27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 01:04:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: December Timetable  (Read 8177 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 18:50:36 »

The 1600 from Penzance goes to London Paddington, so not sure how that would benefit service entering Cornwall?
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 18:54:19 »

The 1600 from Penzance goes to London Paddington, so not sure how that would benefit service entering Cornwall?

I suggested scrapping a service that stops at Saltash and St Germans which the 1706 forms once it arrives at Liskeard. Which would then increase the gap between services for Saltash and St Germans, which is where the 1600 from Penzance comes in to fill in this gap.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 22:21:51 »

The 1725 of Plymouth does not need to call at STS or SGM, never seen more than a handfull of people getting off and with FGW (First Great Western) now saying that it cost's an extra ^100 in fuel to stop and power up from each station then hopefully we can have some "express" services back! sorry Richard but with services from Plymouth to Sts and Sgm at 1555, 1706 and 1812 then theres no need to slow down an already slow 1406 Padd-Pnz for a handfull of people that have another train 40 mins later! 1600 from Pnz connects perfect with the 1749 Lsk-Ply so whats the point in slowing that one even more?

As for the 1814, if the current 1812 Newquay service is anything to go by then two cars will be more than adequate!
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 23:05:41 »

Well I use that train everyday, and would say that more than a handful alight at Saltash with quite a few boarding. The stop does not cost ^100, I suspect that figure is for a stop/restart from say 80-100mph. As the linespeed at this point is just 15mph, the fuel cost and probably more importantly the time cost is much less. Certainly a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) stop costs just 1 minute on the timetable, a HST (High Speed Train) stop cannot be much more.

For me a train that actually runs almost 50 minutes, later, not 40 is not acceptable, I like to see my family!

As for the 1600 ex Penzance, that was only a requirement if the 1749 were to not run, although it would give a much better spread of times. As I said when it did stop, when there was no 1749 ex Liskeard in summer 2007 it was very popular.

As far as the 1812 is concerned, it will be the 1814 to Penzance and will have to carry any passengers alighting the CrossCountry service that currently leaves Plymouth at 1755, we shall have to wait and see..
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 21:43:25 »

Well I use that train everyday, and would say that more than a handful alight at Saltash with quite a few boarding. The stop does not cost ^100, I suspect that figure is for a stop/restart from say 80-100mph. As the linespeed at this point is just 15mph, the fuel cost and probably more importantly the time cost is much less.
Maybe for Saltash but what about St Germans?
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 23:50:24 »

Well I use that train everyday, and would say that more than a handful alight at Saltash with quite a few boarding. The stop does not cost ^100, I suspect that figure is for a stop/restart from say 80-100mph. As the linespeed at this point is just 15mph, the fuel cost and probably more importantly the time cost is much less.
Isn't St Germans approach speed severely limited by the viaduct ?
I hate using the 17:25 service as it dawdles through Cornwall, taking the 17:55 is generally just as bad as it is often held up by the 17:25 sometimes as early as Liskeard then St Austell, Truro, Redruth and most frustratingly at Penponds.
Both services are quite good at missing the St Ives branch.
Flippin annoying when I've been travelling for 8 hours to get in a couple of hours birdwatching in Devon.

Nick4pafc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 16:21:26 »

Theres a new 17.55 in the timetable now operated by fgw to replace the xc service.

engine and coaches maybe HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 19:54:31 »

Isn't St Germans approach speed severely limited by the viaduct ?
I hate using the 17:25 service as it dawdles through Cornwall, taking the 17:55 is generally just as bad as it is often held up by the 17:25 sometimes as early as Liskeard then St Austell, Truro, Redruth and most frustratingly at Penponds.
Both services are quite good at missing the St Ives branch.
Flippin annoying when I've been travelling for 8 hours to get in a couple of hours birdwatching in Devon.

65mph over St Germans viaduct.
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 22:00:14 »

Crosscountry have only two trains from Penzance to "up north" an 0625 Pnz-Edb and an 0940 Pnz-Man and a 2207 Pnz-Ply stopper.

The National Rail Timetable shows:
06:25 To Edinburgh
08:28 to Glasgow
09:40 to Manchester

In the down direction there are arrivals at PNZ:
20:17 from Glasgow
21:50 from Aberdeen
22:51 from Edinburgh

I heard a rumour that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are reviewing which trains they intend to operate with HSTs (High Speed Train). Anyone any news on this?

TJ

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 11:39:07 »

The plan for HSTs (High Speed Train) was as follows.

1V19 06.00 LDS-PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) > 1S51 12.21 PLY-GLC (Glasgow Central)
1V23 06.32 YRK-PLY > 1S55 13.21 PLY-EDB
1V31 06.08 EDB-PLY > 1E63 15.21 PLY-YRK
1V39 06.32 DUN-PLY > 1E73 17.21 PLY-LDS

Can't say i've heard any rumours of change as the diagrams are fairly sensible from a maintenance perspective with two sets finishing at Craigentinny and 2 in Neville Hill.
peterswest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 12:45:25 »

"65mph over St Germans viaduct."

Its 50MPH Down and 70MPH up Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: