21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 04:21:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Ian Hislop & Beeching Report Anniversary - BBC4 Thursday 28/03/13 2100hrs  (Read 20734 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 21:53:49 »

Yet more examples of 70s cuts! Roll Eyes

Yes, the Bewdley to Kidderminster line is now part of the SVR, and although very beneficial to the area, a mainline service would be of better use to the locals.

Unfortunately, the line through Stourport was ripped away when a nearby power station was demolished and houses were built. Angry

And look at the price tag to rebuild 1/2 of the Oxbridge line! Why couldn't they have kept it open? Cry
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 22:40:49 »

Yet more examples of 70s cuts! Roll Eyes

Yes, the Bewdley to Kidderminster line is now part of the SVR, and although very beneficial to the area, a mainline service would be of better use to the locals.

Bourne End - High Wycombe, Didcot - Southampton via Newbury

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
John R

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 22:53:48 »

Though DNS (Domain name service) closed in 1962, so was a precursor to Beeching rather than happening long after.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 22:16:15 »

Possibly as damaging as the Beeching closures were the BR (British Rail(ways)) rationalisations in the 70/80 such as Cotswold line and Salisbury to Exeter and Swindon To Kemble single tracking, fortunately Kemble to Stroud and Glouscester didn't happen.

I would suggest about a third of the Beeching closures should have been kept open, but agree that some of the post Beeching closures were worse such as in my area Bourne End to High Wycombe and the Oxbridge line. Had both been open Bucks could have had a train service connecting Slough (in Bucks to 74?) Maidenhead to High Wycombe, Aylesbury Milton Keynes and Oxford Bicester to Milton Keynes. All teh principle towns of the county. With a facing connection at Claydon an Oxford Bicester Aylesbury (London) service.

That's my one big critism of Beeching was he took the existing train services on lines  which when you looked at them were basically pre grouping services. If it started MR (Midland Railway) it ended Midland. Little  thought was given to rerouting or possibly putting in spurs to provide a service between staions that had not previously had a through service but which would non the less keep staions open but allow lengths of line to be shut.

I don't know whether anyone can think of another example but the only place I know of where this was done with  passenger service was to put in a link between the R&SB (Signal Box) line from Swansea to Treherbert and the GW (Great Western) line from Port Talbot to Abergwynfi line at Cymmer East Junction and Gelli Junction. This enabled a mile of R&SB line to be closed eliminating a tunnel and a viaduct where the lines ran parallel up the same valley.

Of Course Beeching did have good effect on the amazing number of lines in places such as the Nottinghamshire coalfield whereby with building spurs particularly at Shirebrook and the introduction of MGRs BR were able to serve most of the then open collieries with a single branch instead of the two or perhaps three pre-gouping connections most  still had. Unfortunately they all lost their passenger services.

It took the reopening of the link from Annesley to Kirkby in Ashfield to restablish passenger servces to Mansfield. This is interesting in that it used the routes of three pre grouping companies. The Midland, GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) and GN although at different levels to the original routes.   
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 23:29:00 »

Out of interest, when is the South-West programme repeated, as I am sure I read somewhere it would be repeated soon  Huh

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 20:13:41 »

BBC4, 20:30, Sunday 30 November - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3826.0

Chris  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 22:16:06 »

Thanks!  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 22:18:35 »

We moderators do have some uses!  Grin Grin Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 22:42:38 »

We moderators do have some uses!  Grin Grin Grin

I feel misrepresented here! Clearly I don't! Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 22:48:59 »

Erm ... correction: it's on Thursday 27 November, at 20:30, on BBC4 - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fpvr4

Roll Eyes

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 09:21:56 »

May be Beeching was brutal, may be his mate and Government boss Marples (of Tarmac fame) had an agenda to build motorways but I suspect that many of the closures would have happened anyway but gradually and while dieing that would have dragged down even the mainlines by drawing on resources.

BR (British Rail(ways)) had not real choice even in the 70's and 80's to close stations and line's the DoT gave BR only so much money required efficiencies each year the choice was maintain the major routes and secondary or close bits that lost a lot of money.  I can remember in the Thatcher years whole sale moratoriums on track renewals and other maintenance that lasted for 6 months year after year basically because the DoT reduced the either the budget half way through the year, never gave enough in the first place or there was a major incident that used all the cash up.  Even when BR sold off its land the proceeds when to HMG and BR had to grovel for it back, the HST (High Speed Train) fleet was paid for by HMG lending (yes lending) land sale money back to BR.

Fortunately the person that Thatcher put in as Beeching Mk2 (Mark 2 coach) turned out the be a good freind of the railways, Peter Parker

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 01:23:02 »

Apologies for bumping this one up, but I'm sure I would have replied at the time  Grin

The document that paved the way for the post-Beeching closures can be found in the link below.
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BRB_NetworkForDevelopment1967.pdf

That's my one big critism of Beeching was he took the existing train services on lines  which when you looked at them were basically pre grouping services. If it started MR (Midland Railway) it ended Midland. Little  thought was given to rerouting or possibly putting in spurs to provide a service between staions that had not previously had a through service but which would non the less keep staions open but allow lengths of line to be shut.

In my view, one line which would certainly have benefitted from the above approach would have the Great Central Railway. If a chord from the Great Central to the Nuneaton-Leicester line had been installed in the Whetstone area, this would have enabled GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) services to run into the Midland station at Leicester, and potentially continue north from there to Loughborough, Nottingham and beyond, while allowing the original GC route through those places (which would have been seen as a duplication) to be abandoned.

From both a strategic passenger and freight perspective, I believe that a London-Aylesbury-Brackley-Rugby-Lutterworth-Leicester line would have survived comfortably into today's era.

Unfortunately, this didnt happen. For a very good insight into this most controversial of line closures, click on the link below.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.willis/history/time/index.html

Could the line still be reinstated, even now? Well, as I'm sure some of you know, the reopening of the line between Aylesbury-Leicester, with new stations at Brackley and the M1/M6 intersection north of Rugby, is included as a "secondary aspiration" (but not, unfortunately, as a cast-iron commitment) in the Chiltern Franchise Agreement (page 379 of the link below.)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/passenger/publicregister/current/cr/chiltern.pdf

Ruth Kelly even floated the idea in the Commons in January 2008. However, getting the line through Rugby could be nigh on impossible, in the face of likely significant opposition (sparked in part by Central Railway's earlier plans to run lorries on trains on the line close to homes built in recent years), and the fact that some of the route through Rugby forms part of a nature reserve (links below.)
http://www.rugbytoday.co.uk/news/Plans-to-open-historic-rail.3684424.jp

http://www.rugbytoday.co.uk/editors-viewpoint/Editor39s-Comment-Great-Central-line.3684405.jp

http://www.cwn.org.uk/business/a-z/c/chiltern-railways/2000/08/000810-new-central-scheme.htm

http://www.rugby.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=468&pageNumber=37

Indeed, part of the trackbed at the former Rugby Central station is now a pond....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rugby_Central_station_remains.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rugby_Central_station_remains2.jpg

On a related note, the two preserved Great Central Railway organisations have ambitious plans to re-open the original GC route between Nottingham-Leicester, with interchanges with the mainline at Loughborough and trams at Nottingham (link below.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Central_Steam_Railway

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 18:20:06 »

Although I am pro nature reserves, the rail link would do more for the environment.

And as for the noise - its a "not in my back yard" argument. I am sure everyone in the UK (United Kingdom) would embrace less lorries on the roads!

But Chiltern would really need 125 mph trains (plus more track capacity in north London, plus another platform at Marylebone) to run a service quick enough to draw road users off the M1.

I also think this route should be looked at to extend Eurostar to the Midlands ("The Midlands Parkway" station?). The Grand Central route is dead straight - easy to have 200 mph running.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 18:57:42 »

Beeching was, with the benefit of hindsight, wrong to close the GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) the rebuild of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) would have been oh so much easier but why struggle today, 40 years on, to reopen a route unless it can serve populations en route, a reopening of the line from Aylesbury via Brackley to Rugby might have some merit but realistically how many people will it serve, the better aspiration is to build a new dedicated high speed route, with key interchanges and even new local lines if rquired

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 21:36:17 »

Although I am pro nature reserves, the rail link would do more for the environment.

And as for the noise - its a "not in my back yard" argument. I am sure everyone in the UK (United Kingdom) would embrace less lorries on the roads!

Not the Rugby folks, from what I can gather....Central Railway were so taken aback by the scale of opposition that their revised proposal bypassed the town altogether.

Here's an overhead shot of part of the route through Rugby (link below.)
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/r/rugby_central/index46.shtml

A good further selection of Rugby Central photos can be found below.
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/r/rugby_central/index2.shtml

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: