Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:24:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross Country Mk3s Update  (Read 12903 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2008, 17:02:13 »

The first set (XC01) left Doncaster yesterday and is not being tested:
Observations:
*Few tables
*New coach (TCC First Class/Trolley Store with oven/Standard class)
*The toilet at one end of the coach (and luggage rack) has been converted to seating

More soon...
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 18:39:15 »

Are they keeping buffets?

How many carriages/ first carriages / second carriages?

etc.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 19:30:10 »

Formed
PC
TF First Class
TCC (2/3 First Class/ rest has a trolley store with basic cooking equip and 12 standard class seats)
Then 6 standard trailers with TGS and TSD plonked somewhere
PC

so 8 coaches in total.

Some photos here: http://thejunction.fotopic.net/c1584156_1.html
Notice the seats in what would be the toilet window http://thejunction.fotopic.net/p53771227.html
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 20:44:46 »

Thanks for posting the link to the pics of the new XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST (High Speed Train) Liam.

One comment (noticing the seating where a toilet used to be) What is this obsession with providing less toilets these days!?!?! People still need to go just as much as they did when Noah was a lad...thats one thing that hasn't ever changed.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 21:10:08 »

Surely the fact that they have 8 coaches (instead of 4 or 5) means they don't need to cram seats in the toilet area!

And D/M, I got a little lost with your abbreviations. Is that 2 coaches of first class? Or is one a buffet?

Thanks for the pictures.

Looks good, but still no destination screens near the doors.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 21:22:06 »

Have to say it looks pretty smart.  The seats look the same as the refreshed NX HST (High Speed Train) that made an appearance during the summer.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 23:13:49 »

It sounds  like there isnt much of a capacity increase in first class to me? 

However, i like the idea of removing some toilets, as lets be honesr, you dont need 2 in each carraige on an 8 carriage train!!

What cooking facilities are onboard?  And why are they even needed if the shops are all being removed eventually? 

I look forward to trying this coach when it is doing its rounds!!

However, I wonder if we will see similar work done to the Voyagers?  Especially the onboard shop and extra disabled bog?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 00:29:50 »

What cooking facilities are onboard?  And why are they even needed if the shops are all being removed eventually?

Catering kit is basically standard buffet set-up: microwave oven, hot water supply, but without a counter, just space to park the trolley between trips up the train. I presume the intention is to offer same first class complimentary hot food as they do now on Voyagers, such as paninis and breakfast baps, hence the oven. Not clear whether standard class will be able to order hot snacks from the trolley stewards though.

TCC, as one of the picture captions says, means trailer composite catering. Composite is long-standing railway terminology for a coach containing more than one class of accommodation, in this case first and standard, though these XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) ones and some in Hull Trains' Pioneer sets are about the only ones operating on the modern railway.
I think that apart from a driving trailer coach in the Class 442 electric units (I'm waiting to see if these survive the 442s' return to action with Southern), the last new build composites were BR (British Rail(ways)) Mk1 coaches.

Fewer toilets. Hmm, well let's wait and see on that one. As has been discussed elsewhere, FGW (First Great Western) sets have a nasty habit of running out of water in the tanks if turnarounds are cut short, even with a few more toilets available to start with. And XC's long routes, conflicting with all manner of other services, have a habit of picking up delay minutes, so maybe it won't look such a smart idea on a summer Saturday, with a packed train that got turned back fast after arriving late somewhere in the South West and is out of water on reaching Yorkshire, with a good few miles still to go to reach Newcastle or Edinburgh.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 16:25:39 »

I think are all missing the fact that there will only be one luggage rack per coach as aside to FGW (First Great Western) who have 2.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 17:32:12 »

I think are all missing the fact that there will only be one luggage rack per coach as aside to FGW (First Great Western) who have 2.
Angry And one of the reasons that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) said for bring back HSTs (High Speed Train) was for more luggage space!

It is a shame there will be no double voyagers as a result of these 5 new HSTs, as VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) have nicked them (to run under the wires!).

Angry

Not happy.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 00:39:10 »

as VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) have nicked them (to run under the wires!).

Virgin didn't nick them, they were allocated by DfT» (Department for Transport - about), and in any case, the extra SuperVoyagers are to beef up the Chester and North Wales services (and replace dragged Pendolinos on this route as they are needed for extra electric services), so Virgin needs to use diesel trains of some sort, due to the lack of wires west of Crewe, plus they have to tilt to get paths in among Pendolinos, so SuperVoyagers are the only game in town.

12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 01:13:38 »

Are they keeping buffets?

they made it qute clear in the Franchise specification  that shops were out and trollies in!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 20:48:30 »

and they are having jolly old SDO (Selective Door Opening) too

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
r james

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 07:33:09 »

I thought it had been discussed several times that there will be some doule voyagers, as there are fewer diagrams to be fulfilled, with the remaining stock, even after the final units transfer to Virgin.  I would be very shocoked if we dont see more double voyagers coming up. 
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 17:22:53 »

No double Voyagers at the moment (I think)

5 HSTs (High Speed Train) go in;

5 Super Voyagers go out;

So I doubt there will be any/ any more double Voyagers.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: