeared. The clear sacks were in use some time ago, but all disappeared after the July 7 2005 London Tube bombings. Could never figure out why, but I suppose someone in BTP (British Transport Police) decided a clear plastic sack could be a good hiding place for a rucksack bomb.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 18:02:49 »

Hmmm.  Roll Eyes

I'd have challenged her behaviour, but:.....

You would probably have been told to 'go forth and multiply'...or worse.

Doesn't always work like that though.  This week, whilst on duty, I challenged 2 youths riding cycles on platform 3 at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).  "So ****ing sue us", was the response.  Just then a voice came from behind the refreshment kiosk "We won't be suing as this is a criminal offence." 2 BTP (British Transport Police) officers had observed the whole incident.  10 minutes later, I watched the chastened lads wheel their bikes onto the train, where they sat like lambs throughout the journey.

Priceless...  Cheesy

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 22:41:19 »

Quite right, Phil: they're better than 'no bins at all'.  However, at Nailsea & Backwell, for example, our local foxes just rip the clear plastic bags open overnight to get the various food scraps from inside.  The result is that the platforms are still a mess for early morning commuters!

Why not just install a thin metal mesh cage around such bins - not enough to cause injury to humans if exploded from within, but enough to deter vermin teeth from without?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 22:46:02 »

Gosh. Have you ever seen a fox on the platform Chris?  (I hope it didn't board a train without buying a ticket first  Grin)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 22:54:13 »

Fair comment, John - I'm assuming, 'fox'.  Wink

Could be 'badger', however: a long time ago, BTP (British Transport Police) attended Nailsea to investigate reports of 'a body beside the track'.  It turned out to be a (dead) badger.  Roll Eyes

As our local station chap can't sell tickets, does he spend his time instead picking up litter from the ripped bin bags?

Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 08:59:01 »

But going back to my origanal point. Trains / carrages, surely if they were cleaned properly (floors washed with a mop & bucket,) daily, this would help to not only keep them smelling fresher, looking brighter but also would this not encourage most people to do their little bit and take their coffee cups with them? I personally just  place my empty cup in the small bin just at the exit of the train, then hopefully when the cleaner does get to that train they just have to empty these bins.

Also as we are entering the cold & flu season, surley by cleaning properly it would help keep infections down. On my local buses they have signs up saying about using tissues, binning used tissues, and washing hands frequently. Maybe this could be looked at for the trains. Even sponsered by a well know tissue manufacturer?

I know it might sound like I have OCD, I promise I don't but I just think if we all did a little bit we would make it alot better for all. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 11:22:20 »

But going back to my origanal point. Trains / carrages, surely if they were cleaned properly (floors washed with a mop & bucket,) daily, this would help to not only keep them smelling fresher, looking brighter but also would this not encourage most people to do their little bit and take their coffee cups with them? I personally just  place my empty cup in the small bin just at the exit of the train, then hopefully when the cleaner does get to that train they just have to empty these bins.

I know it might sound like I have OCD, I promise I don't but I just think if we all did a little bit we would make it alot better for all. 

Most (if not all) trains are cleaned reasonably thoroughly overnight. Floors are washed, litter removed, carpets hoovered, toilets sanitised, etc., and also during the day trains are usually cleaned at Paddington and at certain other major locations. There are also mobile cleaning staff who join trains en-route to clear litter and empty the bins and so on.

However... The great british public have very little respect for behaving in a decent manner and putting their rubbish in a bin. In the west London suburbs especially, most of them consider it perfectly reasonable to just leave half-eaten burgers lying on seats, or to rip up an newspaper into a thousand pieces on the floor, or to go one step further and rip seats, scratch windows or leave their sad little grafitti tags in thick black marker pen everywhere.

The situation could be improved upon a little, but is never going to be perfect. CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) installed on the rest of the Turbo/West fleet would help. More visible staff presence (especially late at night) would help. Better turnround cleaning at Paddington late at night would help. The imminent 'refresh' of the Turbos will help as any environment looks tired and stale after years of not being changed. But what's really needed is a kick up the backside to the British attitude - they certainly wouldn't put up with it in Scandinavia!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 11:48:13 »

I often see the trains at Paddington get cleaned, but I unfortunalty use one of the little shuttle type trains between Reading and Basingstoke and its those I refer to.

However I agree with all of your comments Industry Insider and I agree would not be tolerated in most of Europe.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: